Current New Coleman Suitcase Prices

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Ed Winskill, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Just was out at Sportco, a nearby 'big-box' sporting goods store. They are not a chain, but are very big, and generally have very good prices on everything from boots to tents to ammo to much else.
    So I go now and then for this and that. Anyway, they have two Coleman liquid-fuel suitcase models on offer; one the trusty 425 small double-burner, and the other marked 414, the big double-burner (variations of which to me are the best of the suitcases).
    The big stove: $159.99. The 425: $109.99

Pretty pricey. I bought a couple of 425s for gifts to kids around 10 years or so back at $59 per. So nearly 100% increase since then. Forget what the big one was going for back then....

At least they're still making and marketing them...

2. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

Yeah I took a look around the local CO-OP a while back where I do most of my shopping. Probably not the best price place but close to home so took a look at the one CF fired Coleman lantern that they carry. I never even saw a CF fired stove. Price of $119 plus change Canuck bucks nearly knocked my socks off. Given a few months I'm sure I could find and buy at least 10 older model Coleman lanterns at the swaps for the same $$$ and probably a good chance all 10 would fire and work just fine with some loving.

Alex

3. Barrett New Zealand

Just checked the Coleman nz site, 2 burner liquid duel fueled stove is gone but I'm pretty sure last time I looked it had a RRP of NZ$400+.
    Sportster II duel fuel has RRP NZ$349.99

Some thievery going on somewhere

4. Kero-Scene

The 414 has disappeared from the Coleman Australia website and from the big chain camping stores. Some small retail outlets have it for AUD $250.

One of the same big chain stores discontinued selling Coleman lantern mantles a couple of months ago.

5. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Herself and I are yard-sale junkies in summer, given I’ve a weakness for Coleman stoves, and we live in camping country, I end up with more shop clutter every year. Usually Coleman suitcase stoves are $5 and under, sometimes the very old stoves too,,, I’ve even bought a few NIB for $2 or $3... I’m getting better about walking away, but when I see a very clean newer stove for less than the price of a replacement fuel cap, it’s difficult walk on.

Lanterns are all over the chart for used prices. When folk ask me their value, I say “A used lantern is worth the price of an unbroken globe, and that’s $10 in most stores”.

Here close, I’ve not seen a white gas Coleman suitcase stove in a store for several years,,, maybe I don’t visit enough stoves, but where I’ve been, there are none. It’s the same with liquid fuel lanterns,,, just globes, mantels, fuel caps, pumps, generators, and fuel, no lanterns.

It’s all canister stoves and lanterns, or battery lanterns now. Young people don’t seem to want smelly old stoves or lanterns, and they want “ultralight” ultra simple everything,,, even those who only car camp and picnic.

Pity really, a liquid fuel yard-sale suitcase stove and lantern, for under $20, will last a lifetime of camping or backcountry living. Buy them new from a big box store, and the Granddarlings will be passing them on to their kids...

6. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

Haggis..here in Mpls coleman two burners are left out for the junkers
    to take away.i guess that includes me because I have at least three I
    found on walks around my south mpls neighborhood plus another four
    or five I got at yard sales for $5 or so.
    a old heavy coleman I found is at this moment wrapped up in plastic bags
    and left out in the woods off a old logging trail for it's third winter.
    after using in at a drive in camp I wanted to see how it would last hidden away. when I go camping in the spring i'll bring it back to camp and see
    if and how it still works,old fuel and all.
    other CCS posters in Minnesota have given up on finding real classics.
    however look at this $10 yard sale find!

20191019_143355.jpg

new in the box for 10..how could I walk away!! too big for taking up
    north and useless around the house. I would pay four times+++
    just for a beat up 123..

7. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Nice find for $10...

I’m amazed at both the prices asked, and the bargains found here in Minnesota

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

And then someone will ask an outrageous price for a pile of rust.

9. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

I always have a price in mind but what I’ll pay up or down from that price depends on whom I’m buying from,,, at yard sales especially. Sometimes I’ll pay twice what the people are asking,,, “Charity with Dignity” is what I tell my children,,, If someone appears to be selling due to needing funds, I’ll often offer more than they ask. If someone looks to be selling off garage clutter, I’m a pretty low bidder...

10. Johnathan Canada

Here is what I found for local prices on the only two CF stoves you can buy new in Canada. All prices are in Canadian dollars

425 2-burner -> $159 - $190
    533 single burner -> $128 - $135 (only found at two stores)
    And you can now no longer buy direct from ColemanCanada website

11. Ed Winskill

I bought a 533 on sale at Walmart about 7 years ago (the first time I'd been in a Walmart) for around US$35.

12. short tip

short tip Subscriber

I've heard, with no direct proof, that Coleman has a "Wal Mart grade" of goods which can be sold more cheaply. Lighter gauge metal, fewer coats of paint, who knows. Apparently the prices on WalMart versions were cheaper than those at the "Factory Outlet in Wichita.

13. Ed Winskill

My 533 seems normal. Do you have indirect proof or other information?

14. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I have long heard this said about everything sold at the big box stores, including tools, appliances, etc. I don’t believe it without evidence.

15. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

It would seem that Coleman would be putting their reputation for quality at risk if they produced cheaper goods for certain outlets,,, not a clever move for a company so long in business.