Dum-dum me needs a wee bit of help....

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by It'l Dodat, Feb 6, 2019.

1. It'l Dodat

Morning everybody

Ihave been very very lucky just reciently.... Just all of a sudden I got no less than 3 units.

I'm not a media fundi, so somebody put this on the net for me, but the delicious photos and the story behind them, I'll have to sort out later (I think this is the right forum?)

Here are vids of lighting up 2 of the units I've got, The gas one is highly likely for the very first time after pre delivery checks... (given the lack of discolouration of the burners)

Petrol stove:

Cadac:

Anyhow, more urgently,

I’ve been really lucky, and a member on another local forum is sending me (free of charge) an Optimus R8 stove. see photos that he sent me....

Any help would be welcome... We in South Africa don't really have this stuff..... BTW I'm chasing a brand new, unused complete one of these... BUT it's quite expensive....

stove optimus model 8R a.jpg

Stove optimus model 8R b.jpg

Stove optimus model 8R c.jpg

In the photos he sent me, I see the pump is not there, but from digging around here I believe that the pump is not necessary unless it’s for very cold climates, which we don’t really have here in South Africa, and I can prime it with an eye-dropper

But, I do have some fuel questions.

I picked up that you can use methylated spirits, and I assume CF is Coleman fuel, which I doubt I can get here.

So my question is will the stove operate on petrol?

The petrol stove in the video, was done with 93 octane when the instructions say leaded... I think that's why it surges before settling down...

2. Optimust

Optimust United Kingdom Subscriber

@It'l Dodat

Hi, Optimust here,
    The 8r stoves are made to be used with
    White gas, gasoline.
    I ran my 2 8r stoves on 20_1 two stroke mix for a couple of times @ Vespa rallies,
    Big mistake. The stove & pans sooted up badly. Petrol station fuel is a no no. I now use Aspen 4 chainsaw fuel, another option is Panel Wipe. Can you source
    them where you are. I assume the pump
    You refer to is used when kerosine or paraffin is the fuel in the tank, & a different filler cap is needed to fit the pump. Instructions for using the stove can be found in the Stove reference library. Be Very carefull with the fuel you can source.
    Best regards, Optimust. (Alan)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  3. It'l Dodat

Hi Optimust
    Thanks a ton

Also had a Vespa... circumnavigated SA on it....

Anyhow, Its probibly a no to sourcing any of the fuels you refer to, And I don't know chemically what panel wipe is....

I'm kinda stuck to either: - Parafine / methylated spirits / petrol 93 octaine. I agree that petrol mixed with 2stroke would cause a problem..

I doubt I can source Coleman fuel either.

I'm not using the stove to actually cook on, but I do want it to work...

This is South Africa.... Camper's here are mostly bunch of la-de-da types and have to have the latest and greatest, so the supply shops just source Chinese imports.

The pump... I see there is a little pump that comes with the stove to pump up the pressure in the fuel tank, this one does not have it. From what I've been able to dig up, the pump is actually more of an accessory than a neccessity, and filling the primer cup with an eye dropper get's around the problem

From what I understand, the elevated ambient temprature from lighting the stove causes the fuel in the tank to expand thereby creating the pressure that forces the fuel to the burner... Is that pretty much it?

4. Optimust

Optimust United Kingdom Subscriber

@ It'l Dodat.

Hi again, If you have petrol in the tank,
    open the valve a little on burner with the control key, warm the outside of the tank with the palm of your hand, the fuel will
    trickle from the jet down into the spirit cup beneath, apply a match to ignite fuel in the cup, & the flame will gasify the fuel in the burner, bringing it up to pressure, you won't need a pump with petrol, only paraffin. S. A. on a Vespa, Epic. Keep in touch, Best Regards Optimust.
    P. S. Panel Wipe is used by car sprayers to clean the surface prior to applying paint, spirit based it is used successfully by other CCS members. Maybe you can find it or an alternative @ a body shop. Good Luck, hope you find something. Alan.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  5. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

In Souh Africa, Panel Wipe is labelled Pre-Clean. It is distributed by Prem-Chem and is available from shops that sell paint to the panel-beating industry. It is a colourless liquid in a 5 liter plastic jug and costs about ZAR180.00 It is pretty much pure hexane and smells a little like cleaning benzine. It is not benzine, though.

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Kerosene’s not an optional fuel for an Optimus 8R. It’s not volatile enough for the burner design to maintain vapourisation beyond the priming phase. True, the detachable mini pump and special fuel cap/safety release valve assembly are used on a kerosene stove, but that’s an Optimus 199.

The panel wipe that Phaedrus42 describes sounds suitable. Some panel wipes are water solvent based and wouldn’t work as stove fuel.

7. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Possibly aka 'Slow' panel wipe.

The 'Fast' is unsuitable for stove use.