Elsie and Reg's 'honeymoon' Svea 106 Sport

Discussion in 'Svea No:106' started by presscall, Nov 18, 2016.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

The seller told me that her great-grandparents had owned the stove, but she'd ask her Mum if she knew anything more about it and a couple of weeks later I got an email.
    Viton seals for filler cap and non-return valve 'pip' to replace the cork originals, a new lead washer for the burner to tank boss seal, new pump cup washer and the Svea was ready to shrug off it's long hibernation.

IMG_3416.JPG

Missing the windshield, spirit can and spanner, but not far short of when Elsie and Reg pitched tent at Rockley Sands in 1935.

IMG_3428.JPG

IMG_3417.JPG

IMG_3418.JPG

IMG_3419.JPG

Renowned elegance and quality of execution of Svea engraving.

IMG_3420.JPG

IMG_3421.JPG

IMG_3422.JPG

Pump knob extension serves as the transport cap.

IMG_3424.JPG IMG_3426.JPG IMG_3427.JPG

Lively performance, a new jet would blue up the flames.

IMG_3429.JPG IMG_3433.JPG IMG_3434.JPG

My respects to Charlotte and family and RIP Elsie and Reg. I'm glad to have become the custodian of a stove that served them well in happy times.

John

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Very beautiful box. Thank you John.

3. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Sweden Subscriber

Yet another terrific write-up John. Shame about the wrench - I'll keep my eyes peeled for one.

4. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

A nice bit of history to have on an elegant stove.

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Great stuff, John.

That box is just the bee's knees!

Cheers

Tony

6. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce SotM Winner Subscriber

A stove or anything antique with history is a real gem, write down the history and keep it with the stove. You should be proud of it, well done.

Cheers
    Rob

7. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

G,,day .
    lovely stove ,
    but even more to know the history .
    good stuff .

kerry

8. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi John, a wonderful stove outfit, enhanced with the family's history now attached to it.

I quess the newly-weds, Elsie and Reg, might have bought the Svea outfit new (a significant investment for a newly-married couple at that particular time, 1935,) It would be good if this could be confirmed as it gives us a date on the timeline for the Svea 106 Sport.

I have one of these stylish outfits and I noted that my stove has steel, rather than brass feet. Your stove looks to be the same. Can you please confirm this?

I much enjoyed your post.
    Best Regards,
    George.

9. cmb56

cmb56 Sweden Subscriber

I like the box. This is the first time I see such a box for a stove.
    My guess is that it is a Unica-box made out of Vulkanfiber.
    These boxes was very common in Sweden from late 19 century to the 60's.

Michael

10. janders

janders Subscriber

Just a thought:
    All but one of the 106's in the reference gallery has brass tanks :-k

11. presscall

Thanks All.

@kerophile
    Truth is George, I didn't want to risk drifting into being interpreted as pestering in my correspondence with the seller and left it at that, glad of getting that little gem of information.

If not brand new to Elsie and Reg the Svea must have been very nearly new in that year and you're right, the cost either way would have been a sizeable chunk of most people's income then.

What a versatile stove for camping or household for a couple about to 'set up home' though! Nearly two pint fuel capacity, hours' long burn times at a simmer setting, powerful burner when required, stable platform for large pots thanks to those robust splayed feet and sturdy pot rests.

Well spotted George, the feet are polished steel as on your Sport, which I noticed from my perusal of the 106's featured in the Stove Ref Gallery sets it apart from the usual brass-footed examples.

All the best to you,

John

12. presscall

@janders
    I've looked intently at those photos and I'm not so sure it's nickel finished, though I agree it looks it. I think I detect a look of brass here and there, which could be the underlying brass worn through I'll grant.
    @Christer Carlsson could confirm.

13. kerophile

14. presscall

Thanks for reminding me of that one George. It's a beaut. Those early regulating keys are stupendous. I recall someone made one for you for one of your stoves with that burner?

John

15. kerophile

Hi John, @presscall You have a good memory:
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/serpentine-regulator-key.31357/

Another observation:

These Svea 105/106 stove outfits, which I think probably date from the 1930s, have fuel fillers flush-mounted on the tanks. Later models of these stoves have the filller mounted on a "sunken" or recessed section of the tank. This feature is to ensure that tank overfilling should not occur.

Best Regards,
    George.

16. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

My 106 is nickelplated.
    It's pretty thin, and the brass is shining through at some places.
    I wonder if not some of the other 106's in here actually has been nickel plated too, but worn off. Or even deliberately removed to tidy up the stove a bit once the plating has been worn and ugly.
    If so, it might be that those stoves that have legs out of steel (like mine) originally were plated, but those which have brass legs were only brass from the start.
    Mind you! It's just a vague theory.

17. janders

janders Subscriber

Sounds very plausible.

18. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

John how did you polish this stove? I know its not easy to polish without losing the color of the aged engraved lettering and keep that contrast.Too many stoves lose that when citric bathed then polished.
    Also I like how you don't take off all the age spots. I have noticed this on the Svea 40 you polished and so kindly traded with me.

19. presscall

@Doug L
    The finish of the Svea is pretty much as it came to me Doug, without a developed patina. I simply took a soft rag with the slightest smear of Solvol Autosol car chrome polish on it to take off a slight tarnish but didn't rub away at it.

The Svea 40 had a lovely brown/gold patina if I remember (I could check, it's in the Stove Ref Gallery) and I just went over it lightly with a car wax polish and a soft cloth to bring up a gleam.

That's my personal preference but each to their own, although a former CCS member's technique of boiling stove tanks and components in vats of citric acid solution, followed by drying and polishing until they dazzled was not a method I would endorse, preferring only onions to be pickled.

The Svea I have has never been nickel plated. There's not the slightest residue of plating in any crevice and it's not been subjected to the degree of mechanical abrasion or chemical treatment that could have stripped the plating. Besides, Elsie and Reg appear to have taken good care of their stove and I doubt that nickel plated or not it required tidying up in their ownership.

John

20. kerophile

Hi @Christer Carlsson . I too am sure that my Sv. 106 sport was never electro plated. On a practical point, I can see no reason why a brass stove intended for plating would benefit from having steel, rather than the more common brass feet. It is invariably easier to nickel-plate onto brass than onto steel, and plating onto a single type of metal can be achieved much more easily than onto dissimilar couples, such as brass and steel.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.