Damaged Trangia gas burner

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Tobias, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Tobias

Hi folks
    first of all Trangia send me a new burner cap. Excellent service!
    But I want undstand what has happen over the time.

For me, it looks like an partially underburn, that damage the head.
    Any ideas?

Trangia Brennerkopf.jpg

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Tobias
    So, compared to this eh?

6E9FEEE8-BF35-495D-9DA3-B4EB76D5A92C.jpeg

Underburn isn’t something I’d expect to afflict an isobutane burner with integral cap one-piece construction. It’s something seen with liquid-fuelled pressure stove silent burners with inner and outer caps.

The Trangia isn’t a silent burner of that method of working, more an impact plate (top of cap) design with gauze lining the cap.

Your usage? I mean, long periods on simmer? A cap can get red hot on simmer unlike at higher settings, at which the gas velocity’s high enough to drive the flamelets off the cap.

The confined, windless, location in a Trangia perhaps intensified that effect?

Curious. You can see mine’s had some use but without resulting in a melt-down.

John

3. Tobias

Hi John,
    thank you for your answer. I used the stove some time in simmer mode for longer.
    I've noticed the effect of underburn on several silent burners, Nova with Bernie silent cap (only when I'M using kerosen),
    Primus Omnilite Ti with Primus silent cap (gas and longer time full power). The stove was new. After some time of using, it works still fine.
    Two Primus Himalaya both with Bernie silent caps (gas).
    All of them starts roaring and the burner head glows intensive red.
    In that case above it affects only some part of the Trangia burner head and it's going worser over time.
    Years ago a find a picture of a Pingiun mantis gas stove with the same damage, but I cant't find the post anymore.

You can find a similar effect to underburn on stoves on a Petromax kerosene pressure lamp, I think. In german it's called "Mischrohrglühen"
    in this case the generator tube is glowing red hot, because the combustion starts within the generator tube, up to destroying large parts of the lamp including the glas.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  4. Tobias

Found the thread, it was a Karrimor stove, but identical to Pinguin. Same chinese factory? ;)

Attached Files:

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Tobias
    Whoa, that’s a mess!

6. Lennart F Sweden

The "underburns" I have experienced in undamaged burners without outer disturbance has originated in poorly centered gas stream from the jet - usually because of soot or other dirt in the jet but last time an extremely poorly drilled jet in an Egret 909(Optimus 1200 clone) storm lantern.

7. Lennart F Sweden

That Karrimor looks like a very common Firemaple that has been around with a lot of brands.

8. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

my exact thoughts too.

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Tobias ,

It appears that you are experiencing more than your share of under-burn, when you use the BD silent caps. You might want to revisit Gary's webpage, as he does talk about how to use his caps, without experiencing under-burn. I've never experienced that phenomenon with the older, hand-made BD caps, but did have one time when I was using his cast cap for my Nova, inside a Trangia 25. As soon as I heard the roaring, I shut the stove down, reprimed it, and fired it up again. I kept the adjustment low until the burner cap had heated up entirely. NO problems after that. In any case, check with Gary's site, and see if my memory for dealing with this experience with his cast caps is what he recommends. Shouldn't have any problems, at all. For what it's worth.....

Good luck, and God Bless!

Doc

PS - Tobias, where do you live, if I may ask?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020