Corona effect on Ebay prices

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Timothy Epp, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Timothy Epp

Hi all. I am considering selling a stove or two to fund the purchase of a youth shotgun for my son. (Basically, a transfer of funds from one collection to the other lol)

To those of you who watch prices more closely than I do: has corona put any downward pressure on prices lately?

Thanks
    Tim

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Seems more like fewer offerings. Really rare are still commanding a BIG price. One just sold for over $3,000 USD.
    Duane

3. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

I agree with Duane. Not after what I saw this morning.

Alex

4. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Good question Timothy,
    I'd say yes.
    For the
    most rare
    sought after / more collectible stoves
    I'm less sure, "maybe" some have dropped a tad. Like the others I too have seen some high prices rolling on last week. Will this hold in coming weeks?

That said (due to corona) from economy view, there is downward price pressure.
    There are at least 2 members in "sell off" mode on ebay.
    They may well be among the estimated 47 mil. Americans recently out of work, this also tends to mean fewer buyers. People have time on their hands and SELLING... they "need the money". The "collector's market" for upcoming months / year is uncertain...
    if choosing between buyer's market vs seller's market. With this massive hit to globally economy (some countries worse than others & it aint over), "I think" we in US have quickly entered a buyer's market.

You asked: to answer your question imo, "used" items on ebay will sell for less, on average until employment picks up again. and that
    IF there's a prolonged sluggish recovery that extends a buyer's market.
    FWIW I'm kicking myself for not getting on with "sell off" mode myself! (I'd sell 1/3 of what I've got when I get round tuit).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  5. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Just checking on stoves I've looked at recently, prices seem marginally up. I know a lot of people are experiencing severe hardship and selling items, but also a lot of people are sitting around doing nothing and cruising eBay.

There are three pillars to any sale.

1. Right item
    2. Right price
    3. Right time

One or even two pillars and sometimes all three are variable, depending on the importance of the other pillars.

You have the right item, you know the price you want, the only question is time. I would post what you have with a reserve to lock in the price you want, and see what happens - see if it's the right time.

What shotgun are you looking at for your son?

6. Timothy Epp

It does seem like there are fewer offerings now than before. I think I'll probably chance one. Now to decide which one...

I'm looking at either a Benelli Nova or Remington 870, both youth 20 gauge. For essentially the same money (in Canada), I'm leaning toward the Nova. I've had very good experiences with Beretta (same factory) and I suspect I'll get better re-sale in a few years.

Thoughts?

7. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

And it's getting expensive I might add. I just bought this can of half full Sperm Oil for $283 including tax. There's maybe a pint of oil in it.

s-l1600.jpg

Ben

8. Marc

Marc Subscriber

@Timothy Epp Hard to go wrong with either of those choices. If the prices are the same I'd go with the Benelli as well.

@z1ulike There's gotta be a joke there..........

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

When selling, the description is the key to a good sale price.

10. Daryl

Daryl United States Subscriber

Like Marc said, can't go wrong with the pump Nova. Although if a 50 year old 870 with AAA grade grade wood came a long that would be my choice although your Son might still like the black syn Nova.
    For Ebay, perfect time of year to sell camping type items you have that going for you. List it for what you want out of it and let it find new home. I sell items on E bay and for me 12 clear picture with honest description is the key. Left hand column you can see what items have sold for recently. When selling working stoves be ready to have buyer say other wise! I show pictures of stove working a say stove works but selling as un-tested. May not drive the price up but if you list it with your minimum you will be fine. Stay safe

11. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

The Nova looks great, though I like the traditional lines of the Remmie. But then, I'm old. My first at age 12 was a Winchester Mod. 37 in 20 gauge, and then I got my dad's Model 12 pump in 16 gauge when he went to nicer shotguns. Alas, both many decades out of production....

12. Marc

Marc Subscriber

You might be able to get a youth stock, and then when your son outgrows it, put an adult stock on the same shotgun. Something he can use for life instead of a few years.

13. Ed Winskill

The discussion has put me in mind of a shotgun for a 13-year old grandson. Inasmuch as he is already 6'2" tall, a youth model probably won't do. Henry makes a single-shot very reminiscent of the old Win mod. 37.

14. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Sunni(girlfriend) recently received the 20 gauge single shot that she first learned to shoot clays with ~30 years ago from a family member. Good memories.

15. Ed Winskill

Marc, what maker and model is that?

16. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Had to go check in the safe, it's a Springfield/Stevens 94A.

17. Ed Winskill

18. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Aye, looks very similar.

I have a Stevens 320 20 gauge pump. I wouldn't recommend it, despite it's Winchester 1300 lineage.

19. Ed Winskill

Then there's the Cooey 84! @Timothy Epp being Canadian....
    I stumbled across a very entertaining little You Tube vid with the title "My Five Most Canadian Guns", wherein I discovered the Cooey.

My own grandad, Canadian born and bred, used a Stirlingworth double in 12 gauge; a well-known Pennsylvania maker back then.

20. Timothy Epp

I would have preferred something more interesting and less...new, but the gun shows were all canceled this year. Got to strike while the iron is hot!