CookSet , Field

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Ian P, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Ian P

Ian P United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi all, I have just got a 1962 dated Cook Set, Field . It was new and still in the wrapper and cost a huge £14.95 ,including postage.
    Having a dumb attack trying to post pictures, but these are the sets that used to be called the " Mountain Cookset " .
    It was from Luton Army Surplus , Thier website seems to be setup for PayPal, at least that's what worked for Me.
    I seem to remember that they were sized to fit the M 1942 up to the M1950 stoves inside .
    I have just ordered Myself another two, to squirrel away for future projects, so will hopefully manage to send some wrapped and unwrapped photos, when My brain cells start talking to each other.
    Hope this is helpful to someone.
    All the best,Ian

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Ian P I see it. From their website:

70E2448D-7E3B-485B-8FBF-3FA051DB90A4.jpeg

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Ian P

When you wish to post a photo, click on the “Upload a File” button at the bottom of the dialogue box. The go to the photo you wish to upload and select it. When you want to place it in the post, put your curser at the position you want the phot to appear, and click on “Full Size”.

I have one of those cook sets.

Cheers

Tony

4. Ian P

That's the one.
    Thanks for the help Tony.
    I will put it to use when the other sets arrive.

All the best,Ian

5. Surveyor

Not having a good Internet it decides when it wants to contact, is there a link for M 1942 up to the M1950 stoves thanks

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  7. Surveyor

Many thanks may start looking for one

8. pipenfly

pipenfly Subscriber

Hello

You have a decent cook set here. I have one of these sets. The pan is made out of steel (although, not magnetic) while the two accompanying pots are both aluminum. An M-1942 stove does fit nicely inside for travel. This is a fine cook set for up to three or four people. I do prefer a stove with a simmer option to go with it as the M-1942 type single burners lack flame control. Congratulations on a nice cook set for a nice price. Enjoy!

9. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

These were actually produced in WW2 as the M1942 cookset, to go with the M1942 stove. (Both were designed by Bestor Robinson.) I've always assumed the M1950 stove was purposely designed to fit in the same cookset. At any rate, the cooksets were still manufactured and sold to the military until fairly recently.

....Arch

10. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

I bought one a few years ago. Very lightly used -- just a little instant coffee splatter on the inside pot. Frypan was like new. Marked SMC 1982.
    I saw in a US Army training film about arctic survival, [On youtube]. A squad of 10 guys, on skis, was issued a sled with a big tent, pack stove, 5 Gallon jerry can of gas. 2 Mountain Cook Sets, 2 Coleman single burner [M-1942 or M-1950] stoves, 5-Man ration packs and other stuff.
    I found the inside was the perfect dimension for an Optimus 8R or Optimus 99, if wrapped. On the 4 sides individual packets of cocao, oatmeal, instant soup or teabags can be stuffed.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  11. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

I bought a bunch of those several years ago, unused... Gave them away as gifts to family and friends... Kept two of them, but I’ve so many cook sets and miscellaneous camp pots, I’ve never used mine... I’ve always thought they were the cleverest cook set our military ever designed...

12. Ian P

SveaSizzler ,I have seen that film as well , a lot of the techniques shown in it are just as useful today, as they were 60+years ago.
    Using the cookset as a "brewkit" is an excellent idea. I have been using a No2/no12 stove Dixie ( the square stainless steel pan set) with an optimus eleventy one inside ,as a "brewkit " in My vehicles. Using this cookset with an optimus 8r , 99 or 199 ,with room for packets/sachets to pack around, could be a good replacement for this setup.

Too many options! I can see a day of "playing in the shed " coming up.

All the best,Ian

13. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

@SveaSizzler I hunted down the training film you mentioned... Pretty cool to see the cook set in action from back in 1955... The the period correct single burner stoves of course...

14. pysen78

pysen78 Subscriber

@Ian P Thank you for the tip. I placed an order. Site seems a bit dodgy, and no shipping fee? For the money, I'll take my chances and see what happens. I've got the m1942 stove but not the cookset.

@SveaSizzler @Haggis That's one cool film. I have a fascination for the mountain division. Havent seen that one. Thank you.

15. Ian P

@pysen78 I had no problem with Luton army surplus, they took a little while to email Me and to post it . But I thought that a couple of days, in the present unpleasantness was reasonable. I get the impression that the shop is a "mom and pop " outfit and they aren't to good with those damn 'puters. If You have no joy let Me know, if need be I could send You one of the extras I ordered a couple of days ago.

16. pysen78

pysen78 Subscriber

@Ian P You're right. They came through with a pleasant letter, asking for me to cover the additional overseas shipping, or an alternative refund for the item.
    All very reasonable!

17. Ian P

@pysen78 That's good news, I got a message from them as well. They asked if I had mentioned the cooksets to anyone else, They had received a large number of orders for the cooksets and wondered if I had anything to do with it?
    I did mention Classic Camp Stoves to them, I thought They would be Interested in a group buying a larger than normal amount of gear from them.
    All the best,Ian

18. Surveyor

Ordered 3, turned up today original package and labels as far as i can see,

19. Ian

Ian Subscriber

I also ordered one, which arrived today, to go with my last remaining M-1942. The seller asked me to 'spread the word'. :)

20. Huang Chun Chieh

This is the only one i have ever seen
    stamping In 1943
    Is it a prank?

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      277.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg