Coleman Single Burner -- Max Pot Diameter?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by bwb, Jul 28, 2021.

1. bwb United States

Has anyone seen any guidelines for max pot diameter on Coleman single burners? Specifically, the 533.

I haven't seen anything in the warnings and instructions, though the current retail boxes say "6 inch" overlaid on a silhouette of a cast iron fry pan on the front, but that appears to be a general size indicator for marketing... not a maximum supported by the burner for safety/reflective heat/etc.

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I own a 533. That'd be about as big as I'd go, but that would be for stability reasons.

3. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I have made bacon on a 502 with a 10 inch fry pan. I don’t have a 533 but I would probably do the same. Yes, I try to be careful and cook on a level surface. Brad

4. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

I can't locate at present, but someone recently posted a picture of a custom made box with a grill on top, for a single burner Coleman to cook with a heavier/larger pan. There was some suggestion it might have been for use on a boat. The old European camping stoves had something like this, and included a heat-reflecting shield to stop the fuel tank overheating. Essentially building the necessary parts to turn your 5 series stove into a sort of solo 4 series.

Or track down one of the older style European-based stoves that are laid out like a 2- or 3- burner Coleman, but only have one burner. There's been a few posted lately.

5. bwb United States

Good to know! I don't intend to use anything particularly big or heavy on the 533 (no cast iron)- probably 8" at max, or wherever feels at the limits of stability. But, wanted to make sure that reflected heat with a normal pot wasn't a major problem when extending off the edge of the burner head by an inch or two on each side.

6. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Sigg Tourist made an adaptor for the 400 I think, and it also fits the 533 … No sure what that means, but it’s an idea on the issue of pot sizes… My 533 is happy with it..

66704CEE-5EE8-4A12-8DFD-0FD9915B29C6.jpeg

7. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

@bwb

I no longer have a 533 but I do have a 508's and 502's. Typically I use 8" frying pans and pots no larger than 6" in diameter. If I want to use bigger pots I'll use a larger stove. I've seen quite a few burnt knobs on Coleman stoves over the years probably from too much flame combined with too big of a pot. I've also seen a few bent pot supports. Definitely qualifies as abuse. The only Coleman reference that I've found was for the 502's cook kit, 6 inches and 2 quarts, and this is for a stove with half the power of your 533.

8. Daryl

Daryl United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Higgis, That 'adaptor' is a windscreen that fits various small stoves that have the X grate. It will limit the pan dia. as you can see in your picture.
    533 has large fount like 502 & 508 but smaller grate. Good thing about the 533 is the X grate is not slippery with cast, SS or carbon pans like the 502. I use cast iron No. 5 & 6 skillets all the time and think they are a perfect match. Your millage may differ, use common sense. The more you use your stove you will know what is safe. These little stove do get almost to hot to handle at times which is normal.
    100_0781.JPG 100_0814.JPG

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  9. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

welcome @bwb,
    re OP "Has anyone seen any guidelines for max pot diameter on Coleman single burners? Specifically, the 533."
    I too will like to see this. I have not, not yet.

re "the current retail boxes say "6 inch" overlaid on a silhouette of a cast iron fry pan on the front,"

Coleman recommending "up to 6 inch diameter" would not surprise me. I suggest larger, more below.

Re 6 inch.: Coleman, "for" the 533 (&400 & 508) burner, offers their windscreen, it is a 6 3/4" diameter. Using Coleman's windscreen limits any pan to 6 1/2" diameter, max.
    Now about "I suggest larger"...
    SIGG offers a windscreen also designed "for" the 533 (&400 & 508) burner, that windscreen is 7 1/2" diameter and limits pan size to 7 1/4" diameter.
    I'm of the opinion use of any pan up to 7 1/4" on 533 size burner/grate (3 1/2" dia.) should never become a problem of "too big" / over heat. Any larger, use with caution.
    -------------------------------

As you consider Brad 10" fry bacon option... maybe, reconsider.
    His was a 502, has a bigger / different grate and much less heat than your 533.
    Brad "...made bacon on a 502 with a 10 inch fry pan." <-- hot pan! but thin bacon.
    If it's a hot 10" pan on a 533 running for extended burn time for thick steaks (or a bunch of burgers, over n over, etc.), overheating would be a concern imo. If it is 8+" aluminum pan full of water/sauce = less concern. See B. below.

re your: on the 533 (no cast iron)-
    A. probably 8" at max, or wherever feels at the limits of stability. But, wanted to make sure that
    B. reflected heat with a normal pot wasn't a major problem
    C. [major problem?] when extending off the edge of the burner head by an inch or two on each side.

A. stability involves more than pan diameter but (vaguely) recalling some experimenting with 502 & 533 grates, my thinking is 8" pan is a tad too big for worry free routine use, use 8" pan with caution. 8" pot.. too big, this just imo.

B. Avoid overheating. A larger steel fry pan is a...

C. 533 grate directly supports only a 3 1/2" diameter. Extending beyond the grate is expected, and extending it 1 - 2" (all-around, double, so extend beyond 3 1/2" grate, to using 5 1/2" - 7 1/2" pan, sounds good :thumbup:

[​IMG]
    source

@Daryl has shared cooking he has done w/various cookware on his Coleman one burners :thumbup:, including above:
    > "Good thing about the 533 is the X grate is not slippery with cast, SS or carbon pans like the 502."
    Slippery 502 grate hmmm. Grates: 533 newer, thin/straight vs 502 older, round (bigger).
    502 grate more slippery makes sense but slipping aside had not come up and the thought hadn't occurred to me. FWIW i gave 502 the advantage, solely for larger grate.
    > "I use cast iron No. 5 & 6 skillets all the time and think they are a perfect match. Your millage may differ,..." My something new learned today. No.s 5 & 6 Wagner pans = 6 3/4" & 7 1/2" :thumbup:.
    Good fit, sounds good.

tag FYI @BradB

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  10. bwb United States

@OMC This is great, thanks!

11. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

You're certainly welcome. It was a good question to present and you came to the right place ( the online resource for classic camp stoves ).

I'll quote Ed comment from same thread I quoted myself above
    Ed speaks of his SIGG set is for a Svea 123.

SIGG as mentioned above, offers windscreen "for" the 400 (533 & 508).
    I add Ed's point, use of wind screen prevents pots/pans from sliding off the grate. and
    When we review The SIGG set for the 400, it provides the windscreen and additional stability of the same stable stackable SIGG Tourist pots & pan/lid (that Ed correctly praises).
    A review of the SIGG set for 400 thread credits Daryl and Haggis again for providing on-topic content, our thanks to them for that.
    bwb I join your thanks to Ed, Brad, Scrambler, and HunterStovie as well, all of the above contributed :thumbup::thumbup:.