1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman Solus 521 ? or 532 silent

Discussion in 'Coleman Solus - all models' started by Rick b, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Rick b

Rick b United States Subscriber

This just arrived, looks like I have a new project. Burner is soaking in carb cleaner, the bung (cork) has been replaced in the NRV (non return valve)it is a bit rusty at the bottom of the pump tube, but it came right out thanks to the valve removal tool from Base Camp. I will probably have more questions as I go along with this one. I think it mught be a 532 silent burner...

1233269104-Coleman_Solus_003_opt.jpg 1233269008-Coleman_Solus_002_opt.jpg 1233269165-Coleman_Solus_004_opt.jpg 1233269226-Coleman_Solus_005_opt.jpg 1233269257-Coleman_Solus_006_opt.jpg 1233269292-Coleman_Solus_007_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Rick b

Added kerophile's great heat proof washers, the legs were made (my first attempt, they are a straight leg, but I think ok) with the data from kaw550red. Thanks gentleman.

1235510720-Solus_1_001_opt.jpg

1235510498-Solus_1_002_opt.jpg

3. Rick b

Well finally after messing around trying to get this Solus to run correctly I finally did. I had replaced the pump cup, the NRV from base camp, and of course heat proof washers from kerophile. For some reason whenever I would pump it up it just wouldnt hold any air or I would have to pump like a madman to get even the smallest of flame. I tore it all down again, cleaned the tank out again, repaced the leather, again, filled it with kero, (I am using the the same tank seal just flipped it over this time to see if that would make a difference), primed, and here are the results. :D (oh and after cleaning it up, I had sprayed clear laquer on it, I didnt like the look so I removed that and will leave it as just plain brass).

Best, Rick

1243449944-Coleman_Solus_001_opt.jpg 1243450000-Coleman_Solus_002_opt.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you

4. mbechtel United States

Beautiful! I hope to run across one of these beautiful beasts one day. Nice job on the restoration! :clap:

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Rick, your classic Coleman is looking good and operating well. I think it will take a bit more pressure and give an even bigger blue flame yet!

Never trust the filler cap washers on stoves you receive. Even when they look good and un-worn they are usually hard and make a poor seal, and I generally replace mine as a matter of routine now.

I currently use some nitrile rubber sheet, 1.5mm thick, which I bought from Ebay and I punch or cut my own washers.

I sometimes oblige friends by cutting washers for them, particulaly when a concentric punch is required...the punch sets are expensive to buy.

For plain filler cap washers, my punch set is too small, so I draw around the cap and cut out the nitrile disc with a pair of scissors.

For NRV pips, I have posted instructions on CCS on how to trepan them from nitrile sheet using a ball-point pen refill and a drill:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/8318

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015