1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Companion

Discussion in 'Companion' started by AuntyJack, Oct 10, 2010.

1. AuntyJack

The latest project, a Companion roarer stove(and don't they live up to their name).
    Work done, one leg re-soldered (3 attempts to get it right), all seals replaced and a wash and clean (amazing what is under the crud).
    Fuel tank, spirit cup and pot ring all marked 'Companion' and burner marked 'SVEA', which I understand is usual.
    The last photo is of course the obligatory kettle boil.
    No dates or other marks on the stove to indicate date of manufacture.
    Does anybody have information on when and where in Australia these stoves were made?

1286686815-Companion.jpg 1286686829-Companion-1.JPG 1286686843-Companion-2.JPG 1286686864-Companion-3.JPG 1286686886-Companion-4.JPG 1286686915-Companion-5.JPG 1286686938-Companion-6.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. threedots New Zealand

:thumbup: Lovely stove.
    How well does the thermette heat up with the stove as the heat source, compared to using a kettle?
    I've been thinking about getting a thermette for a similar use. Cheers

3. The Bird

The Bird New Zealand Subscriber

I tried using a Thermette, and found that I needed to constrict the flow of heat. I used a jam jar lid to cover the top of the chimney, and punched three 6mm holes in it. This keeps the heat from flying straight out the top, whilst allowing enough to best utilise what is held. In the end, a good roarer will heat a 3L Whistler in about as much time, and is easier to pack. The Thermette needs direct contact with the flames in order to make the most of the heat transfer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mike.

4. threedots New Zealand

Thanks for that Mike. I guess I won't be using a Thermette then.
    I've seen a few of those Companions stoves up for sale and contemplated buying one or two as the SVEA burners that are fitted are really good performers. Cheers, John

5. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

:-k You said it is normal for these stoves to have a SVEA burner? And the legs are very much like the SVEA legs as well (large(r) feet on them) and also some details to the form of the fount...And ofcourse we do know the "Trois Etoilles" brand, sold in Belgium & France was made by SVEA... Maybe these are also made in Sweden???

Regards,

Wim

6. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Wellwell, what do you know...Just had a look through the Stove Reference Library, first section, second page. There you'll find all you need to know about Companion stoves! This site is truly wonderfull!!! :D/ :clap: ;)

Regards,

Wim

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

That's this then ...

Companion potted history

... in which the author, Dr Watchom, said,

"I would also add that the Companion stoves were perhaps the best made of any, including the Swedish products, and it's rare that you will find a Companion stove with re-soldered joints or legs"

But,

That must make it a rare stove then ... or, pride goeth before a fall when a leg drops off.

Seriously, it looks like it's a good solid stove with much of the distinctive Svea detailing (except for the ornate engraving Svea indulged in).

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

Even suprises me how much info we have here. That has been on the site for many a year - Dr Watchorn was a regular visior & an expert on the fixed leggers.

It's easy to get caught up in the day to day posting & miss the gems in the reference gallery & library.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Morning, Lads,

In one of the very few stove trades I've even done, Albert White (our old friend, "Handi Albert"), from down under, sent me three very nice, and large, stoves. One of them is a Handi Quick Boil, which goes nicely with that brand new Handi double-burner that I picked up almost 30 years ago, in a dirt cheap buy!! The other two are both Companion stoves, both the roarer and the silent versions of the stoves put out by Companion under license from SVEA! All three Australian stoves are very well built, and quite robust, though much more utilitarian in their markings than the lovely SVEA stoves of that time period. I'm very glad to have them in my collection, and though I have not tried to fire up any of the three, though I do plan to do so, they appear to be quite capable and usable stoves!! One day, I'll get photos taken for the Reference Gallery, so that everyone can enjoy these Old Timers, too.

I wonder what's become of Albert White? Anyone still have contact with him? He is a good man, and a veritable font of information about the Handi brand of stoves, and also lamps and lanterns! I miss his presence here at CCS. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Just for coinsidence Ive just bought one of these. Still needs lots of polish before lighting but its all there except the trivet is marked coleman canada. It was sold as a coleman along with a lantern. The lantern has me guessing as it has a coleman glass but no markings anywhere apart from what looks like cats whiskers under the grime. The font doesnt look like any coleman Ive seen and it has a bakerlight wheel for the pricker and a pressure relief on the filler a little smaller than a optimus 00 filler.
    Did Companion make lanterns as well?

11. abbahco1

abbahco1 United States Subscriber

There's always an exception, of course - Svea used to make a point of how the legs were soldered onto their stoves into a vertical molded channel, rather than just sweated onto the curved surface of the tank. Companion, following Svea's pattern, did the same and their work was (nearly always) pretty meticulous.