Early Optimus Burner?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by kerophile, Jan 24, 2008.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, I recently acquired a nickel-plated Optimus 1S stove. This is a paraffin-fuelled 2-pint stove, which in this case is fitted with a silent burner. Originally I believe the Op 1S would have had a roarer burner as standard.

I am working on the stove at present, but I have a question; Do this burner, spirit cup and igniter look as if they were made by Optimus?

DSCN0097_edited-3.jpg

DSCN0098_edited-4.jpg

DSCN0103_edited-2.jpg

The spirit cup has a dimple. The curved shroud-plate shields this dimple and in operation directs the flame up to one of the small holes in the skirt of the silent burner. The shroud-plate is brazed or spot-welded to the base of the spirit-cup. Both spirit cup and shroud are made from brass, which has been nickel-plated.

As I said earlier, this burner assembly came from a nickel-plated stove, which might suggest that the spirit cup has been there since the stove was made.

The silent burner is marked as being made by Optimus although I have fitted later burner cups.

I have never seen a dimpled sprit cup on an Optimus 2-pint stove before and always thought of them as being a feature of Svea ( Max Sievert) stoves. Similarly using a shroud-plate as an igniter tends to seen on early Svea stoves.

I would be grateful for any information or suggestions.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

2. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

Kero--what i know about stoves could be written on a postage stamp--
    however i don't think i have seen that sort of tube gizmo on the site before..
    it looks to be very clever and simple..i assume it carrys the priming meth to the
    cup and the because of it's size and shape carrys the flame up to the burner head..
    with the underburning problem i would think something like this would be standred
    on all silent burners....also..very nice photos..

3. kerophile

Hi Dave, this arrangement for igniting a silent burner "automatically" was introduced very early in stove design. It is certainly featured in the 1915 Svea catalogue.

It was later modified to a tube-based design, containing a bell-shaped arrangement, stuffed with asbestos, at its lower end. This dipped into the spirit-cup, acted as an internal reservoir, and did away with the need for a dimple.

In operation the last priming spirit burning is located in the dimple. The flame from this small reservoir is shielded from the nipple, by the shroud plate, and directed upwards to the skirt of the burner head. When you pump up the tank and hot vapour exits the holes in the silent burner cap, it is ignited by this pilot flame. No-underburn and Happiness results. You have also saved a match!

The later tubular igniters might have been a Primus patent, but by the 1930s thay were being offered by most paraffin stove manufacturers.

Igniters were a great invention.

I was actually going to apologise for the photos. We have low light conditions in the North at this time of year, so colour balance is always a problem. In addition this camers has a fairly small depth of field so if I have the spirit cup in focus, the burner cap is a bit fuzzy.

Best Regards,
    George.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi George - take a look at this:

[​IMG]

I think I have one in the workshop on the 'to fettle' shelf.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  5. Lance

I do not know squat about your burner Kero but i do know that of my silent burners one came fitted with the proper bell shaped igniter and the other did not. i tried to make one from some copper tube but my tubing is too large. i fitted pipe cleaners as wicking but the newer pipe cleaners are made using a synthitic material and disentegtate after being used three times. i'm thinking of using cotton thread from a mop for my next try but first i need to find smaller tubing. I contacted Magnus about buying some igniters but found them ove my budget.

lance

6. kerophile

Hi Ross, Spot-on.
    I believe that is my spirit-cup/igniter combination and is therefore probably original for my Optimus No1S stove, which I reckon dates from the 1930s.

As I said I had never seen one like this before.
    The dimples on Svea stoves did tend to be deeper than these shown in the 1929 Optimus Catalogue.

Thanks for your help.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile

7. Ian

Ian Subscriber

IIRC the shroud plate or nib in the Svea versions was riveted to the cup. From time to time stoves crop up where the nib has been broken off and just the rivet and dimple remain.
    I don't think this type of igniter is anything like as good as the tubular variety. You have to get your timing just right when getting the fuel moving through the (silent) burner; too soon and it goes straight into underburn, too late and you've missed it.

8. kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  9. lobey_d

George, somehow I missed this thread or I would have posted sooner.

I have an old optimus No5 fitted with a similar spirit cup. Unfortunately the igniter has come adrift. I think maybe it was rivetted as both parts have holes.

opt3.jpg

I think this stove may be a "bitsa" - the filler cap is Primus and there is a shamrock (or clover leaf) stamped on the burner nut. Could this perhaps be a Hipolito burner?

opt2.jpg

This is the stove which needs some work :roll:

opt1.jpg

10. kerophile

Hi Jim, you have produced some nice photos.

I went and checked my spirit cup again. The shroud plate is attached, like yours, to the base of the spirit cup but mine is attached by two neat spot-welds rather than rivets. It could be that Optimus started with riveted assemblies and then adopted the quicker spot-welding method.
    Your spirit cup does however look like an Optimus one , as the dimple is much shallower than that on a Svea spirit-cup.

Your burner is really bugging me. I have seen a clover before as a company logo but I can't remeber where. I had always considered the sea-horse as being the symbol used by Hipolito, as I think that is what Hipolito means in Potuguese.

Good Luck with the fettling of your stove.

Best Regards,
    George.

11. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Hipolito also uses a clover on its stoves, but it's a 4-leaf clover, if I recall aright. It doesn't look like that one.

Hipolito means "freeer of horses" and is a not entirely uncommon name in Portuguese and Spanish. The seahorse must be a takeoff on the hipo part, I have always assumed.

12. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Veritas had a similar 3 leaf logo minus the stalk.