Do you have a "car stove"?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Marc, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Alcoholic Australia

Trangia 25 when I take a car stove. Two if it’s a family outing. Duossal for car and HA for hiking. Plus a Duossal 27 for for longer term holiday camping, for sauces etc.

Three kids who are nearly all teenagers so I’m getting close to needing a third 25 for those family camps…

2. Deleted Account 250821 Guest

I have a homemade alcohol wick stove,a cheapy alpine xanister stove and for real emergencies-a panel saw and chopper.
    We have an abundance of wood,even if it is the "light no fires" sign

3. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

An Esbit is always in my tool box in the Jeep. During snow season I add another in the emergency kit with food, candles, space blanket and sleeping bag.

4. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Just bought a new(er) truck, a gasser this time. Thinking a dual fuel single burner, in a pot set, will take on stove duties this time. Keep it full of white gas, and maybe add another fuel bottle, but able to burn gas from the tank if needed.

5. Jaime Massang

Jaime Massang Australia Subscriber

Does 'gasser' mean gasoline or is it LPG (liquid petroleum gas)?

I love the different meanings of ordinary English words by the international membership which has sometimes caused friction and virtual 'fisticuffs' on the CCS site.

The term, 'tailgating' I have seen refers to cooking or picnicking off the tailgate of a truck or station wagon.

In Australia it is a driving no-no often causing road rage.

6. Stokemup Australia

Marc, Can't but help think that your avatar picture of a backpack flamethrower suggests something that you should carry for a very spectacular and quick cup of tea, coffee or cook up.
    Graham

7. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Gasoline. LPG would have been nice, this thing will be a guzzler and will likely sit a lot, a fuel that doesn't go bad would be quite a bonus.

"Tailgating" here most of the time refers to the same thing it apparently does in Australia. One of my biggest pet peeves while driving, stay off my rear bumper...........

Avatar was inspired by just such a thing!

8. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

One of the joys of driving on country roads....

"Tailgating" here means just that, as in Oz. With regard to the 'tailgate party' that'd be the back-of-the-vehicle repast, particularly in stadium parking lots before the big game. But it's not referred to as 'tailgating'.

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

LOL, tailgating is following way too close to the car in front of you 'while driving'.

10. E.B.

E.B. United States Subscriber

My car stove.

358FCAAC-18F5-4C0B-9644-96898C8CD559.jpeg

11. Jaime Massang

This weekend tailgating a 22 -( CCS thread)

(where I got the idea that 'tailgating' had another meaning)

12. Ed Winskill

An easy error to make; so much so that it really isn't an error. More a matter of customary usage here.

The picnic sense is almost always coupled with 'party', but it may be an over-subtle point.

If a group of friends were going to meet at the stadium, they might well say 'we'll be tailgating'. In such a case, there would be little room for confusion.

13. itchy

I've heard "tailgating" used to mean both. Never heard it used as "tailgate party" or "tailgating party" -- probably a regional thing. Sports events seem to be the main place the parties occur but believe it or not there are still a few drive-in movie theaters (in the south at least) where people "tailgate" cookout and watch movies in lawn chairs.

14. Ed Winskill

When we were in high school in the '60s, drive-in movie theaters were very common. The Tacoma area had three big ones; we went to all of them often. They were just part of the everyday scene, and were great for families....and for dates.

We didn't 'tailgate' there, though. Indeed I seem to remember you were supposed to stay in your car, except to go up for popcorn, etc.

They gradually faded away. Not entirely sure why. Land values were a factor in the urban ones; the large sites, already cleared, were great for apartment developments...

15. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

I remember going the the Drive-In theater when I was in college 50 years ago. We'd fold down the glove compartment door and make RBPRDP's (Ron Bacardi Puerto Rican Doctor Pepper). A good time was had by all.

Ben

16. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I saw War Games (?), or Red Dawn, at a drive in theater in '84. Last time I recall being at one.
    Maybe it was a double feature (?).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  17. Marc

Marc Subscriber

I fondly remember a date at a drive-in theater with an ex girlfriend, in an old school Chevy pickup with a bench seat. We even watched some of the movie! Sadly, that theater has closed.

18. Ed Winskill

There was a lot of 'making out' at the drive-in theater (when did you last hear that term?) back then. On the other hand, strange to contemporary ears as it may seem, the then-current mores provided pretty strong protective armor for the lasses. Not that it was impermeable, but nearly so. In those days, mothers schooled their daughters well in the techniques of avoidance and repulse.

My future (and current) wife and I met and started going out in the Summer of 1964, at age 16. We went to the drive-ins a lot during high school. Lotta fun memories and laughs from those times....

19. Jaime Massang

Guys, get it straight, party or no party, its tailgating, not taildating...

20. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Turns out there's a drive-in still open ~1 hour from my house!

Home

The "new" truck is yet again a Chevy with a proper-ish bench seat, as god intended pickups to have. Bam, date night is planned.