Edelweiss/Primus 71 test

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by mbechtel, May 9, 2011.

1. mbechtel

Last year when I went off into the woods for a week, I took Kerosene/Paraffin stoves. This year I thought I'd switch to gasoline. As I was going through my stoves, trying to decide what to pack, I thought I'd try out an Edelweiss pan set I recently aquired. I loaded up the correct camping fare for what I would probably eat...specifically....tasty, easy to prepare and horribly unhealthy. Macaroni and Cheese with little smokie sausages seemed to be a perfect choice. I assembled all the needed items...

1304964380-1b_opt.jpg

What we have here is Mac and Cheese, the sausages left over from something my wife made, REAL butter(use only with adult supervision), and milk. The bottled water was to boil the macaroni, not to drink. (Note the small creature under the table, hoping for something to spill or drop)
    Since I'm not preparing poached salmon and it's just my back yard, the liquid refreshment is a cheap blended scotch (Ballantine's for those of you that drink). The single malts would have come out, had I been cooking a nice filet or boiling Alaskan King Crab or something....but for Mac and Cheese?..this was perfect. When in the deep woods and experiencing all the glories of nature...it's single malt...even with Ramen noodles or dirt. I DO have standards.
    I decided to prime it with it's own fuel, since that's what I'd be doing out thar in the deep woods.
    1304964900-2b_opt.jpg

1304964929-3b_opt.jpg

1304964965-4b_opt.jpg

Now were cookin' with GAS!!!(oline)

1304965025-5b_opt.jpg

1304965037-6b_opt.jpg

1304965047-7b_opt.jpg

Boiling quite nicely and not too hot either. I did have to turn it down a bit, but it certainly wasn't going to boil over with only 2 seconds notice.

1304965166-8b_opt.jpg

And now..the damage is done.
    I found this cookset to work very nicely and it would be perfect for 2 people. It's a little smaller than the Sigg Tourist, but larger than the small Optimus type. I had the Optimus cookset and found it to be pretty cheaply made. I had NO problem parting with it via Ebay. This set is just as nice as a Sigg set and I particuliarly like the leather strap instead of Sigg's plastic version.
    If I do take this on my trip, I'll load pics of it in use in the Action Gallery. I didn't want to put this entry into the Gallery because the "Action" was pretty non-existent.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. cazna

Looks like a nice set, Are they new??

3. mbechtel

Hi Cazna,
    No, they are used. I really don't know when these sets were made, but I'm pretty sure it's been a while. I'm guessing this set came from the 70's

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I don't believe I knew about that set (or maybe I've forgotten); really a nice one.

As for blended Scotch, when all is said and done I prefer it, although I like a single malt if it is really wet, cold, and dreary out.

Essentially all Scotch hereabouts was blended up until whenever it was that the single-malts exploded on the US scene.

Nothing at all wrong with Ballantines. I like Cutty Sark or Johnnie Walker Red best.

5. mbechtel

Hi Ed,
    This set is really pretty nice. It's well made, but not heavy. It was designed for the short version of the Primus 71. I've seen a few over the years, but not very common. I go off into the woods by myself every year, so I'm only cooking for one. The pan size is probably a little large for one person, unless a fellow is very hungry.

I like the Ballantines a great deal. I also like the cost. It's very smooth and light. I haven't tried Cutty Sark yet, but I'll have to give it a shot. I like the more powerful and unique flavors of the single malts from time to time. I just finished a bottle of Clynelish 14yr. old and it was just wonderful. I agree, that in the cold and dreary weather, a nice smoky Islay malt seems just perfect. The lighter, cleaner Highlands are wonderful for summer. This year a nice flask of Glen Garioch is going with me on my outing!

6. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

That is a great little set up. I think one of my all time fave's. Thanks for the great set of pictures.

7. Lance

One day so many snows ago i've forgotten the exact year but i was someplace between 9 and 13 i found a bottle of C.S. kept by my mother for her then current BF. It was an ugly day and i was not so wise as i am now. When she came home from work she found this poor lad sitting on the kitchen floor, the bottle in front of him, with more than half of it gone. (it was near to full when i started). I paid for that bottle three times before i was allowed to sit at the table for dinner or breakfast. Odd but i never did visit the throne of the gods Ralph or Puke. But you can bet i never again strayed to far into a bottle of spirits until i was much older. Can't say i was any wiser however i did pay cash for my next dip into the relem of strong spirits. And that is another story not soon forgotten. Now-a-days when partake of such spirits it is Chevis Regal/Royal Salute if i have my way about me.

Must admit i like some Johnnie Walker black label with Drambuie in equal amounts for after dinner.

lance

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. Ed Winskill

Lance, by "with" I am hoping you do not mean...mixed....

9. nzmike

I'm no scotch connisewer but I can drink guinness til I wax lyrical :thumbup:

If I'm out and about I do the petrol prime thing too, wicking around the valve stem makes them much less prone to accidental spillage while using my usual fuel bailer ie the fuel cap or while burning.

Very cool set! 8)

10. Jacko

Hello,

I may be wrong but I thought that the Primus 71 stove went out of production in the 1960’s. Is it possible that the Edelweiss cook set was still being manufactured for this stove in the 70’s?

Cheers,
    Jacko

11. Lance

Aye lad indeed i do. It's called a Rusty Nail and a fine after dinner drink it is. I admit to liking both alone or mixed but prefer them mixed with an ice cube but nothing else. Try it, you may find it a pleasent way to pass an evening.

lance

12. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

I think the Edelweiss was still made in the 1970's, one of my 'how to backpack' books from that era mentions the set along with the better known Sigg Tourist Kit.

13. Ed Winskill

So that's a Rusty Nail....

14. hikin_jim

Nice set. A friend of mine just sent me his old Edelweiss set. It only has one pot; the other bit the dust. The aluminum on my set is a bit thin. I can bend it with my hands, and just below the rim where the pot grabber "bites" down, the pot is all beat up. Still it's a nice set.

I have a Primus 71 (the more typical tall version). I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping my Primus 71 will fit with the Edelweiss kit.

HJ

15. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

Says Ed Winskill.

I'm very partial to Glenladdich, and Aberlour, but when funds are low or earmarked for a stove, I find Dimple Pinch is quite nice. Not all blends are the same, some are very drinkable.

And if you like your Scotch chilled, I've found some "Scotch Rocks" 1" cubes of soapstone one keeps in the freezer to cool a beverage without diluting it.

Very High Class I'm sure. Although out in the wilds I've used pebbles from the face of glacier.

Gerry

16. OMC

OMC Subscriber

mbechtel,
    thanks for sharing.
    Jacko, "i think" you're right in that you could say "Primus" 71 ended in the 60's... 1962. However there were Primus 71's 62-76, they were made by Optimus sold by an optimus owned company Primus A.B.

I wonder what years post-1937 were the short version of the Primus 71's available? Post 37 seems to me they're rare compared to the tall version. Were they made in limited numbers 37 - 76? i'm doubtful. There are 30's examples, we have a 55 in the gallery and it appears to me, maybe, somewhere 63-72? optimus made them sold by PrimusAB. I wonder?
    Yes, the gallery has a nice example of a '55 with an Edelweiss cook set.
    BTW it's ALSO a nice example of a Primus SRV cap "action shot".
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/21602

Here's example of what looks like short PrimusAB 71.
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/20911
    It's the only example on ccs I'm aware of, there may be others. I've seen another just like it on ebay with a cookset. That cookset said ALU-PLUS but it's an exact copy of your Edelweiss, leads to a probability *ALU-PLUS is a new company name stamped into the same swiss cookset? *still in business. So yes Jacko it's possible a copy of the cookset was made in the 70's.

I'll be trying a rusty nail soon btw. best regards thx

edit THX Gerry !!! OOPS, only after i posted i see it's a 2011 topic, oh well old is good in this forum so cheers!!!

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, OMC,

I have one of those "shorty" Primus 71's, and it was made in 1962. I'll post photos in the Stove Gallery, to show how it looks, and it's date of manufacture. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Just posted a few photos of my "shorty" 71, here: https://classiccampstoves.com/posts/34306

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  18. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Thx Doc, I'm relatively new to Primus 71 ... Op80 / PrimusAB 71 but I'm learnin'.
    Yours is an excellent example and one I'd like to have, if I had to pick 1 yours would be in the running, so yeah, nice stove!
    I said I was doubtful above that they were produced 31-76, I'm a lil less doubtful now.
    What do you think Doc, you think Primus made the shorties every year right thru 31 - 62?
    Same question re short tank version of Optimus's PrimusAB 71 years 1963 - 76?
    best regards

19. idahostoveguy

Here's another topic on the topic of short 71s:

71 vs. 71

sam

20. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Hey Sam good showing! it's great when you're engaged, you have been missed. i wish you all the best going forward.
    SO a topic on topic huh, well in poker terms I'll see our topic on topic and raise you a topic.
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/

Your link adds more samples and details, a good idea, and this one does too.

I'm finding what i can re Primus 71 Op 80 and how they came together. I find bits about the short 71's along the way.
    best regards