Eskilstuna No.1 (c.1910?)

Discussion in 'K.F. Eriksson's (KFE)' started by igh371, Jul 6, 2019.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC08846.JPG

This 'Eskilstuna' has had a long and hard life and there is not the documentation to be able to be too precise about its date of production. The 1911 and 1912 Erikssons' catalogues in the reference library would seem to be a little later in date than this stove, but the key features are all there: the external-NRV which seems to have become confined to the 'Svecia' branded offerings by the times of those later catalogues, and the distinctive leg shape which had then been inherited by the 'Prince' brand line. The elaborate font used in the main tank legends seems to have been superceded by the time of the 1911/12 catalogues too.

DSC08842.JPG DSC08843.JPG DSC08845.JPG DSC08849.JPG DSC08844.JPG

The stove appears to have spent most, if not all, of its life in Russia and careful examination of the photographs will reveal several Russian origin substitute parts. The burner and riser are old Soviet units, apparently from the 1960s. I have elected to retain these as neither is compatible with the threads on any other components that I possess, and they are part of the history. The pressure release screw is marked 'Искра' ('The Spark'), 'Москва' (Moscow), and I am not sure what to make of the pump rod end knob. The pump tube cap was an utterly worn out 'Prometheus' marked item, this was another old brand found in Russia although possibly originating from Germany!

DSC08850.JPG DSC08867.JPG DSC08866 (2).JPG DSC08865 (2).JPG DSC08847.JPG DSC08848.JPG

The height of the burner unit relative to the legs is such that it can only have been intended to have been used with the lift to pan given by a cast iron trivet. The original cast trivet must have been long-since gone, but I have also been lucky enough to obtain a history-appropriate old Soviet era trivet thanks to the great generosity of one of our Russian members.

DSC08840.JPG DSC08841.JPG (The legends here translate roughly as "Artel 'Bolshevik' Dnipropetrovsk BKPO")

With work now done to the pump, the burner, and the drilling out of the blocked NRV-tank vents and the blocked jet nipple, we now have a functioning stove. The only completely new parts needed were a pump leather cup and a cork NRV pip!!!

DSC08870.JPG

DSC08869.JPG

@Bratok_xxl acknowledged with gratitude.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  2. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

Wow...
    Some words about completation:
    From my point of view - this is great history object/fact...
    Yours "long hand" take it from area where the thousands families was moved at beggining of WWI - my family too - was on Amur river.
    беженство 1915 года
    Far East - was place for Many - in Russian Empire.
    --------------
    in late 20-ties there was moved next group - unwanted - or represioned.
    that group was constructed partially with nationality "key"

maximum of that process seems to be 1937 - "stalinism"

after 17.09.1939 - many of us - was deported on "Siberia"

Till this time - They are backing home - or live there.

Tank - around 1910
    ISKRA late 20-ties
    PROMETHEUS 30-ties
    Tuła parts - 60-ties
    @igh371

3. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

A great story @igh371 . Lots of history in this stove. :thumbup:

4. Bratok_xxl Russian Federation

This be a fun adventure with Russian Post and other =) But Eskilstuna come to UK, have now new home and better hands. Gratz, we do it =)

5. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

This information from the Eskilstuna town archive seems to provide earliest date for this stove. Production date for this stove would then be narrowed down to 1908-10. One of the first generation of Eriksson's stove production.

6. AndersX Sweden

Wow!
    Nice! :clap:

I am born in Eskilstuna.
    It's known for good quality, metal industri.
    ASSA. EKA-knives...

Anders

7. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Fascinating,,, stove and history,,, lovely to see it still burning...

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Great post, Ian!

Cheers

Tony