Coleman Peak 1

Discussion in 'Coleman No:400' started by Dan78, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Dan78

Wife just picked this up at a thrift store for $5, oiled the leather and fired right up. But, don't know anything about this stove besides it's a model 400.

1530061964011350722878.jpg

2. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

probably the best stove of this shape that coleman made. The two lever arrangement makes it very controllable from full blast to simmer.
    Certainly prefer mine to the modern 442 dual fuel version
    Regards
    John

3. TheSandMan United States

You'll love that stove, and that seems like a fine example and a good find at $5! What mo/yr?

I have that same stove and box (with that same dent!). Mine is an 8/79. Bought it new in '80 for motorcycle camping and it was seldom used. I only recently rediscovered it after using a 442 for years. Well, in truth, I went through a Kool-Aid phase. I started backpacking and got a stove that was only suitable for kicking dirt on. An MSR Whisperlite, I think it was called. It was the stove to have. A name that shall live in infamy... After becoming disgusted with that I went back to basics but the Kool-Aid was that you had to have dual fuel capability. Why I'll never know; it's never seen anything but Coleman fuel. The 442 was heavy so I got a 123. Some time back I found the 400 again and we're enjoying a bit of a bromance.

The stove can be a bit finicky to get into the box; I tweaked the 'Lo'Hi' lever just a bit. Mine has a bag it goes into first, so it may be a bit tighter to go in.

4. Dan78

Found a date code of 3/79 on the side. Operation seems to be spot on, a lot less hassle than my Optimus too!

5. TheSandMan United States

Nice! Wait until you make your first cuppa joe and find you can simmer the pot so low that it will just keep the coffee warm!

6. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

I bought a Coleman 400 Peak 1 stove in 1984, and it still goes very well. I have only replaced the rubber pump cup (not an "O" ring), and the fuel cap seal. A brilliant stove, burns hot and right down to a gentle simmer. One of the best, a little heavy though.

Cheers
    Simon Foxxx

7. AngryDaddyBird Banned

It’s probaby the easiest stove to use and adjust its simmer ability is just outstanding?

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Good Morning, @Dan78 , and All,

The Coleman Peak 1 Model 400 was our very first one-burner backpacking stove, and as we already had larger suitcase Coleman stoves, it was like adding a smaller brother to the larger, car camping stoves. We took it backpacking in the Sierra, and out across the desert, as well as in our local mountains, and it never failed us. Still works to this very day, and now I have found, and bought, a few more of them, fearing, and rightfully so, that the Coleman Co. would eventually fall from it's lofty perch, as they moved further and further away from Coleman's original concepts, and cheap-out on more modern products. And, sadly, so they have!!

Dan78, your score of this excellent Model 400 is a real find, and the price is outstanding!! Hearty congratulations, Sir, on a job well done! Here's to many wonderful years of use, and excellent service from your new Baby!! Thanks for sharing, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. TheSandMan United States

Just got back from a five day trip with the 400 doing coffee duty every morning. The thing has really gotten cold-blooded. It works like a champ at 20°C when I do my pre-trip test run in the garage, but at 7°C it takes about two minutes and some shake, rattle 'n roll gymnastics just to get the sucker lit off. Once it's going, it goes strong, though. I don't remember that it used to be that way at only 7°C, as that's not very cold...

I still love the thing but think I'll run some cleaner through with a couple of tanks of fuel and see if things don't improve some.