Enders Benzin-Gaskocher No. 9061 - Baujahr 1962 - Revived

Discussion in 'Enders' started by Robert Jones, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Robert Jones

Robert Jones United States Subscriber

About 40 years ago I acquired an Enders Benzin-Gaskocher No. 9061 (former Bundeswehr) stove from a military surplus store in Kansas. I tried to get it running again but failed. I did not have the necessary knowledge and parts to succeed. Instead, I spent a lot of time doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different (better) result. Insane, yes. One night, while futilely working on it outside, my wife (new to me then) locked me out in the cold and put a note on the window that said “Sleep With Your Stove!” I gave up on it. Time passed, but I kept the old stove. Earlier this summer, she reminded me of that episode (which apparently still annoys her ;-), and I resolved to finish what I’d started. Thanks to the great information on this website, and with the help of The Fettle Box and Markus @Russenjesus, I was able to bring this cool piece of Cold War equipment back to operational readiness. I recently tested its readiness by preparing hot chocolate on it for some of our grandchildren. Great success! Here are a couple of images:

Enders Benzin-Gaskocher No. 9061 - Baujahr 1962.jpg

Enders 9061 Flame.jpg

Some lessons learned during the course of this “fettle”:

These stoves were issued to the German soldiers with a complement of spare parts to allow maintenance in the field. Here’s a list of these parts: fuel pump cup (leather), fuel pump cup gasket, fuel pump tube gasket, fuel pump non-return valve (“NRV”) gasket, NRV cup, NRV spring, fuel cap gasket, fuel pressure safety-release valve (“SRV”) cone, SRV spring, SRV pip, fuel jet, fuel jet cleaning needle, nadelhalter steckschlüssel (a/k/a “clock key”) for removing the cleaning needle, and graphite packing (x2) for the fuel control valve and cleaning needle valve.

The following non-metal parts in the fuel pump, fuel tank caps (including spare), or found in the spare parts tin will probably need to be replaced due to age:
    1. Fuel pump cup (leather)
    2. Fuel pump cup gasket or “O” ring (seals pump cup against shaft on downstroke)
    3. Fuel pump tube gasket (seals tube to fuel tank)
    4. NRV gasket*
    5. Fuel cap gaskets
    6. SRV pips

* If you choose to fabricate this part the dimensions appear to be 11mm wide & 2mm thick with a 3mm center hole. Viton® should be the material used.

These parts may also need to be replaced:
    1. Graphite packing in fuel control valve and/or cleaning needle valve (if leaks are found)
    2. NRV spring (if rusty/deteriorated)
    3. SRV springs (if rusty/deteriorated)
    Most of these parts are not easy to find, but it can be done. (Searching the world over can be part of the fun ;-)

Fuel tank capacity is about 400ml, but for proper functioning the tank should not be filled by more than 75% (i.e., with not more than 300 ml). Duration of burn at sea level should be up to 3.5 hours.

MSR SuperFuel works quite well in this stove.

But instead of using stove fuel for priming (as called for in the directions on the data plate), use denatured alcohol. It is much cleaner (no soot).

Thank you everyone!

2. janders

janders Subscriber

Great post! Welcome to CCS!

3. Dutchmike

The first impression of your main picture I got was a stove with some spillage of soot or other black matter. But then I recognized the pattern of a tablecloth, which does away with perhaps even more 'friction' between the stove and you wife. I think you came to the right place, regardless. And, perhaps due to the time involved, you got yourself a stove that likely was never used, typical NOS. Those are hard to find nowadays and you have a nice one indeed. I am impressed this stove did not faze you despite the initial troubles, as this is a typical, over-engineered piece of german technology, but of exquisite quality. Enders' stoves have a loyal following in N.America as well, perhaps for that reason alone. 'Welkom' to this site, regards, Mike

4. Daryl

Daryl United States Subscriber

Was wondering how they perform? Can see they work well on high, but do they have full range of adjustability down to simmer? Off and on I have wanted one, but never really want to pay up for a really nice example like yours. Had a baby one several decades ago before I appreciated the joy of the pre-heat. Traded it for a ratty 200a single mantle lantern and that was before I learned how soothing they are. Daryl sunny HOT SoCal

5. Robert Jones

Robert Jones United States Subscriber

Performs quite well, in my opinion. I’ve been impressed with the range of adjustability. It’s a much better stove for actually cooking on than the old MSR XGK snow-melting machine I’ve been using since the late 80s. (Of course, that’s not saying much ;-) The 9061 is pleasantly quiet, too. And I really like the stability.

But most compelling to me are this stove’s design and high quality of manufacture. An unnecessarily complicated design, perhaps, but one I find a joy to behold, and fun to work on as well. So much fun, in fact, that I’m working on another one now as a birthday present for my son. Expect we'll be backpacking with it on a family trip next month. Bob rainy humid ATL

6. Daryl

Daryl United States Subscriber

Bob, Thank you for your comprehensive review. Glad to hear it can simmer and you mentioned an important feature of this stove being very stable. Cooking platform looks normal pan size friendly. Also like that it comes with it own storage case which will keep other items clean. Stay cool, Daryl