Enders 9060 D Problem

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by kerophile, May 14, 2008.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

I am working on an Enders 9060 petrol stove at the moment and have a problem.

I have fettled the stove. The pump works well, the controls operate as intended, the tank and pump seals have been renewed. There are no leaks from joints, packing, or caps. The cleaning needle operates properly.

But.....When I prime and start the stove I get lots of yellow flame and some smoke. It looks like a very rich mixture, and too much fuel getting through. The control knob works and will shut off the flame but there is smoke and yellow flame over the full range of settings.

I have studied the earlier posts on CCS Forum and none of the suggestions contained in them really helps me.

I have made sure that the burner is very hot by good priming before I ignite it.

I checked the burner caps are all present and correct.

I removed and cleaned the jet. I looked at it under a magnifying eye-piece and it seems OK. I checked it with a pricker for a No.96 stove and I would guess the aperture is about 0.23mm diameter.

I emptied out the fuel and checked the wick. It is white, flexible and well located in the feed pipe from the tank.

I don't know what to do next. I have no spare jet for the stove or I would try that.

I would appreciate sensible suggestions.......

But not that I should stick with kerosene stoves!

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. the priest

Kerophile,

My Enders was my first and had the same problem. I did about everything you said you have done (maintanence) with the same result. Mine did clog continually for the first ten minutes,.....and burned yellow the entire time. Even after the clogging ceased it took a good while before a good blue flame emerged.

If you haven't already,......just let it run for a good long while. Sounds pretty elementary I agree but it worked in my case. It now burns blue after a preheat with no yellow. I have no idea what happened internally but something obviously did as it now works fine.

Hopefully it's that simple for yours.

3. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

40 + years of Petrol residue would be my guess, try a capful of carburator cleaner in several tanks of fuel.
    I guess I was very lucky, all I had to do was replace the pump tube seal and oil the leather on mine.
    As the Brits are wont to say, Cracking Stove !!!
    Say what you will, the Germans do build good stoves !

4. hobowonkanobe

and coffee grinders, and cars......

5. alnl1996

I think you've covered all the bases regarding this stove and i agree with what priest said run it for a long time and run it hard.
    It'll eventually burn blue. :D
    Are you priming with meths? I find this stove burns best when the priming cup is completly full with meths,takes a couple minutes but then i get a beutiful blue flame.

Take care

6. brassnipplekey

George (Kerophile) .
    Mine .. Enders 9060 ... NOT 9060D .. Guessing the D designates built in cleaning needle .
    My jet diameter 0.32 mm .. producing hot/noisy/clean blue flame .

PICT3138.jpg
    Would guess, if all seals tight , keep it running and see if it improves

PICT3134.jpg

PICT3123.jpg

Nick

7. kerophile

Hi Nick, and Others, I thought I would post some photos of my "problem" Enders 9060D so that you see what stove I am talking about:

DSCN0073_edited-2.jpg
    This is the closed case.

DSCN0072_edited-2.jpg

Open the case and you see the folded stove.

DSCN0069_edited-5.jpg

"Open up" the stove to its operating position.

DSCN0071.jpg

Here you can see air pump, the operating lever for the cleaning needle, and the regulator knob for burner control.

DSCN0067_edited-6.jpg
    This is the outer cap of the silent burner which is fitted to this stove

DSCN0068_edited-5.jpg

And finally the underside of the silent burner.

It has been suggested that a long burn might help improve the flame pattern. So this afternoon I let it burn for about 20 mins with no visible improvement to the flame pattern. I then took off the silent burner caps, added a burner plate from an Optimus 96 burner, and tried running the burner as a roarer...It worked but I was still getting far too much yellow flame and soot. I have a lot of experience with Kerosene stoves and I reckon the jet, despite my earlier measurements, is just passing too much fuel to the burner.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

8. the priest

I was just thinking,..................when mine had the monster yellow flames and no blue,...........it wouldn't turn off immediately. It now does without any further work or cleaning. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. :idea:

Come to think of it,..........when my cleaning needle/shaft were stuck I removed the cleaning needle and sprayed WD-40 directly into it's seat. Maybe some carb cleaner in this area would be a benefit.

9. hobowonkanobe

Nah, I think the D designation is the silent, don't know for certain, but it seems to be the one big diff.

10. the priest

how about the civilian model ;)

11. hobowonkanobe

yea, that cld be too, the other one I got inbound is a 9061, military model. anyone more experieinced w/ these care to chime in? We're just guessin here. ;)

12. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Turn the inner cap over, George.

13. kerophile

Hi Steve.

You are the Man!

I read your email "TURN THE INNER CAP" and immediately dashed out to the garage/workshop.

I looked at the caps, which had been assembled like the earlier photo since I received this stove from Germany about 4 years ago.

It is only very recently that I started working on the stove, after reading the Enders Posts from US members of CCS.

I prised the caps apart, refitted them as suggested by Steve, and fired up the Enders once more:

DSCN0067_edited-7.jpg

What an incredible difference!!!!

] DSCN0071_edited-3.jpg

DSCN0069.jpg

We then tried the Tea Test...which was easily passed:

DSCN0076.jpg

The stove is also very controllable; here is the flame reduced a bit:

DSCN0072_edited-3.jpg

Thank you all very much for your suggestions.
    I feel a bit of a fool....I do use inner caps the right way around on Paraffin stoves...it was just that I never though to question the caps on the Enders!

If it had not been for CCS, I doubt I would ever have solved this problem.

Thanks again,
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

14. hobowonkanobe

OK, so mine are already facing the same way, what's up w/ the flame thrower mode? Clean jet, domes are both facing "upward" but, I get dirty yellow burn, then it pops and I can see what looks like a "strand" of gas coming around the edge of the burner and starts doing an underburn.

15. hobowonkanobe

DOH! Now I see, crap, I'll get back to you guys if and when mine starts running propper.

16. the priest

so,.............i see that my bottom cap came to me the 'wrong' way,......and I flip it. Should be better the 'right' way right? Now I have the top cap in facing properly,.....the bottom cap facing the other and i'm all yellow. :cry: I was all blue.

so top cap convex bottom cap convex,......nice pretty blue flames top cap convex, bottom cap concave,........yellow smoke stack.

9061 burner should be the same internal format right?????

(the guy that should have left well enough alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

17. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

No problem, George, glad to help. ;)
    I kept looking at your picture of the burner, thinking somethings wrong... then finally :idea:
    Ran out to the garage and dug out my Bundeswehr stove to check.Aha ! #-o

18. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

So George, on your Enders, what is the spanner with the bent tips for ?
    I have the 'Multi-tool', but haven't seen the other before !

19. jlgatton

I don't have any of the Enders yet but they are on my list. After seeing yours in action, it just went to the top of my list.

I would never have figured it out, the forum members are all first class.

I know you must be all :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jerry

20. alnl1996

Hey hobowonkanobe
    It's very important to have a nice tight "fit" between the upper and lower burner caps,by that i mean lower the assembled burner caps onto the burner and try to turn it at least a third of a turn clockwise (or counter clockwise) so its on there nice and tight .
    If its stuck and won't turn on you can use some oil on it it'll burn off anyway.
    If the two caps arn't on tight the stove will pop and underburn...and believe me you'll know when this stove underburns...What's German for ''Shut me the f#%k off NOW!" :D

Take care