Do I have a small leak? Coleman 530

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Mycroft Groks, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Mycroft Groks United States

I've been playing around with my 530 I recently bought. I put on a M1950 pin, generator, preheat cup and burner. The generator and pin are unused extra parts I had in a M1950's pump handle. I have tried to light this and run it periodically and the first two times, it ran fine. I'm having a hard time lighting it now AND when I remove it from its carrying can, there is a slight amount of fuel on the bottom of the aluminum can and on the defuser plate. I can't see any fuel leaking out, but I did notice a little fuel on the bevel under the fount. I did fill it a little before I put it away, could it be just spilled fuel or do I have a slight leak? As far as I can tell, it did hold pressure while stored.

2. Duck United States

Take it out of the canister and clean it of any fuel on the tank. Then put it on a piece of card board. That will show if it’s leaking. Also I had one that I stored in its container it built pressure from the heat (California summers) and it seeped out of nipple from a not completely tightened valve.

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Following a change of parts with the originals. Just curious, but why did you replace them?

I’ve a 530 and a couple of M1950’s and I’m unable to check right now by dismantling but I wasn’t aware that an M1950 generator matched the joint taper on a 530 riser tube? If there’s a failure to seal perfectly there’s your fuel leak with residual tank pressure and air leak during starting, with consequent disrupted fuelling.

4. Mycroft Groks United States

I replaced the generator, nut, pin and burner because the old generator was stuck on the old burner and in my attempt to remove it to check the nozzle, I bent the hell out of the burner. A M1950 burner will not thread into the 530 genny, but the M1950 genny will work on the 530 if you change out the pin as well. Old Coleman parts state this on their website.

Plus now I have a preheat cup on the 530.

In retrospect, I probably should have just replaced the burner with a 530 one when I got in my latest buy of two none working 530s and an incomplete M1950...but the genny and pin I put on the 530 was NOS and never used.. Plus now I only have to stock one generator and pin for both my 530 and my M1950.

I cleaned out the fuel stem last night and fired it up.. no issues now, so it was probably just some varnish or a clog.

5. Mycroft Groks United States

I've had it out for two days now.. wiped the outside down good, pumped it up and left it on some white cardboard. Came back two days later and it was still pressurized and there was no ring on the cardboard. I stored it pressurized and as you pointed out, temp could have been a factor. From now on, I'll store it depressurized and see if I notice a difference..

6. presscall

@Mycroft Groks
    Pleased to hear it’s most probably sorted.

Thanks for the update and clarification on interchangeable parts.

7. Mycroft Groks United States

Put it back in the case, waited a day and there's fuel on the plate and container. I wiped it down and then put it back in with a paper towel around it. I'll open it back up in a day.

8. Duck United States

Is there any fuel on the valve or generator? Or is it just on the tank? Put it back on the cardboard with pressure in the tank. See if you can see where it’s coming from.

9. Mycroft Groks United States

It's just on the bottom of the canister and the plate I store under the stove. I can't find any fuel on the stove at all.

10. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Your description suggests a leak in the bottom seam of the tank. I would be a little surprised to have a leak there, but it's possible. I'm going to echo @Duck 's suggestion that you pressurize the stove with fuel in the tank, and set it on the cardboard to try and narrow down where the leak is coming from.

....Arch

11. presscall

@Mycroft Groks
    A handy feature of a pump-pressurised fuel tank stove is that emptied of fuel and pressurised, dunking the whole stove in a bucket of water reveals the source of a fuel or air leak as a stream of small bubbles from the location of the leak.