Companion Stove refurb

Discussion in 'Companion' started by Icky, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Icky

Thanks for the tip Tony.

Attached are few photos of my rediscovered Companion Stove, in its less than complete condition.
    Not sure whether the 2 missing legs were deliberately removed at some point, or just became detached.
    If anyone can suggest how I find some replacements, I would be grateful.

I also need to find an outer silent burner cap.

Am I correct in describing this as a No. 5 Silent Burner? Any guess as to age?

The word Companion appears on the underside of the spirit cup, and (as shown in the photos) the words Companion and Stove appear on the tank top, along with the logo.

Thanks, Ian.

20210709_094845_resized.jpg 20210709_092908_resized.jpg 20210709_092838_resized.jpg 20210709_092758_resized.jpg 20210709_092826_resized.jpg 20210709_103851_resized.jpg 20210709_092620_resized.jpg

2. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Hi Ian: Companion stoves are basically Aussie-made Svea replicas. Unlike Svea models, the Companion tanks were not stamped as either no. 1 or roarer patterns (very practical of the Aussies). Quite often local dealers would substitute roarer or silent burners, depending on customer preference, so the tank was left generic. I think Tony has mentioned that he has some spares (probably including legs). Companion kero stoves were made from WW II through the 1960s. Here somewhere you'll find a Companion leaflet that explains that the war isolated Sweden from British ports, hence the licensing to Australian makers. They were (very well) made in Melbourne; eventually all of the parts, including burners. If you look at the top of the remaining leg you'll get a slightly more accurate impression of date: in general, the later the stove, the more sharply angled the top of the leg profile. It would be good to let Tony see the top portion of the remaining leg on your stove so he can find a match (or, two matches). You should also measure the exact vertical dimension of the legs, as there was a bit of height discrepancy between different Companions of the same model.

Tony also knows the practicalities about soldering new legs on professionally, made easier on your stove due to the Svea/companion practice of indenting a channel into the tank to accept the leg (making a stronger, neater joint). The original Companion outer caps were completely without markings, with four rows of holes spaced quite close together (different from the Primus/Radius burner caps of the same period, though all of these will work). Hope this is useful to you, Peter (ex-pat Aussie).

3. Icky

Thanks so much Peter.
    I have attached photos of the remaining leg, which appears to have a vertical height of 219 mm.
    I'll make contact with Tony, and hopefully be able to take him up on his generous offered to assist.
    regards,
    Ian.

Attached Files:

4. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Ian: I'd say late 1940s - 1950s for this one. They are excellent and very well made stoves. I wonder why it is missing two legs? Otherwise, it seems only lightly used.

P

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    As it turns out, I seem to have a fair few spare Companion legs running around the shed. I have two sets of three, and a few other pairs and singles.

7626426B-9D26-4674-8973-2CE71E399844.jpeg

From left to right: two of at about 215mm; three of, at above 219mm, and three of at about 215mm.
    50CE8520-A93E-4C3B-9CD6-49C67B3BD5C9.jpeg

Cheers

Tony

@Icky

6. Icky

Thanks Peter.
    Yes it looks to have been little used.
    Which made me think it possible that someone had deliberately removed two of the legs.
    To accidentally lose one leg is unfortunate, to accidentally lose 2 seems ... less likely.

If the vintage is 1940s/50s, then it might have been my father's father or uncle who was the original owner. They had a holiday shack up on the NSW Central Coast which in the early days was not connected to the power grid.

I also have a well-used Tilley X246 Storm Lantern from that location, which still works well. From my recollections as a boy in the 1960s, it was the prawning lantern.

7. Icky

Excellent, thank you Tony.
    If you don't mind I'll have the 3 @ 219 mm.
    Have sent you details separately.

I have attached photos of the Optimus Outer Burner Cap, which is in very good if not unused condition.
    Ian.

20210711_144346_resized.jpg 20210711_144356_resized.jpg

8. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

9. Icky

Many thanks Kerophile.

Some learning to be done, whilst I have to stay at home during our current COVID lockdown, before I take on the task.
    Can't travel to the hardware store to buy the soldering supplies, anyway.
    Ian.