Converting a Optimus 111B to an early 111

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Cleveland Parks, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Cleveland Parks United States

Hello all, as a long time Coleman collector I have recently become interested in stoves like Optimus and Primus. I have acquired a few 8R's as well as Seva 123's. However after recently purchasing my 1st Optimus #5 I realize what I have been missing out on. I have intentions of relocating to the Philippines where Coleman fuel is not available but paraffin is widely available as well as inexpensive. I have found a Optimus 111B very reasonable and would like to know if it can be converted to burn both paraffin as well as white gas as the 111 does? Any and all help will be appreciated.

2. Ian

Ian Subscriber

In a word, no.

The 111B burner effectively works like an 8R burner; the tubes play no part in the vapourisation of the fuel. All the tubes do in a 111B burner is support the top of the burner & flame ring.
    In the 111 burner the fuel goes up one of the tubes from the valve to the top of the burner, wherein it is vapourised, and the vapour then forced thru the U-shaped tube and out of the nipple.

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Cleveland Parks
    Firstly, best wishes in your re-location.

Just to add to what Ian has said above, the bulk of the value of the 111-series lies in the burner, with the kerosene fuelled models at a premium over the 111B and the silent burner option top dollar.

Finding just a kerosene burner (roarer or silent type) without the stove would equip you with a bolt-on replacement, but getting hold of the entire kerosene stove would be an easier find and probably only a fraction more expensive than the burner on its own.

John

4. pyro_P Australia

This is also another alternative, and with the addition of a silent cap, burn kero very well.

hiker.40811