Enders 312 troubles

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Justinburnett, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Justinburnett United States

I tried searching but was only coming up with questions about the pump.

bought this stove on eBay. It’s my first kerosene stove and intended to be my main source of cooking in my boat.

Selkirk had stated that it was functional, and I suppose it is, to a point. Very difficult to get anything close to a proper flame. Very orange, kind of Smokey, hard to keep lit. It seems very rich but not entirely sure. There’s no adjustment for air flow like on my old mariner alcohol stove.

I’m not having any luck finding parts. Did order a jet and needle that may or not fit. Said it was for an optimus but it looked about right....

Does anyone have a lot of knowledge about these stoves?

thank you so much!

2. Justinburnett United States

Oh, and here is the flame I AM getting.

Attached Files:

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I haven’t encountered that model of Enders but equipped as it is with two silent burners, quicklighter priming torches and it’s fuelled by kerosene I’d guess it’s got a lot in common with an Optimus 155. It might give you a bit of a head start if you take a look at my post HERE on getting one of those working.

7E8D57D8-1F04-4338-907F-FBEAC45B3ED6.jpeg

97672047-9DE8-4296-9C83-569EE19EE594.jpeg

As you say, your burners are over-fuelling. Could be enlarged jets, but before you attempt replacement, check whether they’re screwed into the burner tight enough. On the Optimus regulated burners that can happen and the symptoms are as you’ve pictured.

John

4. Justinburnett United States

Thank you so much for pointing me in a direction.
    I did tighten the jets down snug, as I was adjusting the needles a couple times. No change in the fuel mix

I do notice you have different burners though. The kind I would expect on a kerosene stove. Mine have a solid body and this is what got me wondering if they were even the right burners.

I’ll take a look at what you sent. Thank you again!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  5. Justinburnett United States

These are what I have 0E75DF3E-E7A1-4FCA-9C78-37A303A3A3B7.jpeg

6. presscall

True, but on the 312 they’re for kerosene nevertheless, though resembling the 310’s alcohol burners, with a jet change.

Your stove is also known as an Enders Neptune and the pre-heaters are fuelled by butane - filler central at the back of the stove. Instructions say that if you don’t use the butane pre-heaters, alcohol can be used to prime the burners - “in the well below the burner”.

Instruction sheet

Schematic

6E455C0B-7079-4367-BB1C-C29911EAD85D.jpeg

Burner section

F7F1737F-1DAF-4034-B940-5A8885E2D445.jpeg

Operating instructions

699652CB-DF73-4CC4-B0B3-856EDDCCDD6C.jpeg

Parts list

6B20BC84-8253-4B95-A959-7556A086DD98.jpeg

(Courtesy CCS member @Russenjesus)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  7. Justinburnett United States

Well it appears I have all the correct parts, at least
    Starting to think maybe my jets are just oversized or something

8. presscall

@Justinburnett You know it might respond to more priming. Stoves I have vary in their requirements. With those burners being a solid slug of metal rather than the tubular design of the Optimus’s I’d expect them to be a bit sluggish in getting up to vapourising temperature.

Other possibility is that a previous owner has converted the stove to use alcohol fuel by installing appropriate jets. Those would have a larger jet orifice than their kero equivalent, with the effect you’ve described and pictured.

9. Justinburnett United States

0E2143E2-7DBE-4A09-8303-E8CD5B4296BA.jpeg I ran some alcohol through it and it didn’t burn well either, but it may have cleaned something a bit because the right burner is now working darned near perfectly
    A delight, as I’m without any other method of cooking at this time .

10. presscall

@Justinburnett Excellent! Perfect combustion. The alcohol must have acted as a solvent on deposits hindering proper fuelling. Bit more work on the left burner and there’s a good chance that’ll run correctly too.

Matter of interest, how are you priming the burners? Alcohol presumably, but I wonder if those butane pre-heaters could be made to work.

11. Justinburnett United States

I started with alcohol, but was able to find a butane cylinder. they work perfectly! 10-15 seconds and she’s ready to go
    The more I use this the more I love it. Looking forward to getting the left side cleaned when I have some downtime

12. presscall

An achievement to have the butane pre-heaters working. A clever feature, since unlike kerosene atomising pre-heaters the butane ones are unlikely to clog.
    10-15 seconds pre-heat seems minimal, given the instructions specify a minute-and-a-half.

13. janders

janders Subscriber

If the left preheater is working - do not touch it or any of the parts that make it up - speaking from experience...
    You might want to remove the left burner first, clean all the parts inside and out - especially inner and outer cap if they are "dirty/rusty" - before doing any more dismantling.