Companion Runaway propane stove

Discussion in 'Companion' started by presscall, Mar 23, 2014.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Well, it's a collapsible stove for sure, but not remotely following the classic 3-leg Primus 210 configuration and although the colour scheme's a rather brazen yellow/green, the actual brassware in it is minimal

1395605403-IMGP8305.JPG

Too heavy and bulky to 'runaway' with - more for car camping

1395605472-IMGP8306.JPG

This tells you to shut/open it at one end of the windshield box/frame ...

1395605544-IMGP8307.JPG

... and it soon packs down to this

1395605558-IMGP8301.JPG

The fuel control valve, fuel line and burner easily unclip for stowage

1395605573-IMGP8302.JPG

Dismantling the assembly ...

1395605590-IMGP8309.JPG

Burner's made in Australia

1395605618-IMGP8312.JPG

Valve's a Sievert, embossed 'Sweden' on the other side

1395605628-IMGP8318.JPG

A 0.32mm jet at the control valve end of the fuel line effectively regulates/throttles the high-pressure gas feed down to something usable at the burner

1395605645-IMGP8313.JPG

1395605656-IMGP8314.JPG

Left-hand threaded connector at the control valve end of the fuel line, but a right-hand threaded component to connect up to the burner

1395605677-IMGP8315.JPG

I'd a modification to make, the original circlip was too sloppy a fit and the burner tilted in the frame in use, so I replaced it with a meatier E-clip

1395605690-IMGP8316.JPG

A very fine jet aperture and there's a fine gauze flame-trap cup in the burner riser below the jet

1395605705-IMGP8317.JPG

That's a six-pint kettle set to boil, so a stove for hearty breakfasts and brews for the masses - as far as a mere single burner will allow of course

1395605722-IMGP8308.JPG

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

and i thought i had seen it all---
    any problem with the gas valve so far away from the burner,adjustments,lighting and such?

3. Cavry

Cavry Subscriber

I could appreciate the "stand up to cook" ability....but all of that case for a single burner?

4. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

First one Ive seen outside NZ
    I have one here that used to belong to my parents. Its pale blue though.It should have a bbq plate that also attaches to the top to cook your sausages.
    Originally it used tiny 1.5kg propane bottles that clipped into the stand with the control directly under the burner rather than a hose.
    It does rely on the oring to seal to the bottle. My father had an incident with the one I have here. It caught fire around the bottle. As it was high fire season in the area (Central Otago in summer) he grabbed the bottle and burner out of the bbq and threw it in the Clutha river. Problem was the flame stayed on top of the water as the bottle and burner drifted under some overhanging trees. Not sure how they got out of that one even though I was there as a 12ish year old

5. kerry460

kerry460 Australia R.I.P.

G,,day mate. so that is how you became an arso oops typo, pryoma oops done it again. stove collector, got it right eventually. haha
    cheers
    Kerry
    :lol:

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Got to admit it - I've not seen one like this.
    Fascinating, garish and quirky - another nice score, John. :D

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Firstly, Dave's enquiry about the burner characteristics.

There's an obvious time-lag of three or four seconds before the tubing fills up with gas and the burner ignites properly. Before that, substantial column of air in the tube, with a bit of gas mixing with it is fed to the burner and the (very) weak mixture won't ignite, or more accurately, lights in patches around the burner circumference until the mixture reaches full strength.

Then on, the burner's fully controllable down to simmer and as with the ignition phase, there's some few seconds' inertia for the flame to die down when the control valve's been shut.

That's a great tale, Geeves, about your example having been slung into the river. Interesting what you say about the small propane bottles.

Another one I'll be bringing to Newark, Trevor. Something to act as a work/drinks bench (with added top) in camp when not in use as a stove.

Cavry said,

You're right of course and it would have surely made sense to have incorporated another burner, but even then, this is a comparative lightweight and is comparable in size (folded) with the British Army single-burner stoves 2, 2(Modified), 12 - also a lot of stove for just the one burner.

John

8. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

G,,day mate. so that is how you became an arso oops typo, pryoma oops done it again. stove collector, got it right eventually. haha
    cheers

Im guessing thats for me No I started collecting a long time after that Greetings over in the West Island

9. kerry460

kerry460 Australia R.I.P.

G,,day geeves. yes mate, I was just trying to have a laugh. I could just about visualise it happening.
    I thought it might have been the start of the interest as well.
    cheers
    kerry