D/38 Canada Speedmaster 500

Discussion in 'Coleman No:500' started by phaedrus42, Dec 8, 2017.

1. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

I was quite excited to find this one in barn fresh condition from a farm in the Karoo here in South Africa.
    It could not have been used much as the fuel-air valve tube was bright and clean as a whistle. Also, the generator innards had virtually no carbon build-up. It has the early L-shaped lghting lever.

The flame is a surprisingly clear blue, burning distilled unleaded petrol.

500d38-burn2.jpg

500d38-lhs.jpg 500d38-rhs.jpg 500d38-pump.jpg 500d38-lever.jpg 500d38-bottom.jpg 500d38-before.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  2. Wim

Very nice flame! Even in "as found" condition, it shows what it's worth. Not a backpackers stove, but such a great performer, I like these!

All the best,

Wim

3. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Congratulations Phil, it has cleaned up very nicely. :thumbup:

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Nice stove, the early version.
    Duane

5. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber SotM Winner

Wow, you did a really nice job of sprucing your stove up for presentation. I've got a couple of '38's that need similar attention. So many stoves, so little time. Well one of these days I'll get around to it.

Ben

6. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Any 500's surplus to your requirements would find good homes with some of my local collector buddies. Just say the word.

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@phaedrus42,

That's a lovely Speedmaster, and very well presented! Hearty congratulations on scoring such a fine example of a wonderful, and very useful stove!! Thanks for sharing! I have an old Coleman Speedmaster 500 what was original marketed and sold in Mexico. The box, which is in poor condition, has English and Spanish information on the sides, and when I first tried to fire it up, I found it filled with a noxious and very smelly fuel that I am sure was very old, leaded Mexican auto gas!!! The poor generator had been beaten to death, and there was no getting the spring, nor cleaning needle out of it. A very, very kind, CCS member, and good friend, sent me a brand new generator, and when installed, my M500 ran like brand new, though it does not look NEAR as lovely as yours does!! Mine dates to 1947, so your's is about 10 years older than mine. Excellent find, once again!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Thank you all very much for the kind comments! Thanks also to dday Dan; the last few of the screws you previously sent me saved the day!

9. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

Very nice. One of my favorites!

10. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

Very nice and in great condition. 1938 was the first year they made the 500 stove
    Jan

11. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Great find and an excellent stove. I never camp without mine on hand. Mike...