Companion 5 spare kit

Discussion in 'Companion' started by Ray123, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

I don't know if this kit was originally included with the Companion 5 stove purchase or was sold separately but I did get it with my Companion 5.

100_1213.JPG

100_1214.JPG

Box is 116mm by 60mm and 27mm deep.

100_1216.JPG

100_1215.JPG

100_1217.JPG

My set is missing the pump piston and 2 out of the 4 prickers but the useful items shown are nice to have. The silent burner jet wrench has come in handy for other fettling jobs. The burner washer appears to be lead. The steel outer burner cap has either taken on a golden patina or was treated with an anti-rust coating.

Ray

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Ray123

First. That is a great piece of Australian history and should be returned to Australia forthwith! ;)

Second. Given the inscription “Under authority from Messrs A/B Max Sievert, Sweden” I suspect this is fairly early in the Companion production run. Is there anything on the box or printing to date it? Will you post the stove inscriptions?

Third. Unused Companion outer caps often have that brassy sheen. Later in production they made them with a “special metal”.

@abbahco1 might have something to say about this.

That’s a great find.

Tony

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Perhaps the stove makers were giving their steel outer caps a “flash” of brass electroplate to provide protection against corrosion, and improved appearance.

Look at this Base Camp listing:

2183 Outer cap, Optimus brassed steel £ 8.35

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

@Tony Press
    I'd be willing to return this to Australia if and only if the Queen of Australia personally comes to my house and asks me nicely.

There was nothing else printed on the box to date it and I don't have any other paperwork.

I'll do another gallery post with stove pictures but the stove doesn't have much in the way of inscriptions. Companion Stove is stamped on the tank with a Svea emblem. Nothing at all on the bottom of the tank or burner. The air screw says Companion on one side and Svea on the other. The tab on the fill cap says Companion on one side and is blank on the other. Pump cap is blank. The pan ring is stamped Companion in one place only with Brand stamped directly 180 degrees opposite.

@kerophile
    Could be possible George. Would the electroplate burn off with use? The unused spare has a brass look but the cap in use is very much steel looking.

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Ray123 It surely would burn off in use but the electroplate would prevent rust formation and keep it shiny when the outer cap was in transit to the sales point and on display/in storage.
    Once the stove was bought and in service it was the buyer’s responsibility, so loss of the brass plating would not concern the manufacturer/retailer.
    Such is business,
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Ray123

Even though it’s a noble cause, being a republican, I have no intention of asking the Queen of England to intercede on my behalf.

The information (stampings) on the stove indicate earlier rather than late production.

Cheers

Tony

7. Austin Roper

Austin Roper Australia Subscriber

Hi there, curious that this came up. I also have a spares kit with my companion stove. The one that my father had. Not sure if it came with the stove or not but appears to have possibly had a price of nine shillings.
    The outer burner top, the brass coloured one is now installed on my Optimus 155. It has been used a few times but still retains its gold colour.
    A couple of other bits in the kit seem to have been used in the past.

20200617_122912.jpg 20200617_122923.jpg 20200617_122932.jpg 20200617_123213.jpg

Cheers
    Austin