DESCA Details Discussion

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by OMC, May 13, 2019.

1. OMC

OMC Subscriber

MANY DESCA details have been shared over last 14 years (search result is 5 pages!, a bit much to review).
    Purpose of this discussion (not "my" discussion)… I've collated details (from the masses) and post here in one place. These details are only now available with benefit of hindsight. The credit is due to our membership
    especially those involved in research of German makers (w/challenging complicated content).
    I apologize in advance (to my critics), my delivery will be flawed and not "proper". readers can focus on the content shared, make of it what you will and members PLEASE do build on it. For DESCA currently there are more questions than answers, in time membership will improve that I am sure. This post might help that effort.

Wenn es für deutsche Mitglieder effektiver ist, die deutsche Fertigungshostory auf Deutsch zu diskutieren, begrüße ich das und bitte nur darum, dass die wesentlichen bestätigten Details anschließend auf Englisch geteilt warden.
    IF German members find it more effective to discuss German manufacturing hostory in German, I welcome that and just request that the significant confirmed details be subsequently shared in English.

House & factory Hainewalde
    heinwalde.jpg
    credit @Marlen Dehmel source -> link oh, WELCOME Marlen !!!! So nice of you to join discussions, your early comments are intriguing :thumbup::thumbup: to say the least. Thank you.

*G.H. Wünsche, Hainewalde | Sachsen
    Metallwaren und Siebfabrik seit 1875,
    [the Desca maker origin. metalware and _____factory since 1875] others can confirm as it may not be accurate for me to describe Wünsche as parent company (again, as with all of the following, it can be complicated). *credit Marlen and @dusan for DESCA document Nr.57 (early 1936 / may be pre1936). Dušan's 2017 post --> link
    <-- source is the same document (below). At any rate, this may be the only "DESCA" document posted to-date (total of 4 pages, is all we got?) and we are thankful for that. The cover:
    hDESCAcvr.jpg
    it seems sooo much might be learned from the 4 pages, meanwhile being mindful, this is very preliminary discussion, and (just so far) content may span 1875 - c1936 in Hainewalde.
    It "lists" models: 1, 2, 3, 2E, 3D, 7, 8, 14, 15, 16 and
    Illustrates models: 1, 2E, 3E, 3D and 14 on the cover (14's interesting tank & knob).

Also on the cover is the wording "Tresor" and here we go
    tresor.JPG
    credit @gieorgijewski Tresor image source link
    ---------------------------------

Re: the Tresor above and examples that will follow I can not / do not assign an order nor ID model Nr.s. Dimensions are not given and can not assume they are same (they look same). EXAMPLES I share are SIMILAR and shown for purpose of understanding:
    trends
    changes made and
    how/when/where Desca stoves developed.
    Aware there are many other quite different DESCA models.

Here we go, in the mix are examples absent maker's mark @presscall stove , the only marking is Nur für Spiritus (/ Only for Spirit) and his surely looks a match to the Desca/"Tresor" (shown above).

I share Lance's Desca stove which represents different tank / design but also has only Nur für Spiritus on the frame. It does have "DESCA" on burner.
    hdescaLance.jpg
    BTW @matteo stove resembles Lance's as well

I share here the @optipri 3 stoves
    hdescaOptiA.JPG
    A. differs from above examples.

hdescaOptiB.JPG
    B. we see "Made in GDR" added, so post 1949.
    At this time I share war related comment (which is confusing): FWIW my impression is Hainwalde would be subject to not only NAZI control but periods of Soviet and also British occupation, at least that is the impression I get (again, this being preliminary).

hdescaOptiC.JPG
    C. the parts have changed, refer to link for detail.

I share a couple 2 burners for kicks
    Arjan's stove seen here TY @ajvuik and
    J Snow's below, source. NOS and FWIW general use of "GDR" spans 1949 - 90. I do not imply DESCA's were made as late as 1990 but the box for Snow's stove, strikes me, as most recent (of examples I've reviewed). While "production end" topic is raised does anyone have an idea when/where "Desca" stove production may have ended? @Marlen Dehmel
    [above we see Desca's pre1936 factory origin is re begin production, begs question when/where is end production]
    hDescaSnow2brnrjpg.jpg
    thx omc

PS Confession time, my review/collation is limited to details on CCS. I've too many irons in the fire myself. I encourage and do hope members build on the above details and, collectively, we fill in missing puzzle pieces of our impressive DESCA stoves!

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Great job you did so far @OMC ! Sorry I can't be of any help.

Best regards,

Wim

3. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

and DESCA 3 "gravity"
    [​IMG]
    with Barthels - NORMA tank (the same like ARARA S44)

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber SotM Winner

Nice work @OMC

John

5. Marlen Dehmel Germany

OK, my Hausband has found something behindert a wooden wall. I take two hours to clean it. 15578617721641996076677.jpg 1557861791240279435015.jpg 1557861808129547911897.jpg 15578618229691543002254.jpg

6. Marlen Dehmel Germany

And this sheet oft paper. I think its a flyer. But this stove was never get to the shops 15578620482461036882582.jpg

7. Marlen Dehmel Germany

Or this paper was for the pakages, to show whats inside. Because the backside of the Paper is full of glue.

8. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Marlen

Thank you for that information and photos.

Best regards

Tony

@Marlen Dehmel

10. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Marlen,
    Details are in English and I expect that is a challenge but
    you ARE WELCOME here, you are doing great! What you share is really great stuff too! I thank you again and husband.
    Participate as much as you are comfortable.

all,
    I'm not alone with interest in the Wünsche house factory Marlen has shared.
    I encourage discussion about Wünsche house / factory (as sub-topic related to Desca stoves). We've already learned, the old walls have a story to tell us, wow.

I'm curious approx. when this house/factory was first built... 1875?
    I only guess from appearance:
    it is enormous (for a house :content:) and
    was a series of add-ons (a sign of successful business).
    ----------------------

Being factory operation c1875 wonder is this located on the Mandau river or a stream? If many years ago was water wheel on back of factory? Water wheel to drive early machinery?

Which "maybe"
    ties into the trademark?
    hDescaLogo.JPG

what might that image represent? (water flow, water powered factory? maybe?).
    IF readers have idea re image it will be good to learn more.

More about the logo, we see Marlen's latest catalog pages, the stoves feature that logo. Such example we have not yet seen.
    I do not know but seems like it maybe earlier catalog and earlier stoves? This is great stuff.
    --------------------
    Gieorgi !
    Ah yes, I do recall your OLAF twins, cool. You're a great researcher as always and instrumental with tying more of this together. Thank you.
    thx omc
    @Marlen Dehmel

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  11. Marlen Dehmel Germany

Out House was build at the beginning of the 19 century. The big factury circa 1900.
    The first products where sievs make of hair and wood. Later enamel dishes and circa since 1925-1928 Desca stoves. ( the prices in the flyer are in "Reichsmark", this currency was used since 1924)

The Logo shows the "Himmelsbrücke".
    The bridge already exsists. The bridge is very special because the bridge and the reflection in the water shows a perfect circel.[​IMG]

12. Tony Press

13. Tony Press

14. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

It's great to get details like this. Thank you, Marlen.

....Arch

15. dusan

I broke my brain about OLAF vs.DESCA.First I'think,Olaf is old Name they sometime changet to DESCA.
    But DESCA is since 1924 on Pricelist (RM).
    I think now :
    DESCA - Nur für Spiritus
    OLAF - Nur für Petroleum
    Similar to G.Barhel's Norma und Juwel
    Them is StephanE's "Spirit Stove Olaf" not Spirit stove,but Petroleum stove and two chambres tank given a point.Small chambre spiritus,large chambre petrol.

Dusan