Cookset Mystery???

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by marblecreek, Apr 21, 2009.

1. marblecreek

marblecreek Subscriber

Yesterday I made a local purchase of a stove and a cookset (Craigslist). From the posted picture I assumed that I was purchasing a Sigg Tourist cookset and a Svea 123 stove. Not the case. Instead, I found a Primus 71 stove and the following cookset (pictures below) that has the following engraved on the edge of the lid: "ALU-PLUS GRONINGER SWISS MADE". The Primus 71 has a SVEA burner. Information provided by the seller makes me think that the kit dates to the early 1960's. The kit appears to be really well made and designed; I especially like the base for the stove (see picture below) that is designed specifically to fit the Primus 71 (the SVEA 123 stove will not fit). I think that the ventalation holes are kind of interesting.

I would appreciate any information about this configuration because I don't think that it is in the reference gallery (I could have missed it though.)
    Here is the complete cookset in its packed form. There are two pots, the two-part windblocker, and the frying pan/lid. Both pots are 1.5 L.

Pic1.jpg

Stove Base (the semi-circular rim in the middle fits the stove base.)
    Pic2.jpg

Two parts of the wind blocker.
    Pic3.jpg
    If anyone wants more pictures, I can post them. Thanks.

Steve

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Steve,

Nice one, my Friend! This set is a bit older than the regular Sigg Tourist model, and I like it quite a bit. You did well to score one of these, as I've not seen too many of them. I assume you got the pots with it, too, didn't you? Have fun with it, and thanks for sharing it with us. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. marblecreek

marblecreek Subscriber

Thanks Doc for the information; I was hoping that someone would eventually be able to shed some light on this setup. I do like it and will use it during my camping/fishing trips this summer. The design appears to make very good use of the heat output of the stove and it is a great size for two people. I have the complete set with two pots. I will assemble some pictures to put in the reference gallery.

4. Duran

Duran Subscriber

Sincere apologies for reviving this thread - i honestly don't know if this is against the rules of this forum - if so, someone please let me know.

I just got the same exact set, oddly enough from Craig's list as well, did I get yours? Just kidding.

While I like the pot support, I would much more prefer stainless steel pots for this setup. My question is, would stainless steel Sigg Tourist pots fit on this stove, does anyone know?

Any other stainless steel pots that may work (Solo etc)?

I would appreciate it if someone can let me know.

5. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

@Duran
    I love it when members resurrect an old thread. There is so much of interest buried in CCS. :thumbup:

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I will say a really good chance that the Sigg SS pots will fit the Sigg kit.
    Not meaning to sound off, just the obvious.

7. Duran

Duran Subscriber

I have never had a Sigg Tourist, didn't know if dimensions were the same as this Alu-Plus Groninger, stove pot design is a bit different, Alu-Plus is meant for Primus 71 , Svea won't fit in the bottom groves etc. thought it was a fair question.

Thank you for your reply.

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I did not mean to be rude. I was trying to be serious.

9. Duran

Duran Subscriber

You weren't rude, I didn't take it like that,sorry if I gave you that impression

10. Majicwrench

I have a Groninger set, if I can find it I will see if the Sigg stuff fits on it well.

Been missing it for a while, but it is here somewhere..

11. Duran

Duran Subscriber

Thank you so much. I went ahead and bought a solo 3 pot set. If they are not an exact fit, I can always use a stainless steel grate to place my pots on. It is a car camping set up so not too worried about bulk and weight.

Will still keep an eye out for a Stainless Sigg Tourist Set but they seem very few and far between..

12. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I was as clear as mud.
    As magicwrench said, trying an aluminum Sigg pot will let you know if a SS Sigg pot will fit.

The Solo pots do not have the step that the Sigg pots have, for setting in the windscreen raather than on the windscreen. It will probably slide or tip over.

13. Majicwrench

Found it. My Sigg tourist small pot will not sit down in the upper windscreen, it is a bit too big.

14. Duran

Duran Subscriber

Thank you so much. As luck has it, I just found a brand new stainless steel Sigg Tourist set, about an hour ago. Bought it, paid threw my teeth but I think it will be worth it. thank you so much for your help! All the best,

Aaron

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

OMG, Andrew, I have quietly lusted for one of those.
    @Duran

16. Mark Layman

Mark Layman Subscriber

Old thread yes. I got one of these cooksets today (Groningen made) with a P71. however the windscreen has additional aluminum riveted into the body and also has a plate that can partially cover the opening for the stove access for the throttle key. Thought it was interesting and definitely looks original.

259231DA-415C-4FBD-BF29-C474B6EBAE7A.jpeg

237DF7C9-4321-4920-AA24-43CE7BECF422.jpeg

17. tretrop

tretrop Subscriber

I was just out and picked up my new cookset, will get more pictures later.

s-l400.jpg

18. Radler Switzerland

@Mark Layman

Somebody has made a perfect suicide machine (carbon monoxide generator) by riveting the aluminium sheets into the "windscreen".

To make the thing more interesting, you can bet on which will happen earlier: the overheating of the stove or the melting of the "windscreen". Do not underestimate the power of a well working Primus No. 71 stove!

Believe me, the producer knew why he made the large windows in the pot carrier! It's not supposed to be a windscreen. If you need a windscreen, use something totally independent from the stove and with enough distance between.

Regards
    Radler

19. Dr Phun

Dr Phun Subscriber

Funny that you should mention that company. I had never heard of them before but this weekend I bought a grocery bag of cookware at a tag sale and there was a Groninger frying pan with a folding handle in it.

1FECBB42-A6E0-493A-80B5-26B22E32AC4A.jpeg 6 6FC51478-E91E-4D91-B916-2DFDC9E21905.jpeg

20. Mark Layman

Mark Layman Subscriber

Mr. Radler. Warning noted.

1. CO isn’t an issue if you cook outside your tent like one is supposed to.
    2. The P71 never was supposed to be a “long term cook stove” in the first place.
    3. I tested it and ran the stove with a load for twenty minutes. It didn’t get any hotter than being inside an OE type 71L barn with the door open.
    Regards.