Cooking stand for MSR Reactor

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by boknasild, Oct 7, 2019.

1. boknasild

boknasild Subscriber

After reading Rangies review for the MSR Reactor 1.0 L, I ordered one.
    Has anybody used the kind of cooking stand as seen in the photo or similar type?
    Of course a windshield is a must in such a configuration.

Bjørn

MSR Reactor .JPG

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I have only used the Reactor with the included pots.

3. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

I have seen those X ones advertised, as well as a "ring" type one.
    Considering the same myself..... :-k

Alec.

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Gents, and Ladies,

Personally, I don't think I'd muck about with those aftermarket pot stands. The requirement of an outboard windscreen would scare the heebie-jeebies out of me, as the chance of over heating the cartridge would loom large, me thinks!! The Reactor system works so well, why would you want to do anything else with it, but use it as designed??!! I've the the regular pot size, and also the 2.5 liter size pot, and they both work a treat. The larger pot, slows down the boiling times, as you might know, as it has more surface that's not directly over the heat. But, it works well, when cooking for several folks, or boiling larger amounts of water. Using the MSR cartridge leg set is a MUST when the larger pot, and we also use it with the smaller pot, as well. Just my 'tuppence, and others may have different desires, or thoughts about this combo. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. boknasild

boknasild Subscriber

Update
    Have ordered a "ring" type cooking stand. Will fit nicely with my small Trangia frying pan.
    Will post more photos when tested.

Bjørn

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Can you please post photos of your using it?
    Thanks.

7. boknasild

boknasild Subscriber

@snwcmpr
    Sure I'll post some photos when it arrives. Normally it takes 3 weeks from China to Norway
    with free shipping.

Bjørn

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I can see needing the stand to actually cook with a Reactor. Any pot other than the one provided will not fit the burner.
    I have successfully simmered, and cooked with the Reactor, but there are better stoves for that, and I usually have one along with the Reactor. The Trangia 25 comes to mind. One can take the Ferrari to the grocery store, but .... Is that really an example of its use?
    I made popcorn in the 1.7 liter Reactor, in a hotel room. It worked perfectly.

And, I am rarely with just one stove, if I bring a stove a tall. That rare occasion is most likely with a Trangia.

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, @boknasild , and All,

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of the MSR Reactor stove!! As I posted earlier in this thread, the Reactor is the Best of Breed, IMHO!! Here is a photo of my MSR Gassies, and the Jet Boil (for which I have very little use, as the other two blow it off the map!)

1.jpg

And, @snwcmpr , yes, indeed, here is my Windboiler, from MSR.

2.jpg

But, the King of the Gassies, is most certainly the Reactor!! We have two of them, and find them wonderful for their designed purpose! When we use just one, we carry it in an old Gregory Mountaineering pack side pocket. With a fuel canister inside the stove pot, and another, large one, stuffed outside and underneath the pot, we have room for our lighter, the MSR legs, and a couple of strikers. All of this, in a nice, neat package, makes for some excellent options.

3.jpg

The Reactor has never let us down, though I did melt the bottom out of the first one we had!! I walked away, and left the stove burning inside my canvas tent!! BAD MISTAKE!! I almost burned my own tent down!! Despite that horrible error on my part, and even after having taken the melting pot off the still running stove, I found the fuel canister cold to the touch, and the stove, was still merrily burning as designed!! Still works a treat, too, despite my horrible mistake in leaving it all alone "for a few minutes"!!! Here's what happened to my pot. You'll note the entire lid is missing, as it was totally vaporized!!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

So, word to the wise, this is one powerful stove, and you should NEVER leave it burning, without someone there to tend it!! As you can see, things can go South on you, very, very, VERY quickly!! But, even after all that, I still consider the Reactor to be a stellar stove, as long as the owner is not an idiot, like I was!!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Ah Yes. very nice.
    For those that do not know. The Windboiler name was changed when Jetboil complained about the name. MSR changed it to Windburner.
    There are a few, very few, Windburners still out there. I am sure they were returned to the factory. I got 2, or is it 3, before the name change was implemented fully. The price was dropped on discontinued models.