Easy Out tool

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Frankarooney, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Frankarooney

Frankarooney Australia Subscriber

Hi all. Has anyone purchased a tool like this? I have a Burmos that I’ve butchered and need to get the NRV out somehow. I’m not much of a toolmaker and don’t have a shed full of stuff so looking to buy something...

9DC90244-D6B7-45CF-A2C0-4060DC241689.jpeg

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Frankarooney Probably not worth spending on that tool for what you have in mind for it.

There’s only a slim chance it would break the bond of the tight NRV threads before reaming out the air inlet hole in the valve.

Better to spend on a blowtorch, flux, solder and remove and replace the pump tube.

Come to think of it, I’ve never yet had success with an extractor tool in any workshop context.

John

3. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

I agree with John. If the NRV can't be had with a good quality NRV tool, an extractor is unlikely to work and you run the risk of damaging the pump tube. Jerry

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

The pushing force required can break the solder joint at the bottom of the tube. Better to use a tool like what @hikerduane recently received.
    Or use a torch and solder to R&R the tube.

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

@Frankarooney ,

I agree with that the guys have told you. Get a GOOD NRV tool, and forget about using any “easy out” thing. The right tool, for the right job, is always the best course of action. Good luck, and God Bless!

Doc

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I've never had any luck with a extractor on a stove, even a couple types.
    Duane

7. Frankarooney

Frankarooney Australia Subscriber

Thanks for the advice everyone, I’ll look into buying or making a better tool, or if it comes to it, removing the pump tube.

8. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

I see some sound advice above. I would like to add that I would never use such a tool while the NRV was in good enough condition to use a proper tool to remove it. That being said I have used an easy out to remove a badly damaged NRV out of a stove before and it worked like a charm. I consider such an effort to be a last ditch method when all else fails. At the time I did not have a torch and such to remove the pump tube hence why I used the easy out. I would like to know where to get that tool just to have it though. It looks much better than my makeshift one. 20191010-142547.jpg 20191010-142658.jpg