Dunk test / newbie

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by esphojo, Nov 22, 2019.

1. esphojo

esphojo Subscriber

Hi,

Quite new to this, but I find my self more and more occupied with stoves. Been reading here for a while and find it most intresting. Thanks!

I'm from Norway and autum/winterhiking led me to buy an Optimus 111 for use with kerosene. I must admit that the fear of white gas / gasoline in a pressurised tank put me in the direction of kerosene. Figured it would be easier with an old 111 than a new whitegas/multifuel burner with a hose.

However one stove led to another! And another, and another and suddenly I realise that the reason I bought my first stove ine the first place is all forgotten. Somehow a few whitegas/gasoline-stoves have made their way into my house! Have lit some, and some are yet to be fired by me

Now I'm trying to fettle a Radius 46. After searching the internet for repkit/seal I have concluded to try to make my own (if anybody knows about any pls let me know). Still waiting for some parts, but when finished I understand a "dunk test" should be performed. Put the stove in the freezer for a while? With white gas or empty? Then open and close the tank again before dunking it in hot water?

A lot of background-suff for a few small questions

2. afoton

Empty, and with open tank. You want as much cold air as possible to expand when warming up.

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Closed tank.
    You want the pressure release to be at the leak.

4. afoton

Open in the freezer, you want the cold air to enter the tank. And of course, closed in the hot water bucket.

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Ok, I just released the pressure before dunking, if I remembered.

6. esphojo

esphojo Subscriber

Will try that. Thanks :content: