Epigas Alpine

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Simes, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Simes

Simes Subscriber

For several years after about 1990 I cycle toured around Brittany and Normandy, at that time I had virtually nothing to speak of for camping trips but managed to compile enough bits and pieces on the small budget I had.

The Alpine was one of several stoves recommended in outdoor magazines at the time so went out and bought one.

WP_20200327_14_54_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20200327_14_55_25_Pro.jpg

Apologies for.not rotating the images.

WP_20200327_15_04_21_Pro.jpg

I toured for several years after that and the Alpine went on every trip, each tour lasting approx 2 weeks. The set up here was my original 'kitchen'.

I thought that they would be budget holidays, but ended up anything but when you really start to look at reducing bulk and weight, and especially when you get a decent touring bike.

WP_20200327_15_05_05_Pro.jpg

As @Big Si noticed last year the o ring had gone on the valve so I had to dig in the selection box to replace the crumbly bits that fell out.

So while I have it out and running I might as well cook something for dinner, Chorizo and instant noodles will do.

WP_20200327_15_19_29_Pro.jpg

Fry chopped sausage and transfer to bowl, add water and boil, add noodles cook until done, drain then add to fried sausage.

WP_20200327_15_32_47_Pro.jpg

Collapsible bowls were not available then.

2. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

@Simes

One of my favorite Gas stoves and I have many. The gas stove I recommend and give away to friends the most. They work and work well, you need minimal maintenance to keep them running and they are very controllable. I must have given five or six of these to friends and family over the years and never had any returns. The other thing is they are normally as cheap as chips to buy as no one seems to want them. An added bonus is they will burn liquid gas, so in colder weather, you can invert the canister and keep running.

Si

3. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@Big Si, you, me and John @presscall are the only members of the EAFC (Epigas Alpine Fan Club) AFAIK.

4. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Simes wrote, "@Big Si, you, me and John @presscall are the only members of the EAFC (Epigas Alpine Fan Club) AFAIK."

The late Fyldefox (Keith Lakin) was a big fan of the Epigas. His name sprang to mind as soon as I saw Simes' pic.

5. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Of.course @Ian, iirc the original modifier of the stove into Lidl Trangia copies.

One of the reasons I've occasionally looked for another better condition and I can fully retire mine to a nice cosy existence encased in alumin(i)um.

6. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

7. Simes

Simes Subscriber

That's the one. :) :)

I'll have to do more regular auction searching rather than when I can be bothered.

8. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Use the saved search facility. EBay sends you an email every time your search words are listed.