DIY Spirit Cup

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Harry Cinder Rods, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Harry Cinder Rods

I know it is only a few quid for a bought'n but I couldn't help feeling that I ought to be able to make a spirit cup for my Tilley Guardsman somehow. Inspiration came in the form of a can of Bud. Pictures of my beer fueled efforts below;

Inspiration Strikes.
    1349681837-Inspiration_Strikes.jpg

The First Cut.
    1349681883-The_first_cut.jpg

With help from an old friend.
    1349681900-With_help_from_an_old_friend.jpg

Practicality over Prettiness.
    1349681931-Practicality_over_Prettiness.jpg

Fitted.
    1349681955-Fitted.jpg

Lit.
    1349681977-Lit.jpg

Success!
    1349681999-Success.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Nice!

Errr...
    Brits drink Bud? :-&

3. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Only the ones that don't like drinking beer :lol:

4. Harry Cinder Rods

Ran out of real ale, so had to resort to the 'King' Much prefer a pint of Harvey's or my local Chiddingston, but needs must when the thirst is on.

5. linux_author

nice job! i resorted to a copper end cap and a strip of brass bolted onto the generator for my Coleman kero conversions

btw, isn't Bud a Belgian beer?

:-)

willie
    on the tankardless Gulf of Mexico

6. expat

Have you tried the Rhymney ales? The brewery is local(ish) to where I'm from originally and the ale is better than most of the common ones ;)

Back on topic - it's a neat idea! Thanks for sharing! Do you drill the center hole or cut it?

7. pau-i-amor

pau-i-amor Subscriber

It's a good idea. I just bought an old Tilley lamp without the spirit cup. :thumbup:

8. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

Have to agree that it's a better use of a Bud can than it was originally designed to do. I've always preferred bitter to lager but if the landlord can't look after his ale I'm not against switching to the continental stuff. As my grandfather always advised, have a look around at the clarity of the beer when you arrive at a pub and ask for a pint of what looks best.

That said the most refreshing drink I recall when I've been stateside was what we Brits would call a lager shandy. Made all the more especially as it completely baffled the bartender and regulars in down town Philly when I asked for it. They still weren't convinced when I got a bottle of Bud and a bottle of 7-up and mixed the two together in a 20 oz glass.

More seriously, what do you use to get the alcohol into the cup? It doesn't look like there is much space between it and the bottom of the glass. I've got several lamps that would benefit from this adaptation as it wouldn't get lost or go slimy like the Tilley torches tend to do.

Best regards

John

9. Harry Cinder Rods

Hi, I drilled the centre hole with a 9.5mm bit so as to keep a snug fit. I keep the meths in an old Washing up liquid bottle so I can 'carefully' squirt a bit in. a better container would be one of these. http://www.hartleige.com/product.php?category=samplesqueeze-bottles but they only seem to come in boxes of 20. So I'll stick with my makeshift squeezy bottle for now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015