Coleman Stoves 533

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by manfrommanchester, Nov 7, 2019.

1. manfrommanchester

I have one of the above, and after abut 5 or 6 uses the generator clogs up. I have been through about 3 now, and at about £18 a go is getting silly. I use Coleman fuel, and follow all instructions rigidly. I always run the thing for at least 5 mins to (hopefully) clean out any carbon. I have cleaned out the tank, and anything else that may be blocked. The usual is that with a new generator it works well about 4 times, then burns very badly, then when you pump it up and open the valves nothing happens. With the generator removed fuel spurts from the tank as it should.
    I also have a smaller version (a 442 I think. It uses the same generator) Exactly the same thing happens with this.
    I have met people on campsites who are using them, and have asked for their advice. They show me how they light them and use them and it is identical to what I do. They say they even use unleaded petrol on them, and say they have been using the stove for years without any problem. They even say that they frequently run the thing for aminute or 2 just for abrew.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong, and are there any methods to clean out generator tubes.

2. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

@manfrommanchester
    They have a built in cleaning wire. try opening and closing the valve a few times without pressure and then lighting the stove. If you remove the generator tip can you blow air in the reverse direction through the generator. I have never had your exact problem wit any of my Coleman stoves.
    Hope this helps.

Pictures of the poor flame would help

3. manfrommanchester

Thanks. I know the cleaning wire is also regulates the fuel flow. When I take it out it has coke on it. I clean it off and try again. I get a weak and pathetic flame which lasts about 5 mins, then conks out. Re-cleaning the wire makes no difference.
    I have also tried soaking the "de-wired" generator tube in Meths and Citric acid (which is supposed to dissolve away coke). No difference made.
    I understand the generator has a wire "spiral" inside it which apparently directs the fuel flow round it.. ie slower, so that it can be vaporized better. I think it is this which is getting clogged up with coke.
    As I said I thought it was something to do with the way I start it, but I have watched several You-Tube videos, as well as watched people in real life starting them,and I am doing no different. Also as I said, I have had exactly the same problem with a different Coleman Stove I had. ( I bought them together from a car boot sale)
    Can't remember the colour of the weak and pathetic flame I got. But without knowing what I am doing wrong I am not thinking of forking out for a new generator

4. manfrommanchester

Sorry. Forgot. Yes I can blow air through the "de-wired" generator tube.

5. itchy

I doubt you are doing anything wrong in the way you are using it.
    The fact that you get the same symptom with two different stoves is very odd and suggests a fuel issue, but you say you are using Coleman fuel. UK folks here usually use a cheaper alternative (panel wipe or some brand of clean 4-cycle petrol from the garden store).

One way to somewhat clean the generator is to, on an emply stove, heat the generator with a blow torch (blow lamp?) while forcing just air through it. I've done this with the generator rotated away from the burner. It should smoke and then clear up. Be careful heating it, it probably can be damaged.

6. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

I don't believe the wire regulates the fuel flow. It is there to clean the tip, and it doesn't sound to me like it is doing it. Should stick through jet. Is cleaning wire intact?? Hooked up properly?

It is normal for the tip to plug a bit in use, that is why they have a build in tip cleaner.

7. manfrommanchester

Sorry. Thought the wire was for fuel regulation. ( that,s what I was once told). But... when I take the generator apart the tip is always blocked. Always clean it, but it makes no difference. As I said, the stove then gives a weak flame which dies after a few minutes. Then nothing. Is blocked again.

8. Colin Geer

Colin Geer Subscriber

This is weird - I've had a few 533s and they never did this, not even when I used to use them with regular unleaded Petrol (gasoline)- not something I do any more.

Just to check, what exact type of fuel are you using, is it brand new or has it maybe been sitting around for a while and are there any other signs that might be helpful?

9. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

On Coleman lanterns, the cleaning wire has commonly been used to "fine tune" regulate the fuel flow. I'm not sure if it was designed to do this, but I've seen many lanterns (one of which I own) that need a little "wire" to pop into a nice clean burn. Perhaps the orifice has been enlarged. In any case, I've never had to do this with a stove.

....Arch

10. Aleks-S

If generator is not the issue, and no pressure leaks (NRV, airlock etc.),
    so the fuel orifice of the F/A-tube may clogged, probably? Or F/A-tube joint to control unit leaks air.
    Thus, the stove work in preheating mode constantly, losing pressure. And when initial portion of fuel exhausted, it blows air instead of fuel into generator.
    Just thoughts...

11. Colin Geer

Colin Geer Subscriber

I had a blocked Enders that worked for a short while if it had been left but when you tried to use it it would fade quickly. I reasoned in the end that when you left it, enough fuel leaked through the blockage which accounted for the short initial burn but for long term use, there wasn't enough getting through to sustain the flame.

12. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

"Then nothing. Is blocked again"
    again, the tip cleaner should clean out the blockage! Something is wrong with the tip cleaner. And since this has happened with several generators something is not moving the tip cleaner as it should.

13. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

One clue might be car boot sale. I would be cleaning the tank and dismantalling / cleaning the entire fuel systems. Chances are those generators are salvageable but who knows just like who knows what fuel they have tried to run on in the past

14. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Two stoves, known for reliability the world over, having the same issue, points to fuel problems to me.

Are all these failures using the same tin of fuel? I've had kerosene go "off" before. Looked fine, clogged generators, carboned up wickie wicks to the point of no longer burning in short order. I finally discovered that it smelled terribly of vinegar and there was a slight bit of what looked like liquid sediment in the bottom of the jug. The sediment turned out to be hard. It wouldn't surprise me if Coleman fuel can go off in a simlar fashion.

I would definitely try a different fuel source.

15. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Maybe, but it would surprise me if Coleman would deteriorate like that. So many examples of ancient found Coleman fuel burning pure and clear.

But perhaps adulterated somehow...

16. Marc

Marc Subscriber

@Ed Winskill Yessir, would be the first I've heard of such an issue, provided it was Coleman fuel in the can.

I do have a can of Coleman fuel, which judging from the condition of the cap on the fuel side, clearly has some moisture somewhere in the can. Smells of stale gasoline as well. I've been running it in one lantern which I have spare generators for, but so far even that's burned perfectly. Doesn't even smell bad while running.

I think Geeves is onto something with the car boot sale and previous fuels that may have been used.