Egypt - Star Extra 4pt 1958-71

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by Sedgman, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

1.jpg

Introduction

This large, OK very large, four-pint Primus styled stove has a larger than standard, roarer burner with a 50mm flame ring support. Some say the burner on larger stoves is the same as on standard models but this is not the case here.

I have had the stove for five years but it required a very challenging fettle. The stove is clearly identified as being ‘Made in Egypt’. The roarer burner is identified as being from the United Arab Republic (UAR) which was a union between Egypt and Syria from 1958 through to 1971; thus the stove’s manufacture falls into this period.

4.jpg

The stove is marked in traditional embedded large letters as the ‘Star ‑ Extra’ and with Arabic writing on the fount, top and bottom, as well as on the burner. The filler cap has the word EGYPT in raised letters on both sides. The air screw is unmarked on both sides.

3.jpg

2.jpg

Specifications

· Height = 275 mm

· Fount = 190 mm (W) and 205 mm at the wider ‘bead’. 75mm (H) approx.

· Flame spreader support ring = 53 mm (ID)

· Flame spreader (D) = 52 mm

· Filler cap cork washer = 23 mm (D) and about 1 mm thick

· Pump tube = 17 mm (D)

· Capacity = 4 pints (imp)

· NRV (L) = 1.158”

· NRV (D) = 0.438”

· NRV Tube (D) = 0.247”

· NRV Thread (D) = 0.302” (7.65 mm)

o Note: The NRVs I purchased, had threads that seemed larger, 0.311” or 7.90 mm

· NRV Removal fitting (W) = 0.200” (5.08 mm)

· NRV Removal fitting (L) = 0.280”

· Pip (D) = 4 mm

· Burner (H) = abt 72 mm

· Leg (D) = 0.335”

Issues

I had issues with the check valve and its ability to seal. I was contemplating fitting another pump into the existing pump tube which is lengthy. A similar problem, was resolved similarly for another Star Extra four-pint stove listed in the Gallery by @Brass monkey.

Unusual BIG Egyption stove - Star Extra

Another issue was a leak internally which meant no fuel would come up the feeder pipe so I created a new feeder pipe and the stove now runs fine.

Lighting the Stove

Pre-heat very well and pump like crazy. I suppose because of the volume of air, basic science.

5.jpg

For fun it now sits on a Lazy Susan.

6.jpg

Iain

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Excellent, Iain!

Thank you.

Tony

3. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

A good write up on an unusual stove, Iain. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

4. Stover25

Stover25 United States Subscriber

Any idea on a source for pump leathers for this beast? I just snagged one and it is in need of a pump leather. I thought I had something that would work, but alas, not the case. Any suggestions would be appreciated. As a new collector I have not learned the sources just yet.

Stover25