Enders 9063

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Michael Caputo, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Michael Caputo United States

I was gifted an Original Enders Benzin Baby 9063. I got it to work but not up to the level of where it should be from the videos I was watching on youtube. Can anyone recommend a service that refurbs these stoves?

2. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout Subscriber

If you replace the fuel cap seal, pump seals and pump leather it will probably run great. If performance is still lacking, I'd change the cotton wick. Seals can be found on eBay and wicks can be replaced with cotton mop material.
    Optimus No:8R First Steps: Filler Cap & Wick

3. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Hi Michael
    How many pump strokes do you use?

Does it start OK and then fade?

Is it a weak performer no matter the amount of pump strokes?

Are the flames yellow instead of blue?

a pic or two would help?

And apart from that - its a great little powerhouse!

4. Michael Caputo United States

Thanks to you both for your replies.

I did not count the strokes but it was a lot.

The flame is blue for less than an inch right out of the nozzle then it is yellow. It is hard to see and I could not really get any good pictures of it.

The stove was in a drawer in an old wood shop that was not temp controlled. It could have been there for 30 years, or 10.

When I first pumped it some black liquid came out of the nozzle. I topped it off with white gas, then I started like you are supposed to and it fired up but like I wrote above the flame is only blue for an maybe an inch right out of the nozzle then it is yellow.

It burns for a long time, I was thinking to let it burn out all the fuel but it was going for a good 10 mintues and I just stopped it and thought maybe I could find somebody who could refurb it to get it working like new. I don't want to take it apart myself, yet, at this point for fear of damaging it beyond repair or not properly reassembling it.

I have attached a link to a short video but the sun was bright and the flame was hard to see. You can catch glimpses of the flame and you can def hear the roar, but the roar sounds much milder than the videos of fully functional stoves I am seeing on youtube. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Link to video here; https://photos.app.goo.gl/5rSZah41iDJcH7rs5

5. Harder D. Soerensen

I agree - It looks meager
    1) have you tried pricking the jet?
    In the lid is normally a pricking rod like this (thickness is around 0.25 - 0.26mm?) with this or similar (no brute force with larger items) you can carefully prick the jet inside the burner bowl while the stove is running. If flames go out - just quickly light it again - did that change the flames?

2111A04D-6DF9-42C7-A8B8-D1977182720F.jpeg

2) You mention old gasoline/fuel in the fount —> I would flush the fount completely with some carburator cleaner and then some clean Coleman Fuel or similar (never gasoline from the pump).

3) Pump the fount quite hard and then submerge the fount in warm water to check for leaks (bubbles will show). Note that the pump shaft will bubble untill filled. If no bubbles show continously - its good.

4) Fill it again with good clean fuel and let it run for like 30 min.

5) How did it go?

6. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Pricking it as mentioned above always neccessary.

Also wondering if you pump functions properly......have you oiled leather cup?

7. Michael Caputo United States

Thank you Harder. What part is the fount?

And to Majicwrench no, I have not oiled the leather cup. I have not disassembled the stove and I am hoping I don't have to.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2020
  8. Michael Caputo United States

Also, how do you flush the fount? I don't quite understand what you mean that the pump shaft will bubble until filled.

9. Harder D. Soerensen

The fount is the tank.
    By flushing I mean empty out what ever is in the tank right now and make sure its as clean as you can by pouring some fresh clean fuel in it - shaking it thoroughly and then emptying it. The color and condition of the outcoming fuel can give you a hint on how dirty it may be.
    If you unscrew the pump and its pump shaft - and look carefully up on the inside which faces down towards the pump shaft - you should see a large rubber O-ring between the pump top and the shaft (well). That O-ring is holding the pump itself inside the pump shaft. Carefully remove the O-ring and you should be able to dissamble the pump itself from the pump shaft. The leather cup making the pump pressure should be in one piece and well oiled. Engine oil or similiar will do.

Assemble and try again?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  10. Michael Caputo United States

Thank you Harder. I will fiddle with it later this week and let you know how I make out. Mike

11. Harder D. Soerensen

Anytime.
    The mentioned O-ring can be seen here in a greenish color.

88421715-D971-42F5-9DB3-C8BB5082C592.jpeg 2025D593-CEEF-4FC6-BCC5-97CAB1107F0C.jpeg

12. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

@Harder D. Soerensen great picture, that Oring tends to hold things together (especially when old and hard) and needs to be picked out before pump tube will slip out.

13. Harder D. Soerensen

@Majicwrench
    Thank you - it took me a while to figure out - with a little help from one of @presscall great posts.
    And to @Michael Caputo
    Here is a pic of mine up and running full speed:

B7484DA4-C122-49C6-B2A3-E58D84132F1D.jpeg

14. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

@Harder D. Soerensen , I stuggled with mine quite a bit longer than I should have before I figured it out.

And the pump itself is kind odd, with the Oring that seals the shaft.

@Michael Caputo looking forward to more pictures!

15. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

16. Michael Caputo United States

Hello All, I just got around to getting the fount cleaned out and I have the pump out. Before I go any further I thought I would share some pictures and get some advice. Last thing I want to do is a rush job and ruin the stove. There was quite a bit of debris in the fount and the wick was very long and you can see it inside and if you shake the fount hard enough it will come out of the opening where the tube is inserted. Here is a link with a few pics. I can send more if need be. The pump shaft is also covered in a green tint. Should I clean that off with brasso or something similar? https://photos.app.goo.gl/GEGeB9gv2kTiXwKJ7

17. Harder D. Soerensen

I can understand why your Baby is not running on all cylinders.

You can get some good insight here from @presscall posts
    Wick change and a spot of surgery, Enders Baby

and here where you can see how your pump tube (just shorter) should look like - I would dissamble it and check the little spring is “springy” and that the black rubber is not rockhard.
    Two types of Enders NRVs

judging from the wick threads - your wick is gone —> you need a replacement, which can be made from any 100 % pure Cotton wick for a regular old Kero lamp or some Mopping threads (be sure its 100% Cotton by setting it on fire - if it scorches to black dust -its ok. The tiniest melting and you should pass.
    If you want I’ll be happy to send you a new wick for the postage.

Be very careful when unscrewing the regulating mechanism from the tank as the tank is thin-walled and you can easily overdo the little nut there.
    In most cases it has some kind of thread-locker sealant from factory.

If you are sure the tank has no leftover fuel inside (be sure of this - might flush it with water) then you can apply a sharp little pen torch flame tip on the little nut while trying not to damage the paint - with some luck it might come loose afterwards.
    be careful with force here as you may easily wreck the tank. A trick is to secure your tightfitting key in a vice and then turning the tank around in order to separate the mechanism from the tank.
    Brasso is not good on brass in the long run as it contains ammonia - I would use some 0000- steel wool (the finest) with some oil in it.
    Or when you have it dissambled - a bath in some Citric acid first.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  18. Michael Caputo United States

I am having a hard time disassembling the pump. I can not unseat the o-ring. It does not appear to be rubber or is like a hard plastic. It seems like the only way to disassemble the pump is to destroy the o-ring.

19. kerophile

Hi @Michael Caputo . Yes, the only way to dismantle the pump is to carefully destroy the seal at the top of the pump cylinder.

Tank seals on Enders gasoline stoves

The best tool is a small screwdriver or pick. The seal is likely to be rock hard and needs to be cracked into pieces in-situ, before individual pieces are picked out.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

20. kerophile