Companion roarer

Discussion in 'Companion' started by Robert Bruce, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce SotM Winner Subscriber

This came in the mail, a minimum bid on eBay, very rusted, dent in tank, missing flame spreader, pump all rusted. Oh well some straightening, burner clogged, jet blocked. I then raided my spare parts department and found a spare pump, jet and flame spreader. Did the usual and cleaned out the badly gunked tank, cleaned the carbon from the burner, did some straightening of the rusted frame which I coated with fish oil, them after all was clean assembled it, with new washers and new parts in the NRV. It was time to see if it leaked, hot water test and OK. Time to give it a fire up, usual yellow flame went to normal blue very quickly. Later I may de-dent the tank but the frame is very rusty, this seems to be a good user, will see.

Cheers
    Rob

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Robert Bruce

This type of Companion/SVEA
    stove setup is excellent for cooking "in the field".

Lots of fuel, a sturdy pot rest that can take a large pot, easy to throw into a cardboard box in the back of the truck...

Is that an original drip-tray? If so, they are hard to come by.

Cheers

Tony

3. Robert Bruce

Tony, the drip tray is one I made out of copper, just left it as it was so as to get the patner. The only thing I don't know is the burner original it's an Optmus one.
    It's rough but works well, it will be a user and as you say chuck into a box and cart it camping. I have a mess tent set up semi perminant at our camping spot, and a swag. Visiting at least once a week, great fly fishing and a very secluded spot so security is good. So the stove will be there.

Cheers
    Rob

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

As shelf queen it is not, but congratulations on resurrecting it back to a serviceable unit with a good healthy flame. For what you are planning it should be perfect provided there is enough metal left to support the pan :-k [-( :lol:

Martin

6. Robert Bruce

Martin, the pan supports are OK, just the front is badly rusted. It has plenty of strength left. May be in the future a full sestoration but as a user it's good. It would be a major job to remake the frame and I am not sure it would be worth it. The tank also could be de dented but that would be easy, just swet off the ends . Everything came off with ease even the NRV.

Cheers
    Rob

7. Graham P

I have the R/H tank version with silent burner no name on burner but Companion on spirit bowl.
    G P

8. Robert Bruce

Graham, this has nothing on the sprit cup but has Optmus on the burner. Suppose they used what they had or can get. Yes there are holes to join them together with bolts.

Cheers
    Rob

9. Graham P

10. Robert Bruce

Graham,
    I am going to leave it the way it is for now, it's the burner it came with and I am happy it's a roarer as I like the sound. Although silent seem to give a more even heat they seem to be problematic, that said no mater what I do I can't get under burn which I must be doing something right or just luck.

Cheers
    Rob