Eezy-Fyre / Lanray History

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Sedgman, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

This article provides reasonable evidence that Lanray manufactured Eezy-Fyre two burner stoves.

On 1st December 2014 in CCS here I wrote a short history about Lanray here. A lot has been learnt since with some initial contributions by @Tony Press and @Matty and myself.

More recently, whilst researching Eezy-Fyre stoves I made an astonishing discovery, that the evidence shows that they were produced by Lanray Metal Manufacturing Pty Ltd in Sydney.

This explains the seeming lack of two burner stoves from Lanray, since it has unfolded they made heaps but were sold under the 'Eezy-Fyre’ brand.

In the following articles which in themselves are interesting please note the inventor of the Eezy-Fyre burner was Eric Vidor and that Eezy-Fyre stoves were marketed as 'Cookers' not stoves.

1940 Jewish.jpg

1940 Lanray in Sydney.jpg

This last clipping is interesting too because Lanray already had 70 employees and as we can see they made key blanks early on so perhaps Lanray Metal Manufacturing Pty Ltd was the initial company and the blowlamps and stoves were made by the new company of Lanray Metal Products Pty Ltd, later becoming a subsidiary of Lanray Industries Ltd as far as I can tell.

These Eezy-Fyre stoves probably started as war year stoves for the military and were later sold to the general public. In a CCS post on 9th January 2013 in a letter by @threedots to @kerry460 (RIP), John mentioned:

Singapore.jpg

I previously published a few notes in CCS in April 2019 and I include these here for completeness.

This is an Eezy-Fyre ‘single burner cooker’. These were Australian made around the period 1941 through to about1950-51, and sold to the public from at least Mar 1943 to March 1952). The burner though, which is unusual for Australian made stoves, was patented on 28 March 1940 (Patent 112,767). This patent was applied for by the inventor, Eric Vidor, a merchant from St Kilda, Victoria and the patent was described as, “ Improved self-generating high pressure liquid fuel burner”. The patent was published in April 1941.

0690.jpg
    Eezy-Fyre Double Burner (Early Type)

My other Eezy-Fyre is the double burner stove with the ‘boating’ tray, to stop pans sliding off, which is standard for that model. The burner on that stove has the standard logoed burner plates, (as do other single burner Eezy-Fyre stoves in the gallery). However, this stove has an atypical plain burner cap, without the Ezy Fyre (sic) logo cast into it, though the burner itself is the standard distinctive Eezy-Fyre unit.

See here for photos: Eezy-Fyre Single Burner

In the 1940 articles about the Vidor brothers starting up and the connection with the Eezy-Fyre burner being invented by Eric Vidor and the way they are marketed as ‘Cookers’ not stoves which is an unusual word also mentioned in these articles in 1940 as being made in Sydney I consider that it is the evidence we need for establishing where Eezy-Fyre stoves were made. Especially since to date, Eeezy-Fyre has not been found to be a company or business. Here is some updated research that I have done.

In 1936 an obituary shows that a Viennese Professor Dr Armin Vajda-Vidor, had two sons; Eric in 1899 and Hans (ref: Australian Jewish Herald 19th Nov 1936). Eric and Hans emigrated to Australia about 1927 (ref: The Argus, 27 Feb 1939). Hans seems to have settled in NSW around Sydney and Eric in St Kilda, Victoria. Both were industrious and well known in the Jewish community. Eric held degrees in Law and Commerce (ref: The Argus, 27 Feb 1939) back in Vienna and he filed for a patent in March 1940 for the very clever Eezy-Fyre burner. See here.

Our story begins before then though, so we will start in 1937 when a company named Lance Raymond (Victoria) Pty Ltd was established with a capital of £10,000 in one pound shares. The company were agents, importers and warehousemen. I would surmise that some of what they imported were Swedish blowlamps and stoves. The directors included Hans V. Vidor and Walter William David Sykes. (ref: The Herald, 16 Dec 1937) They were later the sole distributors of Lanray products.

An interesting aside is that Walter Sykes, was a well-known Melbourne solicitor, who undertook an extensive visit to New York in 1945 where he made a ‘close examination’ of the new anti-defamation laws making it illegal to discriminate when hiring employees on racial or religious grounds (ref: The Sydney Jewish News, 8th June 1945). In that article they refer to him as a director of Lance Raymond Pty Ltd.

In November 1938 a company named Conti-Glo Ltd was also formed with a capital of £100,000 in one pound shares, to obtain the rights from a private company Conti-Glo Pty Ltd, to a process making signs and posters and the like luminous. (ref: The Argus 25th Nov 1938) Eric Vidor was appointed as managing director of the public company in February 1939 (ref: The Argus, 27th Feb 1939)

Research @Matty did shows that in July 1940 Lanray Metal Products Pty Ltd was formed with £2500 in capital. (ref: 0).

I would add that the Eezy-Fyre products stated to be made by Lanray Metal Manufacturing Pty Ltd may well have been simply Lanray Metal Products Pty Ltd or become that company. The chopping and changing of names and 'Pty Ltd' and 'Ltd', being private and public names seems to have errors at times.

In The World News (Sydney) on 2 August 1941 the following news shows the stoves were not yet being made.

Burner only.jpg

In December 1941 Lanray stoves were advertised for the public in the Riverina Herald of 24 December 1941) See below.
    Lanray 1941.jpg

In 1943 permits were still required to obtain stoves in Australia.

The Farmer and Settler (Sydney) 3 Dec 1943,.jpg
    Note in the above ad permits were required.

In 1946 it was noted in export manifests that Lance Raymond Pty Ltd exported 3 cases of blowlamps to India. (ref: Daily Commercial News and Shipping List (Sydney, NSW : 1891 - 1954), Tuesday 27 August 1946, page 2). This was not an isolated event but I have included it here to show the diverse places they dealt with.

In 1947 Lanray Industries Ltd was formed and this public company had three subsidiaries:

- Lanray Metal Products Pty Ltd

- Sunshine Weaving Mills Pty Ltd

- Plastic Coatings Pty Ltd

In 1947 the Australian Postwar Reconstruction Minister Dedman announced new factories at the old Villawood wartime explosives factory grounds in outer Sydney. One of these was one for Lance Raymond Pty Ltd for producing plasticised textiles. (ref: Sunday Telegraph, 19th Oct 1947)

In 1949 Lanray Industries Ltd also made pressure cookers that were popular and one existed in my parent’s home for many years.

Lanray Pressure Cooker.jpg
    (Ref: Australian Women’s Weekly 28 May 1949)

In May 1951 the books for Lanray Industries Ltd were closed for 4 days, possibly a sign of things to come. (ref: Sydney Morning Herald 20 April 1951)

Stoves Manufactured by Lanray

Lanray No 1 (also with silent burners; model 5 ??)
    Lanray No 4
    Lanray No 8 (collapsible for travel)

Eezy-Fyre (single burner steel Companion/Svea like frame)
    Eezy-Fyre (double burner steel Companion/Svea like frame)
    Eezy-Fyre (single burner late 1940s style frame with holes)
    Eezy-Fyre (double burner late 1940s style frame with holes)

0702.jpg
    An Eezy-Fyre single burner (Early style)

20210503_144656.jpg
    The very uncommon later style Eezy-Fyre stove in my collection.

Lanray 'Primus' type stoves
    The Lanray ‘Primus like' 2 pint stoves were made in Australia by Lanray Metal Products Pty Ltd, later a subsidiary of Lanray Industries Pty Ltd. They came with either a roarer or silent burner. The roarer burners were clearly marked ‘Lanray’ and ‘Made in Australia’. The start date for silent burners is unknown but they and the ‘noisy’ burners were both advertised on a regular basis during the stove’s production run. In Jan 1949 a stove with either type of burner was advertised ‘on special’ for 35/- with a normal price of 40/3. (ref: 1) Lanray Industries Pty Ltd made a variety of products over many years until they were delisted (ref: 2) from the Australian Stock Exchange on 1 Sep 1971. The Lanray stoves were first manufactured a little after August 1941. Prior to this date, and for a short period, presumably, the burner alone was available for 6s 11d. (ref: 3)

The company was also well known also for a large pressure cooker and blowlamps. The Lanray products were solely distributed through Lance Raymond Pty Ltd of Sydney and Melbourne. This was certainly the case in June 1948. (ref: 4) The stoves were extensively advertised from 1941 through to 1949 and in 1950 a few ads usually at a ‘Special’ price appear, suggesting perhaps that the stove production had ended and some old stock was being disposed of. The company shares were closed for two days from 4th May 1951 so something appears to have befallen the company. (ref: 5)

A common 2 pint stove I have illustrated in the Gallery has a fount made of steel and is coloured dark olive green. The pump tube, burner and filler cap are of brass construction. The stove has a common traditional trivet clearly marked Lanray. Presumably wartime stoves were often made of steel but brass stoves were available at times. Certainly a 1943 advertisement mentioned, “Portable kerosene stoves, brass finished, are obtainable…”. (ref: 6)
    0610.jpg
    Lanray No 1 (Photo: Sedgman)

Specifications Lanray No 1

· Filler Cap washer 24mm OD and no hole.

· Pump tube 19mm OD

· Pump Cup washer 16.5 to 17mm with a 9.4mm hole

· Pump Rod diameter 6.6mm

· Pump Knob thread ¼" BSF

· Cup washer nut thread 5/32" Whit (32TPI)

Sources: The WWW and Newspapers courtesy ‘Trove’ National Library of Australia

0. Lanray Stoves (Australia) History

1. The Broadcaster (Fairfield, NSW : 1935 - 1970), Wednesday 26 January 1949, page 1

2. http://www.delisted.com.au/company/lanray-industries-limited extracted 26 May 2015

3. The World's News (Sydney, NSW : 1901 - 1955), Saturday 2 August 1941, page 31

4. The Hebrew Standard of Australasia (Sydney, 1895 - 1953), Thursday 10 June 1948, page 9

5. Sydney Morning Herald 20 April 1951

6. The Farmer and Settler (Sydney Paper), Friday 3 Dec 1943

1948 Conti-Glo Liqidation.jpg

1950 Bankruptcy.jpg

1950 Court Dispute.jpg

1953 Lance Raymond Pty Ltd wound up.jpg

I hope others might agree that it seems the brothers Vidor worked together and that the highly probable manufacturer of EEzy-Fyre stoves was Lanray.

Perhaps the Eezy-Fyre stoves listed in 'Other' can now be moved to Lanray as the manufacturer.

Yours in stove collecting,

Iain

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  3. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

Wow! Impressive research and documentation.

….Arch

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Great post.

5. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

It is funny how when reading what you have published you think of a few other things. So I am adding a bit more.

Eric Vidor patented the Eezy-Fyre burner and he and his brother Hans were the force behind Lanray producing Australian blowlamps and stoves as per the 1940 articles earlier in this post. The articles refer to kerosene cookers being produced in Sydney by Lanray where Hans was managing director. Eezy-Fyre stoves were advertised as ‘pressure cookers’ and they have the unusual burner patented by Eric Vidor.

Tony Press has previously posted the burner here.

For ease of reading I enclose an enlargement of a small part of the detail from the patent @Tony Press posted.

Burner.jpg

The patent is referred to in my copy of the instructions for the two 'Early style' stove models.

eezy-fyre Iain's Copy.jpg

The box label from the 'Later Style' Single burner stove also mentions the patent.

Eezy-Fyre Label.jpg
    Box label ' Later Style' with patent number.

19490601 Eezy-Fyre with holes.jpg
    1949 Ad for the 'Pressure Cooker' Eezy-Fyre 'Later Style' stoves.

19450628 Eezy-Fyre Two Models.jpg
    1945 ad showing that the 'Early Type' Double burner stove had a RAIL for boating use.

Timeline

1937 Lance Raymond (Victoria) Pty Ltd (Created with H Vidor and Sykes as directors)

1938 Conti-Glo Pty Ltd formed.

1939 Conti-Glo Pty Ltd – Eric Vidor appointed as general manager

1940 Article states Eric Vidor of Conti-Glo having idea of producing Australian blowlamps

1940 Article refers to Lanray Metal Manufacturing Pty Ltd

1941 Lanray Nbr 5 stove announced as New in December

1948 Lance Raymond Pty Ltd (Distributors of Lanray)

1949 Lanray Industries Ltd (ads in May 1949 show this name for pressure cookers)

1950 Lanray Industries Ltd vs Lance Raymond Pty Ltd - (August) In Chambers Court Case ***

1950 Lanray Industries Ltd vs Lance Raymond Pty Ltd - (October) In chambers case

1950 Lance Raymond (Vic.) Pty Ltd - Company existed then, not sure what it did, held Neon shares

1951 Lanray Industries Ltd (Books closed for a few days in May)

1953 Lance Raymond Pty Ltd (wound up in May as too many liabilities) Took until Oct 1959

2021 Lanray Pty Ltd (ACN: 128 384 476) - currently registered since 2007

The following three ads show that from around 1950 onwards the stoves were in limited numbers and possibly just being cleared out. I have little doubt that the stoves were never made in the sixties or later and that I am very dubious any were made after about 1950/51.

19500623 Eezy-Fyre ex Disposals.jpg

19510303 Eeezy-Fyre One Only.jpg

19520331 Eezy-Fyre Latest Ad.jpg

Thanks too for the generous remarks earlier, @Tony Press @Ed Winskill @ArchMc

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Excellent!

Tony

7. Stokemup Australia

@Sedgman Fascinating read and great research. Trove is a real gem.

Makes you wonder if any of the public institutions such as museums have this sort of knowledge or items in their collections.

Thanks & Rgds
    Graham