1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EEZY-FYRE Australian Army. WW2 Pacific Theatre

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by threedots, Jan 8, 2013.

1. threedots New Zealand

This is a very powerful stove. It boils 1 litre of room temperature water to a full rolling boil in just under 3 minutes. :shock: :)
    It has a very noisy pulsating hissing roar that resonated so loudly that my wife thought that I was working on a strange sounding engine in my garage. The stove was in fact running on our front lawn at the time. Passers by were wondering what that noise was coming from our property. :lol:

It has a heavy solid brass burner and burner plate that takes a lot of preheating to get it hot enough to fire up. Hence the huge preheating fuel dish for a kerosene fueled preheat. Once going, it has to be bought up to full power in stages so that the fuel has a chance to vapourise at full power.
    Once heated up and should it be blown out, the burner will retain it's heat for a longer time (compared to civilian stoves) so that it can be reignited more easily without having to rush so much.

The burner jet is typicly huge for a military burner(about twice the size of a self pricking 123R or a 207 Burner jet). It has an aperture of about 0.38 - about the same as what a blow torch jet is.

These were not made to simmer and would have had to heat food or water very quickly as in a war situation.

1357641219-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_012_opt.jpg

1357641268-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_001_opt.jpg

1357641306-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre.jpg

1357641368-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_013_opt.jpg

1357641413-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_014_opt.jpg

1357641454-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_015_opt.jpg

1357641502-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_023_opt.jpg

1357641581-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_028_opt.jpg

1357641712-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_034_opt.jpg

1357641751-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_029_opt.jpg

1357641807-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_031_opt.jpg

1357641879-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_035_opt.jpg

1357641918-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_036_opt.jpg

1357641981-EEZY_FYRE_-Tank_lable.jpg

1357642002-EEZY_FYRE_-Tank_lable_close_up.jpg

1357642043-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_026_opt.jpg

1357642118-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_037_opt.jpg

1357642166-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_night_time_003_opt.jpg 1357642187-EEZY_FYRE_-_AUSTRALIAN_ARMY_-_WW2_-_Pacific_Theatre_night_time_005_opt.jpg

The steel fuel tank is in very good condition. It appears to have had a galvanic coating inside and out before being painted in Australian army paint.
    A previous owner has removed the old blistering paint in places to remove the surface rust only(luckily). The galvanic coating had done it's job. The inside was like new and the NRV in the pump was not sealing because of crud so it may have been stashed after not much use, needing to be fixed. I would guess that the outside had deteriorated during storage but it would easily be restored without any major work having to be done.
    I am going to leave it as it is.

Cheers, John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

G,,day very interesting, basic but nice. in fun, it should live back in Aus. i will volunteer for this ardous task, i am kind this way. hahahaha
    cheers
    kerry
    :lol: :)

3. theyellowdog New Zealand

Interesting post and stove. I saw one of these a couple of weeks back. It had a standard kero burner on it and a bike valve pump. I assumed it was a tibco, clearly I was wrong.

4. nzmike New Zealand

Hell of a thing! :shock: :thumbup: Loud is always fun :twisted:

5. threedots New Zealand

Cheers everyone.

I was attracted by the burner when I first saw it and that the auction wording for the stove said that it was made in Australia. That suggested that it may have been an Australian made Sievert product.
    The burner design appeared to be from an earlier period - say late 1800's to early 1900's.

Hello Kerry.
    I think that it may be quiet rare as I cannot find any other examples of it on the Internet at this date.
    There are only a couple of references to EEZY-FYRE stoves in adds from old Singapore newspapers advertising this brand of stove in the Australian Army Surplus sales in Singapore, directly after the Second World War.
    The stoves referred to are for both single and double kerosene burner type but I suspect the double burners were 2 single burner stoves bolted together. There were no photographs or sketches to refer to so I do not know what they should look like. There could be other variations out there.
    I am hoping that someone here on CCS may have more information about EEZY-FYRE stoves. I am very interested in their history and whether they were made for the military only.

Dan. You may be able to get the one you saw if you go back and look at the ended auctions section. It may be well be worth it if you do as it could be like hens teeth ;) :) .
    Was it the same as this one and what was the condition like?
    This one had a home made aluminum wind shield made to go around it(like a box) so it may have been the one you saw.

I will have to clean out the burner properly in the future so it may burn even hotter Mike. I had flushed the whole system through after removing the gauze filter(burnt clean) and cleaned up the jet but the burner needs some tarry carbon removed from inside the vapour tube under where the female jet seat is. It wasn't bad enough to remove the burner from it's fuel pipe to do the job. With time or even a little persuasion from a blow torch; that may be enough shift it.
    My camera did come close to heating up with a couple of those shots and the hairs on the back of my fingers have singed back a bit from an invisible blast of flame(in daylight) that was coming up from the bottom of the kettle. Yes, a very hot performer. No flies will be safe flying any less than a meter above it. They will loose their wings if they did. Seen it happen with one of my Campingo's :lol:.

Cheers, John

6. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

thats the biggest lipstick burner Ive seen

7. theyellowdog New Zealand

The one I saw is just down the road, if anyone is interested in it, but it is missing the correct burner and pump, it has no decal sticker either.

8. threedots New Zealand

Hello geeves.
    The burner is different to the lipstick type where the burner bell slips onto the 'lipstick'.
    It is basically like a giant version of a SVEA 123 or Optimus No.8, Primus 71 type burners, but the burner bell and vapouriser are one piece and the stove is designed to burn kerosene only.

It's a shame that the stove you know of Dan is missing it's burner.
    The pump assembly is essentially the same as what you have in say an Optimus/Primus number 5 except for the pump tube cap and the pump knob.

Interestingly the pump NRV has a large round thick disk at the top rather than the more usual capsule shape and it has a slot so a large screw driver can be used to remove and install it. John

9. kerry460

G,,day John , interesting extra info.
    in fun , do you want my address. for postage.
    hahaha.
    cheers mate.
    kerry

10. threedots New Zealand

Hello Kerry.
    Maybe it should be back at it's home in Australia.
    Surely there are others about and may surface again. You never know your luck.

I've had this stove running a few times now and I guess that this stove may have only been used at something like a front line medical station in a secured area. Probably used for getting water boiling quickly.
    Otherwise it's noise would attract enemy attention or deafen the operator and anyone nearby so much they wouldn't be able to hear if the enemy were approaching.

The fuel starts to travel up the burner stem at anything over a 1/2 full tank and carrying it about would cause a few problems as there is no fuel shut off valve. It would have to be kept about half empty and kept reasonably level during transporting or the fuel will leak out of the jet. Otherwise the tank may be emptied first. Too impracticable and too slow.
    It is not a stove that you could pick up and move quickly or kerosene would almost certainly spill out.

Cheers, John

11. kerry460

G,,day John.
    good you have a sense of humour.
    i couldnt live without mine.
    cheers
    kerry

12. fire bug

fire bug United States Subscriber

Nice stove.

One thing about a loud stove, you can always tell when they go out!

13. chopper

:thumbup: Q. to threedots on the wwII eezy_fyre how rare are they,also $ value

14. threedots New Zealand

Hello chopper.
    As for the rarity of this stove I can only guess as I have searched the internet for it and this seems to be the only example in existence (so far).
    Having a steel tank would usually shorten the life of any liquid fuelled stove due to rusting so any that were left over and sold on after the war could have mainly perished and been dumped by now(68 years later).
    With lesser numbers of these stoves in existence; that could determine a greater value I guess but how valuable they are would depend on demand and how much someone would be prepared to pay for one so I don't know what the value could be.

Have you found another one? Regards, John

15. chopper

yes john i do have one unfortunetly the spill tray &air valve are missing ,it has also been repainted & a sloppy resoldering of tank seam,otherwise in good condition.

16. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce Australia Subscriber

Looking at this old thread is very interesting, the stove pictured is exactly the same as mine , so now there are two.
    The running description is the same with the noise of the burner so loud.
    Now I know what it is, and that it was made for the army.

Cheers
    Rob