Coleman Xpert and sectioned Powermax cartridge

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by presscall, Sep 3, 2011.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I've a half-dozen of the Powermax butane/propane cartridges left for this stove and with no prospect of getting more I thought it a good time to feature the stove in the Stove Ref Gallery and take a look inside a newly-empty cartridge too.

Re-charging a cartridge with butane only and boring out the jet with a micro-drill to compensate for the lower pressure fuel is a future modification in prospect, since I'd be reluctant to set the stove aside for no further use. Or I might go down the route of an adaptor to take regular lindal-valved cartridges

1315065759-1.JPG

The stove componenents laid bare

1315065769-2.JPG

Jet and pre-heater loop to enable the stove to take the fuel from the canister in liquid form ...

1315065778-3.JPG

... from the cartridge laid on its side and with a weighted fuel pick-up tube to dunk the inlet under the liquefied gas

1315065846-9.JPG

1315065857-10.JPG

With a high percentage of propane (60/40 percent butane/propane mixture) in the liquefied gas supply it burns hot and with undiminished performance right down to sub-zero temperatures.

My examples of the fuel carts (sourced in the United Kingdom) come with a paper sleeve on them which moderates the claim originally printed on the cartridge ("high performance fuel") to merely "performance fuel". It also carries more information, in several languages

1315065806-6.JPG
    1315065817-7.JPG

1315065830-8.JPG

The unique fitting on the stove/cartridge, most like a Campingaz CV series (but not compatible), offers a speedy click-fit-click to disconnect facility, but with the cartridges now discontinued it's gone the way of 8-track audio tapes and VHS video

1315065787-4.JPG

1315065796-5.JPG

Very satisfying performance

1315065953-15.JPG

1315065968-16.JPG

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. presscall

More flame shots.

Simmer's well and at full blast and having pot rests perfect for taking a wok it's got great potential for a stir-fry Good wok burner stoves - a stir-fry's good for conserving the dwindling resource of that Powermax fuel too

1315085650-16a.JPG 1315085662-17.JPG 1315085675-18.JPG 1315085685-19.JPG 1315085696-20.JPG

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  3. Sparky

So how many incarnations of the canned gas cartrige have we seen go extinct? Seems like every stove manufacturer decided to make a stove that used only their particular version of canned gas and when none of them could get enough market share, they all stopped making them. Maybe another good argument for liquid fuel stoves.

4. hikin_jim

Hi, John,

Another fascinating post (as always), and a very nice dissection of the canister.

I happen to be a big fan of the Coleman Powermax "X" stoves (the Xtreme, the Xpert, and the Xpedition). I like them because they're a) good stoves in general, b) don't have a heavy steel canister, c) are very stable, d) can use a full windscreen, and e) can operate in very cold weather, down to at least 0F/-18C. The proprietary canister, despite being a better design than the standard threaded canister, is a sore spot of course. This time last year, there were four stores in my area carrying the canisters. Now, there are none.

I don't know for sure if Coleman has discontinued the canisters or not. I've emailed Coleman, but I haven't received any reply.

Interestingly, the canisters in the UK appear to be a slightly different mix than here in the US. The Coleman MSDS here lists the mix as 35% propane and 65% butane, but the canisters in the UK say that they contain a 40/60 mix.

I think these canisters would work well in refueling. This "P Type" refiller is made in Japan and has shown up once in a while on eBay. This "P Type" is for butane only, but could be used for any weather over about 40F/5C which would allow one to save Powermax canisters with the orginal blend for cold weather. One could with relative ease rig up a way to refill with propane also, but I personally am a bit afraid of refilling with propane. Butane has a low vapor pressure and is relatively safe to work with. Those cheap little disposable plastic lighters have butane in them. Propane on the other hand has a very high vapor pressure. Making a mistake with propane could be very very bad. :shock:

HJ

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  5. itchy

That fuel cartridge was a good idea and I know there were many fans of those stove (1 and 2 burners), too bad they are not made any more.

I remember several years ago walking in to wally world and seeing a display case of power max cartridges on sale -- it did not dawn on me at the time that they were getting rid of them for good.

6. presscall

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Rosethe United States

I have 5 of these canisters, unused. Does any one have any interest in them. They are from c.2003