Companion stove retrieved from the bottom of a well

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Brass monkey, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Brass monkey

Brass monkey Subscriber

I was given this stove by a friend. It came from an old meat works that is being demolished, the old caretaker is removing anything of value first. He said that this stove was found at the bottom of a well, he saw no value in it so gave it to my friend who knew I would be interested in it.

When he told me about it I expected much worse, but overall it's not in bad shape and has an amazing patina like I've never seen on a stove before. I don't think it was submerged but probably in a very humid environment, there was still some kerosene residue in the tank.

I may get it going but surely wont be polishing it.
    IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0080.JPG IMG_0075.JPG

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Patina looks to be largely copper sulphate, the sort of colour you get on weathered copper cladding on buildings. in the days when British cities were heated with coal they could rely on the sulphur dioxide in the smoke to do the patination, but nowadays they treat the copper with acid to get the desired colour.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Brass monkey

Where in the world was this Australian-made stove found?

Tony

4. kerophile

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @kerophile

It’s just showing it’s heritage, George...

Companion:
    8A5C6B0E-3690-47D0-9790-AD00ED763C8C.jpeg

Cheers

Tony

6. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Brass monkey

Nice find and the colour looks great :thumbup:. Are you going down the well to get the missing inner and outer caps? :doh:
    Does the bleed screw have SVEA on the other flat?

I'm pretty sure under the patina the font is marked with the SVEA shield so it is one of the earlier COMPANION SVEA's.

[​IMG]
    @kerophile @Tony Press

7. kerophile

Screwing up my eyes and looking really hard, I reckon that I too can see SVEA on the crest of the tank.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

8. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Green stoves are cool.

9. Duck

I wonder how long it was down there?

10. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Well they harp on about "Green Energy", now you have a stove to provide it! :lol:

Alec.

11. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Brass monkey ,

EXCELLENT score!! That stove most certainly has some tales to tell, and oh, if ONLY it could share them with us!! I've heard of stoves having been found in some strange places, but I think your "new" Companion/SVEA takes the cake on that score!!!! For inner and outer caps, which I'm sure you know, you can use either SVEA, Optimus, or Primus, and all should work well on your stove. Here's a Companion/SVEA that I got from @HandiAlbert, many, many years ago, in a big trade we did. On that stove, Albert affixed a Primus outer cap, and I've never looked to see what's under it, but left it wire-on, just as Albert had sent it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

You can see the Primus cap that Albert used, and you can also see that my trivet, though original, may well have been down in that well, with YOUR stove!! YIKES!! Great stoves, those Companion/SVEA, and hearty congratulations on your getting a VERY special one, with an unbeatable story to tell!!!

The Story: (From Doc, who heard it from a Bloke he knew Down Under!)

Your stove once belonged to a Gent who worked in that place, originally. He used that beloved stove every single day, for brewing up his cuppa, or making warm soup, or stews for lunch, or dinner. No one else in that plant had such a stove, and eventually, they all got tired of the stove owner's endless prattling along about "the blue flame", and what a wonderful stove it was!! So, the lot of them had some pints, got up their courage, and tossed the poor stove owner, AND is CompanionSVEA down the well!! Happy to be rid of the Blighter, they went back to their business. Little did they know that the stove lasted for 4-5 more days, and that the poor unfortunate used it to cook up frogs, some birds, and anything else that ventured down the well!! He had plenty of water, and things worked out well, UNTIL his beloved stove finally ran out of fuel, and went out!! Poor Bastige didn't last another night, and died of grief, down in the well, holding his beloved CompanionSVEA tightly against his chest. He eventually rotted away, and decomposed, but his stove lived ON, waiting patiently to be found, and saved, which, as you know, it WAS!! Now, you have inherited that great stove, and I know it will be grateful and happy for you to "doctor it back to life, and full health" again!!!!

Yeah..... that's the way I heard it, and I'll stand by it!! Meanwhile, back to reality, Great stove, BM, and thanks for sharing it here! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who will leave you in peace, so you can enjoy your new treasure!)

12. Brass monkey

Brass monkey Subscriber

Thanks for the comments guys.

The stove was found in New Zaeland so not too far from its place of origin. As to how long it was down the well could be anyones guess - years at least if not decades.

It has SVEA on the other side of the pressure release screw and also a SVEA logo on the tank, though positioned differently from the other ones shown.

I have another companion stove with all the original bits including a brass outer cap stamped with 'companion', though this new one will have to make do with a primus replacement for now.

Great story Doc and very likely close to the truth, I'm just glad that I didn't have to pry the stove from his boney grasp.

13. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Great find! Looking forward to flame shots.