enders 9060 stove pressure leak

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ruggiers, Mar 29, 2016.

1. ruggiers

I am a new member. My experience with stoves have been mostly with Colemans, Sveas, and Primus. Now i have come across an Enders, and am trying to understand how it works. I have read thru many threads and have been able to get my Enders stove going with a strong flame. Thanks for all the great pictures and valuable information.
    My new problem is that the flame dies slowly down to a simmer after about 3-5 minutes. Then i pump it up again and it burns great for a minute or so. Then the process repeats again.
    Any thoughts on where i can look for the cause?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2016
  2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

You are likely losing air pressure from the tank. Test this by pressurising the tank but not opening the regulator valve.
    Spread some soap solution around the filling cap and look for bubbles. If you have a leak from the cap, fit a new viton or good quality nitrile rubber seal on the filler cap. If you have a leak from anywhere else, using the soap solution test, tell us about it and we will suggest your next action.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. Afterburner

Welcome to the forum! You have a good collection of stoves!

Other places for leak could be pump to tank gasket(is pump removable, it looks like that?), NRV pip on pump or tank to feed tube joint. Easy way is to find leak point is to do "u-boat test": Close regulator valve, pump pressure to the tank and submerge 'whole thing' into water.

4. kerophile

5. alnl1996

What they said^
    Although these German stoves are not quite as simple to work on as others, they are my favourite.
    With new seals these things can run for decades with no issues.

6. ruggiers

Thanks for the feedback. I got a bunch of bubbles from around the pump nut. I took off the nut, and on the brass tube, I replaced the o-ring I had on it, with a flat rubber washer. After resealing, I have only a tiny bubble pop up every 5 seconds or so from the pump piston where it enters the pump nut. However the quick test I did last night seemed to hold a high flame for about 10 minutes. then I shut it down as I had no more time. I also notice a gurgling sound when I pump. I don't know if that's normal as in the coleman stoves I'm pretty sure the air enters above the fuel.

7. kerophile

Hi @ruggiers , the pump tube is often installed incorrectly on these Enders Stoves. The O-ring goes on the thin wall brass pump tube, not inside the pump cap.
    Once properly assembled the pump tube seals on the tank as the pump cap is tightened down.
    The correct assembly can be seen in a photo.in the link I posted above ( Enders pump service pack).

From your desription you seem to have the correct pump set-up.

The pump tube is immersed in the fuel in these Enders stoves. This seems to be the favoured approach in European stoves. Your diagnosis of the gurgling sound is probably correct.

Of course some of our more adventurous CCS members manage to induce gurgling noises from their fuel tanks by boiling the fuel, but that is somewhat rare.

Give your stove a longer run when you time and then let us know how it performed. Pictures would be a bonus!

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

8. ruggiers

ok. I have the washer installed correctly. I went to do another test. I removed the gas filler cap and put it back on again. Then I pumped it up, and on the initial strokes, it was extremely difficult to push in. I moved it in and out slowly, and was able to get whatever liquid that seemed to have filled up the tube to exit. however I only got a few pumps in and it seemed to have a lot of pressure. I started to prime it, and then I noticed gas was just streaming out on the tank side. I immediately extinquished the primer flame. Now I believe it is pouring out of the piston opening. Imust have ruptured something

9. kerophile

Hi, It sounds as if the Non Return Valve (NRV) has failed and that is allowing pressurised fuel to escape into the pump tube.
    You need to examine the NRV, found at he base of the pump-tube and likely replace the fuel-resistant rubber NRV "pip"
    This is a safety-critical item and you should not operate the stove without full repair.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

10. kerophile

11. kerophile

12. ruggiers

I will take a picture and post shortly. when I take off the bottom of the pump tube, inside I have a spring, a short metal plunger type shaped piece. If I look inside the tube, I can see a black, perhaps rubber, washer with a smaller looking donut shape on the inside area. When I see threads that say to use a key to take it apart, there are no parts that look like it would require a key to take it apart. I am struggling with the terminology too. I am guessing a pip would be a 'sealing' type structure for the metal plunger? How would I make perfect new washer?
    sorry, starting to mentally fray here.

13. kerophile

Hi, once dismantled, the NRV should look like one of the two versions described and photgraphed in the link I provided above. Once you tell us which type you have, we can offer advice on how to make or obtain a replacement "pip" or washer.
    When feeling a bit mentally frayed, just remember that you are refurbishing a stove which is likely 50 or so years old. You would not expect ro get in and drive a 50 year old car if it was still using the original tires, brake linings and wiring!
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

14. ruggiers

15. ruggiers

16. ruggiers

17. kerophile

Hi, from the link, you appear to have the ring washer-type of NRV Washer. It was suggested that it had an Outer diameter of approx 8 mm and an inner diameter of around 3-4mm.
    Is your washer damaged in any way? Is it hard or supple? It should indent and spring back if prodded with a blunt point or screwdriver blade.
    If faulty, Please could you measure your example so we can see if you can make or buy a replacement fuel-resistant washer.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

18. kerophile

19. kerophile

Hi, one of our CCS Members posted these dimensions for an Enders ring-washer type NRV:

20. ruggiers

I peered inside the tube with a magnifying glass. it looks good. I also gently pushed in with the eraser end of a pencil and it appeared to give and push back.
    the brass plunger type piece has a depressed side (opposite the spring peg side). It is just a clean brass area. no washer or rubber on it.
    I had the tank about half full.