Companion Stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Paul Aslanides, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Paul Aslanides Australia

These Companion stoves are quite common here, often listed for sale as 'Primus', now a general term. Hopefully, this will be the last one I ever purchase. The first pic is as received - it ran o.k. but the fount/tank was so hot all over I could barely touch it. Funny thing, after shut down I could hear a faint ping ...... ping....ping. The pressure was relieved, but there must have been residual pressure from the heat perhaps, forcing the fuel back from or to the pick-up tube. I had failed to rinse the tank, just added some kero, borrowed a pump from another stove and fired it up. I drained the tank, before a stripdown, and lo, yellow, smelly fluid - a mixture of 'lamp oil' and my kero. Well, that done it. I gave the burner the heat and quench treatment, but very little soot/carbon came out. Cleaned the jet carefully. Fished out the old filter mesh, cut and fitted a new one.
    Reassembled, the pump gave strong resistance, finally giving way, and pressured the tank as normal. After the pre-heat, when it fired up on kero, the burner cap, which does need replacing, immediately went red hot all over. Shut down straightaway. Excess fuel in tank ? Excess fuel through the jet ? I'd like to take a hacksaw to this tank, just to see whats inside. It's headed for the scrap bin.
    From now on I reckon I'll stick to the Roarer, the Cylinder, the 500 and the 533 stoves. And of course the simple, reliable Trangia. Enough is enough.
    The first pic is during normal running. I didn't get a pic of the stove when it went red hot all over the burner cap as I was so alarmed I had to shut it down fast.
    The worst part is wondering what I've done wrong, what should have been done to ensure a new life to the old stove ?

Attached Files:

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Paul Aslanides

You’ve got a good stove there! I like those Companion stove copies of the Svea series.

The red outer flame ring (if it’s accompanied by a touring sound rather than a hiss) will be caused by underburn (the flame burning inside the outer cap).

Underburn is usually caused by the inner and outer caps not sitting evenly on the burner, or the outer cap being rough inside with flaking rust. Sometimes it’s caused by the jet shooting at a sharp angle, or the jet being loose a bit.

You should be able to sort this one out.

Cheers

Tony

3. Geoff Chirnside

Geoff Chirnside Subscriber

I have a Companion with silent burner that I have had for many years.
    It is a well built stove and performs faultlessly.

Do not cut yours up, maybe put it aside until you can do a complete strip, clean and rebuild.

4. goldwinger11

goldwinger11 United States Subscriber

Underburn can also be caused by a lean mixture. Check the jet with a pricker after preheating. Also light the burner from the top. I have a Meva that does the same thing occasionally.

5. Paul Aslanides Australia

Thank you, gentlemen.
    Both the inner and outer burner caps are clean and sitting o.k.
    I've tried a better outer cap, and whilst pre-heating with the air release open, it flared up with raw kero shooting through the jet.
    So there is clearly a partial blockage down in the tank somewhere.
    Or kero sitting in the riser tube after shutdown, which shoots out at the slightest increase in temperature of the riser tube and burner. ( Kero sitting here can be seen when the burner is taken off. The kero should be falling back into the tank, with the air bleed open ).

It did eventually settle down, however, and ran o.k.
    Switched back to the old burner cap, and ran o.k.
    With either cap, it can be difficult to start. At least the tank is not so hot now, just the top. I do have a spare Roarer burner, so I might try that,
    but I'm pretty sure there's an internal problem. With the burner assy. off, and the filter screen out, can't see anything in the tank, and a piece of wire or thin screwdriver blade goes straight to the bottom of the tank, i.e. I can't detect a narrow riser tube, as on some lanterns.
    So yes, I'll persevere with this one, thanks. And yes, the jet may have had a partial blockage, causing the kero to shoot out at an angle. I do use the pricker frequently. Now I do appreciate the Coleman 500 stove which has a pricker wire controlled by the hand wheel, but is a more complex unit. The simplicity of some of these three-legged stoves makes it more frustrating when they don't run properly.

And thanks Tony for the inspiration - I've managed to cut one mesh filter and with a small socket, plenty of oil, pressed it into a tube, forming a cup, as in a male and female form tool. Works a treat, just limited by the range of my stock of hollow punches. Now to find some suitable mesh material.

Cheers. Paul.