Coleman Suitcase Windscreen Retainers

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by toonsgt, Aug 30, 2011.

1. toonsgt

This is one of those "I feel like a dumbass for asking" type questions, but here goes. After 30 some years of using Coleman suitcase stoves, I don't understand how the swiggly wire windscreen retainers are suppose to work. I have used clothes pins on them since I can remember but without something on there, they don't stay put with any breeze at all. Am I missing something here?

I know the wedge shaped wire ones work very well as do the hinged flat stock ones with the detent but the single wire ones have had me baffled forever.

Mike

2. nzmike

I know exactly what you mean! There might be a trick to them, if so, I don't know it, I just wrote them off as the sort of not very good idea that surfaces on stuff from time to time. :mrgreen:

3. toonsgt

I'm considering modding my users so these actually work. I can't count the hours I've thought about this while cooking, wondering what I'm missing. They are otherwise such well designed units.

Mike

4. Brerarnold

Clothespins!

:doh:

Now why didn't I think of that?

5. Texas

I think the "single" ones are supposed to be sort of a force fit, either bent up or down a bit. If that makes sense, give it a try and see if it works.
    Best,
    Bob

6. toonsgt

Necessity being the mother of invention......
    A bit of high tech wire coat hanger and a pair of diagonal cutting needle nose pliers and:

1314763135-1.JPG 1314763145-2.JPG 1314763154-3.JPG 1314763164-4.JPG 1314763175-5.JPG

Tada! They work really well. LOL At least I won't lose sleep over it now... Hook the short bend under the windscreen, go over the on-stove retainer and cross the long end under the opposite side.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015