Coleman Photo Shoot

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by shagratork, Oct 2, 2007.

1. brassnipplekey

Sunday , mid afternoon brew ......... Coleman Solus (Silent Kerosene).... Made in Canada

PICT2613.jpg

PICT2619.jpg

I dont know the age of this stove ...but interesting to note the 'Coleman' locking non return /pump valve ... a great feature ................ shame the same cant be said for the ridiculously small fuel fill hole & 'fiddly' pressure relief valve . But overall a good solid stove & a Discus model :D :D

Brass , Discus shaped , Paraffin ....... Hits all my buttons :lol: :roll:

Nick

2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Here a non 'discus' Canadian Coleman Solus picked up at the Newark gathering. I've had every variant (I believe) in the past but let them go - thought it was time to revisit them. Looks like they took a classic design & complicated it! The filler cap washer was a pain to renew & like Nick said too small a hole for fuelling! The burner on this is a bit choked but ran well enough. It's not the original burner but I have one somewhere when I have time to look.

|imgRemoved|
    solus_1b.jpg

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Unfortunately I only have one Coleman stove.....but I was determined to take part in this weekend's Coleman photo shoot and I hope I chose a unique and interesting venue for the shoot;

P1080006_edited.jpg

As you can see, this is Dunnet Head, Longitude 58 deg 40.3 min. North. Latitude 03 deg 22.4 min West. It is as far North as you can go on the British Mainland without getting your feet wet.
    You can see the Orkney Main Island in the background.

P1080021.jpg

Here is the featured stove, a paraffin-fuelled Coleman 550B.

P1080019_edited.jpg

Here is a photo of Kerophile ( taken by his long-suffering wife) taking a photo for his stove-mates on the CCS website. It was a bright, but cool day with a temeperature of about 7 deg C. and a fresh wind from the North.

DSCN0004_edited-23.jpg

This is the Coleman boiling up a kettle for our afternoon coffee. In the background you can see the Dunnet Head Lighthouse and one of the Orkney Islands. Dunnet Head Lighthouse marks the most northerly point of the mainland of the British Isles - being 2.35 miles north of John O'Groats. The nearest point of the Orkney isles lies some 6.75 miles north, across the Pentland Firth. The LIghthouse was built in 1831, the engineer being Robert Stevenson, grandfather of the famous author Robert Louis Stevenson.

DSCN0005_edited-24.jpg

DSCN0006_edited-25.jpg

The cliffs at Dunnet head are about 100 metres ( over 300 feet) high. Those on Orkney exceed 300 metres (over 1000 feet).

DSCN0013_edited-14.jpg

P1080024_edited.jpg

Here is a shot from the cliff top. It is difficult to get an impression of the scale of these 300 feet high cliffs, but you can see the swell coming in from the North Atlantic. In the background you can just make out the Northern Coast of Scotland as it extends to the West.

DSCN0014_edited-12.jpg

Next we visited the croft ( small farm) of some friends who live about 3 miles from the lighthouse and keep their cattle outdoors, up on the Head, over the Winter. These are Highland cattle... a very tough breed.

DSCN0017_edited-9.jpg

This is a young bull, who was very friendly and curious about the visitors.

DSCN0018_edited-7.jpg

And this is his companion, more interested in eating before the onset of Winter and severe weather.

I hope you enjoyed the photos.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

The Coleman photo-shoot weekend was always going to be difficult for me because I don't posess Coleman stoves and know next to nothing about them. However David decided to bring his Coleman stoves to my house.

David 'I'm not a stovie' has a nice and growing collection of Coleman stoves. I decided that I would contribute by cooking with my Coleman oven. David said he was going to cook spaghetti bolognese and so I thought I would try and bake a pizza.

Before David arrived, I started the bread dough mix - strong white bread flour, a little sea salt, yeast and warm water.
    ColemanSoot002.jpg

Next - what am I going to heat the Coleman oven with? I have a 1946 Coleman 530 but it would not be powerful enough to heat the oven (the forecast was for cold, wet weather - how unusual?). I do not have a Coleman suitcase stove so I decided to use a Primus No 2 (sorry!).

Although not mint, I had never lit this 1939 stove before. It used to have a mint Hipolito burner but I got a mint Primus burner from Nick and passed on the Hipolito burner to Keith for his stove. Some of you will have seen my lovely No 2 stove at Newark in the last couple of years.

Here it is before lighting.
    ColemanSoot005.jpg

Anyway, David arrived and started to set up his stoves.
    ColemanSoot009.jpg

I thought that I had better get the No 2 lit and start heating the oven.
    ColemanSoot007.jpg

The temperature, of course, was cool.
    ColemanSoot008.jpg

But the temperature would soon rise with this.
    ColemanSoot006.jpg

In the mean time, David gets his spag bog underway.
    ColemanSoot025.jpg

ColemanSoot026.jpg

My dough has risen well so I roll it out for the pizza.
    ColemanSoot010.jpg

I then relise that I don't have the topping I was going to use. It was going to be a pepperoni pizza, but my pepperoni was a month out of date and so it became a German peppered salami and onion pizza instead.
    ColemanSoot011.jpg

Better check the oven - yes it is up to temperature.
    ColemanSoot028.jpg

Better get the pizza in the oven.
    ColemanSoot030.jpg

ColemanSoot031.jpg

While the spag bog and pizza are cooking, I put on the kettle for a cup of coffee.
    ColemanSoot034.jpg

About 10 minutes later, the pizza is done.
    ColemanSoot032.jpg

ColemanSoot033.jpg

I cut up the pizza and David serves up his spag bog.
    ColemanSoot036.jpg

ColemanSoot037.jpg

After the meal, David displays his Coleman 'Model No 4A Instant LIghting Self Heating Iron' - made in ENGLAND!!!
    By then it was dark and so the scene was lit by David's Coleman gas light - with fuel bottle very kindly supplied by Lance.
    ColemanSoot039.jpg

Another very successful County Durham micro-meet.

5. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

No groupies this time?

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi Alan

I am afraid the groupies couldn't make it this time.
    I got the whole sordid tale from David. The photos of that weekend at Usha Gap did not show that there were in fact 17 groupies - and I bloody well missed it!!!

7. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Repast Italiano benissimo!

8. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello,
    So far the photos have been outstanding. Sorry I don't have the views of the Ocean or an oven going but, I did do my best to keep up with the theme. The wife left for a buisness trip to Florida today. Upon picking up my Daughtger this evening she asked about what we were doing for dinner. When the wife is away we usually go for Indian food or Sushi or something different and spicey. So I told here we would be eating out back as I planned to cook on the patio. I used only the light from the lanterns and lamp. No flash, so some may seem a bit dark.

I used a Coleman 413G and a cast iron griddle to cook potatos, sausage and chicken. Employing a Coleman speedster to steam cauliflower in chicken stock and added butter and cheese at the end and gave it a good smash. You can see the rest for yourself. My only problem was the 505B as I couldn't get it to simmer it would only burn high so the speedster had to do double duty.

patio_1.jpg

Patio lit with a Coleman table lamp and two 220 double mantle lanterns.

413G_1.jpg

Sausages, and Chicken

speedster_1.jpg

Cauliflower steaming

table_1.jpg

Table all set

table_set.jpg

Ready to eat

kid.jpg

Dad! Do you have to take my picture ??

smashed.jpg

Smashed califlower

perc.jpg

Perc'd coffee for after dinner.

Chuck

9. Alberta Pete

I just couldn't get it together this weekend for the photo shoot ,with a wedding and numerous other things happening it just didn't work out. So I will post these old pics of some of my Coleman goodies and try to do better nxt time. My apologies
    IM000121.jpg
    th_IM000167.jpg
    th_IM000413.jpg
    th_IM000775.jpg
    th_IM000790.jpg
    IM000131.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Unfortunately, I found myself in the same boat as Pete, and as painting turned out to consume my entire weekend, didn't get to take new Coleman photos. Oh well.... :cry: :oops: :roll:

So, like Pete, I'm "recycling" some older Coleman photos, just because....

On the night in question, I used a Feather 400 to cook up a quick and easy, yet delicious, dinner for myself. First, here's the Feather 400, just after having been fired up.

DSCN2722.jpg

First course, of course, was a spot of Earl Grey tea! Yum!!

DSCN2721.jpg

Next, some very thick, smoky bacon, which we get at our local butcher's, here on the mountain. It's probably the very best bacon I've ever eaten! Two jumbo eggs await their turn in the skillet.

DSCN2724.jpg

When all was said and done, VOILA: A nice, quick, easy, and delicious meal, topped off with a frosty glass of Newcastle Brown Ale!!

DSCN2727.jpg

Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

11. Sketch R.I.P.

I couldn't do this one either over the weekend. I might try to get out and sometime this week and do something, but the way this week is shaping up, I don't know. Got to get those snow tires on the van - snow is creeping down the mountains, and snow showers are in the forecast later this week. The temperature is steadily creeping downward and if it does snow, it's here to stay.

12. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

Right off i just want to say i'm not a "collector"--
    somehow i just managed to accumulate a fair pile of Coleman stoves--

PA060007.jpg

it's a good thing Coleman fuel is cheap---
    all lined up and ready to go are--four--425E's-one 425F-and a 425D--at the
    end of the line i put a oven on one of the E's--
    on the bench--a Speedmaster 500..a 502..two 400A's-Peak Feather- one 400--
    one Apex two and at the end a 508--not working and waiting for a new generator.

on a side table a few odd ducks--a 530 pocket Stove..a lamp with a pot holder
    attachment...a propane stove..and a 502 with a Heat Drum attachment

PA060012.jpg

with safety gear at the ready i waited for dusk so i could get a good shot
    of all the stoves at FULL BLAST----

PA060021.jpg

a few minor adjustments---
    PA060028.jpg

and the BIG BURN is off and running :shock: :shock:

PA060043.jpg

13. Prindel

Awesome Dave, big fun to see them at night like that. Ed

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Brother Dave,

OUTSTANDING!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

You have a great collection of Coleman goodies, and you did what I had originally planned to do: show as many of them as possible!! Way to go, and well done, Lad!!! Great photos, great stoves, and a fine effort on your part, Dave! I love the CCS apron, and the fire extinguisher, too!! 8) :D :D :lol: :lol: Again, well done! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

15. oops56

Dam outdoor Xmas. lights :lol: :lol: Well if you don't collect stoves do you rent them out.

16. 111T

111T Subscriber

fantastic!

17. TrainManny

Hi Fellow Stovies,

I?m almost embarrassed to participate after seeing the amazing stuff on this thread. Great stoves and great food on every post.

Between an all day Soccer Tournament and searching for a new family member at Labrador Retriever Rescue centers, I never got a chance to light something up on the weekend. Yesterday was Columbus Day and schools were off so I took the family on a hike up Giant Ledge in the Catskill Mountains.

Trailhead.jpg

Here?s the topo map of the area.

GiantLedge.jpg

The weather was damp and windy as we left the trailhead, but Mother Nature had pity on us and the day slowly cleared. Lefty and Princess Fluffy at the trail junction for the ridge.

TrailJunction.jpg

Some excellent trail maintenance.

Stairs.jpg

Searching for the perfect leaf.

Leaves.jpg

The best one?

FallColor.jpg

There are a series of open ledges with commanding views at the top. We made hot chocolate with my Coleman Feather 400 and watched the sun break through the clouds. The stove handled the stiff breeze without a windscreen.

BrewUp.jpg

I'm going to have to learn to cook more than boiling water with my stoves. I was so impressed with the culinary prowess of CCS members this weekend.

ColemanFeather400.jpg

Slide Mountain to the South is the tallest mountain in the range at over 4000ft. (View 1)

SlideMountain.jpg

Northern View with the shoulder of Panther Mountain. (View 2)

GiantLedgeView.jpg

Looking West from one of the campsites on the ridge. (View 3)

GiantLedgeView2.jpg

Thanks for coming along on my Coleman Catskill Hike!

See ya on the trail,

Manny

p.s. Does Dave Gibson's big burn qualify for a Coleman Record? :lol:

18. 111T

111T Subscriber

Great shots Manny! The trees look like they are near peak.

19. spudz

All been great stuff so far guys, thanks.

Message to a mod., any chance the 2 threads could be united into just the 1 ?

cheers

20. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Spudz,
    I had asked Ross the same thing. There is no way to do that under the current release of forum software but, the newer version will allow merging :D

Chuck