Comet Triangle No. 5

Discussion in 'Hugo Möller & Co' started by optipri, Nov 22, 2018.

1. optipri

optipri Subscriber

Finally I have find a Comet 5 for my collection. It is very similar to this one but has a grate and heat deflector. Missing on the other one or other versions?
    The nice thing with these old items are that most all parts are stamped with the name or number.
    My stove is in good condition but has been affected by som kind of chemicals and shows spots of burns in the metal.
    An interesting thing is that one of the fittings in the tank seems to have some kind of over pressure release function. It is shown on Iani's stove but on mine the spring and sealing is missing. Looks like an ordinary pump nrv so would probably easy to add.

Bo

DSC02823.JPG

DSC02824.JPG DSC02825.JPG DSC02826.JPG DSC02809.JPG DSC02810.JPG DSC02811.JPG DSC02812.JPG DSC02813.JPG DSC02814.JPG DSC02815.JPG DSC02816.JPG DSC02817.JPG

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

3. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Now that is the find of the century! I'll be dreaming about this one tonight I'm sure.

Ben

4. shueilung.2008

shueilung.2008 Subscriber

@optipri

Great find Bo!

I'm puzzled with these threaded mounts in the tank.

[​IMG]

Congratulations!

Enrique

5. OptimusPrime Canada

I remember the first time I saw one of these in the gallery thinking to myself how much I would love to see one in the flesh...let alone have one in my collection...Congrats!!!

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @optipri What a wonderful stove!

I am intrigued with the additonal threaded mounting holes.
    Perhaps this is to allow a choice of left or right-hand drive?

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

7. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Congratulations Bo. One superb Comet No.5, true museum quality and without doubt now the ultimate reference example:thumbup: I wonder how many, if any, more examples of that trivet still survive? The one here could be unique.

@shueilung.2008 @kerophile - the 2 threaded fittings on the back face of the tank are for the machine screws that hold it to the front panel of the combined windshield and base frame triangle. There are only the 2 and it can only be assembled one way (c/f photos in this thread too).
    It is also worth pointing out that the 2 little 'feet' on the tank base make the No.5 much more stable in use than the smaller No.6 which has only 1 tiny centrally placed tank bottom foot.

Ian:thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  8. kerophile

Hi Ian, @igh371 , now I can see, the photo of the tank which shows the threaded holes was taken with the tank separated from the support structure and we are looking at the “back” face of the tank.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

9. optipri

optipri Subscriber

Thank you all for the positive reactions. This is a really nice stove and I am specially founf of the cast iron grate. It is a masterpiece itself, just like on many other old stoves.
    What I still is confused about is the right nut in the tank. The left one is a blind nut, just used for fixing the side panel. But the right one has a connection to the tank and the mid part, see image below from Ianis stove, is some kind of valve.
    But it has two functions, it also has a thread inside to fix the right side of the panel. On the stove I have the screw was broken so I had to drill it out and replace it. Question is if there should be a passage through it to let overpressure go this way? Or what is the function for it?

Bo

[​IMG]

10. optipri

optipri Subscriber

Now I have find the clue, and of course here at CCS. Watch this post by Ross.
    This is actually the NRV but just located in a very odd way. Must be a hollow wire from the pump tube to the valve.
    Really smart design.

Bo

11. kerophile

12. shueilung.2008

shueilung.2008 Subscriber

@optipri @kerophile @igh371

My question was directed to the difference in heigth of the two (as I thought they were), attachement nuts soldered to the fount.

Now I see why that difference:

Great post on a beautifull designed stove, and very enlightrning! Never saw one of these.

Always learning:

Enrique