Early 22

Discussion in 'Optimus No:22 (all variants)' started by Garth, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Garth

Taken ages to drag the old girl out my grandfathers 22 been in the family since new rebuilt many times, and the red paint--- because I had it and it looks better than previous rust colour 20180623_170215.jpg

2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

The best stoves are well used (loved) stoves. By that measure your's is a treasure in red.

Ben

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

All my old 22's have needed to be painted to save them.
    Duane

4. Garth

Flames not the best but I guess ok for heat distorted burners.

20180624_090101.jpg

20180624_090112.jpg

5. Garth

Low flame not good at all but has been like that all 50 years I've known this stove.

20180624_092113.jpg

New jet spindle and packing changed nothing

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Kero or gas? If using gas, jets may be sized for kero. Being a 22, should be kero.
    Duane

7. Garth

Definitely kero this one but this things really had a hard life my parents got it from our grandparents because us kids wouldn't go near the Coleman they had let alone eat anything from it we were terrified of the fireball producing thing this one was a favourite fed a family of 6 taken on nearly every scout/ school camp borrowed by others and it still goes but the burners aren't the shape they should be now more oval than round and there's vast amounts of solder containing the fuel in the tank now.

2018-06-24 09.41.56.jpg

2018-06-24 09.43.03.jpg

8. Garth

Doesnt show well but those top plates roll up with age

9. Garth

Just out of interest does anybody know the jet sizes for these burners? My 111b got a new jet around the same time and euns perfectly shame the fuel is so bloody hard to locate for it or insanely expensive because it has a coleman label on it $6.00 per litre for kero here and available everywhere $19.00 for coleman fuel and only found at sad yuppie type glamping stores

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

My brain isn't functioning too well, the stove should use either fuel, the jet may be a happy medium to enable use of both gas and kero. The "B" is only gas. The jets may have gotten enlarged over time and now too rich for a decent kero burn.
    Duane

11. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Garth

See if you can buy “Shellite” or “Recosol 55” in NZ. It is the same as Coleman fuel.

But... as long as your stove doesn’t leave soot that comes off on your finger On the bottom of the pot, your flame is ok.

Cheers

Tony

12. Garth

Fuelite was available at repco in christchurch but dunedin doesnt stock it sadly they do however have prepsol/panel wipe? Was considering that but price very high doesnt help they change names all the time even kero bottle has warning label not suitable for lamps use lamp oil at 5 times the price well still using kero as I always have and stove works exactly as it always has despite labels saying kero is now unsuitable as a fuel next thing they will be trying to say petrol is unsuitable for the car marketing types im still amazed America accepts the term gas for what is most clearly liquid

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  13. Tony Press

@Garth

I would use kero in that stove, rather than gasoline anyway.

I use Jet A1 (jet aircraft fuel) as it’s the purest kerosene I can get in Australia.

Cheers

Tony

14. Garth

This is the stuff I've been using its very cheap dont really understand why its no longer suitable my stoves and Tilley lamps still run ok.

2018-06-24 11.07.19.jpg

Conflicting statements there 100% kerosene and not suitable for kerosene burners.

15. Garth

The white spirit when I can find the stuff 2018-06-24 11.18.53.jpg

16. Tony Press

@Garth

It looks like they’ve changed the standard of your kero.

See if you can get Jet A1.

Cheers

Tony

17. Garth

I've established that Hammerite red wasn't the best choice of paint for it wonder oven now heating to the smell of hot paint might continue with Primus 5 for that task though it gets insanely warm too with that task. Tried it on 111B but it doesn't sit well on that and that fuelite smells kinda awful burning or maybe just used to kero smell grew up around kero heaters, etc.

2018-06-24 11.59.07.jpg

18. Garth

That distorted burner may be the problem while the left heats evenly and cleanly the right is more random in output showed up on the base of the wonder oven

19. Garth

20. Garth

Update on the lamp oil thats now recommended I located it at an ok price in regular and citronella types that tells me its not suitable for a pressure stove the non reccomended kero runs great in it ill keep using it