Coleman Peak 1 Model 400

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ryant123, Jun 16, 2020.

1. ryant123 Canada

I've had this stove for about 4 years and it works brilliantly, however whoever owned it prior did some damage to either the feet or the posts where the feet attach, to the point that the tank now touches the ground instead of the feet. This makes the stove somewhat unstable, especially on uneven surfaces.

Has anyone encountered this before? How would one suggest fixing this?

2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@ryant123

Welcome to CCS.

Some pictures of the stove and problem area will help us help you.

3. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Yes photos might help,,,

I’ve had a number of 400’s, have one out in the shop now, but I’m not certain sure if I’ve ever done anything with them beyond lighting them, and then passing them along to someone else. Always nifty to encounter someone who has long used a stove I’ve never given much thoughts to actually using...

4. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

Are the feet deformed? Wondering if too much weight was put on the stove and the inside edges of the feet (that lock out the feet) got bent. If the "foot mounts" which are welded to the tank got deformed that's a more difficult fix.

5. ryant123 Canada

Here are the feet and posts coming from the tank

Attached Files:

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

WOW! Looks like the feet were bent back, FAR too much!!! Not sure if you can bend them back to being usable. Worth a try, though. Good luck, and God Bless!

Doc

7. William Ritchie

Had to look at mine to compare . The tank posts on the example I have are nearly straight up and down where the photos show a distinct angle to your tank posts , as some one said to much weight ? . From the surface rust visible paint bubbles I believe I would inspect the tank carefully inside and out to see if the metal thickness may be compromised allowing the welded post area to bend . If they seem solid I would say that soldering or brazing a small square of material to the foot where it makes the Stop contact with the post would be better than bending the tank . Good luck with it WR

8. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

IMG_20200616_171528 2.jpg

A quick fix:
    Add a piece of flat bar (where I've highlighted red) or even just a bolt (file the head to the correct height) to act as a shim and get the legs to the correct angle.

9. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

Wow, it looks like somebody stood on yours. On mine the tank posts are also straight, and sit in dimples in the bottom of the tank. (I was going to take a photo, but find that both my phone and other camera are dead. Maybe tomorrow...)

I wouldn't try bending the posts back, because of possible metal fatigue that would introduce to the tank bottom. Coming up with some kind of shim on the feet, as suggested above, seems your best bet. And check to make sure there are no stress cracks where the posts deformed the tank bottom.

These are nice stoves; I hope you're able to get it working safely.

....Arch

10. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

@ryant123
    re: Has anyone encountered this before?

This issue has been discussed w/members at least once (2014).
    In that case it was slightly bent, your damage is worse than that one.

I'm not aware of a fix that is tried and true (a fix that we know held up to regular use).

In above link, some newbie OleManColeman offered comment below on topic:
    (OleManColeman :-k… never heard of the guy but his initials are OMC, ha)

Once bent, bending anything back makes it "look" better (a possible fix but read on) but bending back adds more stress and in most cases makes it weaker and further cracks the finish (inside and out).
    A flat rock was mentioned, similarly a flat magnet(s) stuck to stove might be helpful (to slip under feet). I'm not recommending "your" fix but inserting a wedge also comes to mind possibly from a chunk of single edge razor. If a wedge slipped between the foot and lug straightens it up then a dab of glue to hold a wedge in-place may be an option...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  11. ryant123 Canada

@OMC

Thanks for your reply. I think the damage on mine is far worse than what was posted in the original thread. As the poster in the other thread commented, I am weary of bending the foot posts back, as I don't want to weaken the tank further. I might look into gluing a wedge on the posts to prevent the feet from deploying as far up. Will post progress pics.

12. ryant123 Canada

@William Ritchie

Thanks for your reference (noting that your foot posts are vertical). I imagine it got a good squish at one point.

13. ryant123 Canada

@ArchMc
    Yes I agree, it's a great stove. I bought it for $9. Looking at stoves these days that are refillable and have simmering capabilities run upwards of $200, so I want to keep this one going as long as possible.

14. ryant123 Canada

So I consider it to be a success, however inelegant. I used a flat metal piece, some picture wire, and shoe goo to prevent the feet from deploying completely. The tank is now off the ground and much stabler. While I would have liked for the solution to be a lot cleaner, I think from a functional point of view this will work exactly as intended.
    Thanks for the help everyone. IMG_20200618_194406.jpg IMG_20200618_194426.jpg

15. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

A hard moon landing at some point....

16. William Ritchie

Heating water for cleaning engine parts in a 20 gallon metal trash can ? Knew a guy who went thru 3ea 400 stoves dong exactly that . He did use some bricks for support though . Hey the fix worked and thats what counts .