1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fettling materials & tools - what to use & where to find them

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Spiritburner, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

I've created this sticky post so we can post info & sources of materials & tools we use for fettling our stoves eg washer material, punch kits, etc.

Wherever possible please avoid posting direct links to ebay auctions as these expire & lose their relevance. If the items is from a regular seller of the material, a good description & a link to their shop or 'for sale' items should suffice.

2. RonPH

Another one of the more useful ideas. Thanks a lot!

:clap:

3. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Here's some UK suppliers that I've used and been very pleased with.

Leather for making your own pump leathers ( should you not wish to avail yourself of Sefa's excellent leathers):

Quaker House Quail

Citric Acid Crystals for brass stove cleaning:

Just a Soap

General metal working supplies particularly small quantities of stock metal for stove repair work/making replacement parts:

Chronos Tools

More to follow as I dig out old paperwork.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. lanevitt United Kingdom

Here is a produst i have used many times in the workshop. This one is made by Auto Glym and it is called intensive tar remover. It's a large bottle and you don't need much, so it will last for ages. I am sure any car shop like Halfords sell it. Spray it on, leave it for a few minutess and give it a tickle with an old tooth brush. ;) nice and clean.
    1250519190-tar_remover.gif

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. DAVE GIBSON United States

how is it on brass??..

6. Spiritburner

I haven't used this but I do use T-Cut colour restorer on some tins after testing a small area first, then finish with Simoniz polish which as recommended to me by a museum conservator because it doesn't contain silicone (I forgot why silicone was 'bad')

7. lanevitt United Kingdom

Its not an aggressive cleaner at all and it will soften and melt most oil-based contaminants. It's great on the spirit cups, with a bit of steel wool. As far as harming brass or copper, there is no fear of that.

Andrew.

8. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Woven Brass Mesh for fuel filters per lipstick burners and other stoves that use a mesh fuel filter. It's available in different weaves sizes. For example I measured the mesh from a Primus 96 and found it was 20 holes per inch, but other stove types have different mesh sizes.

The Mesh Company

9. Spiritburner

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  10. Heavenly Fiddler United States

11. lanevitt United Kingdom

How many of us went out and purchased a domestic steam cleaner, thinking no more buying detergents, cleaning fluids, etc. just like the commercials told us it would do. Well, I did ! :doh: and like most people suckered in found it to be a bit pants!!

Well I have dragged it from the back of the kitchen cupboard and placed it in the workshop. Should be good for steaming out fuel tanks etc.

1253128946-Steam_cleaning_machine_steam_cleaner.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  12. Petromax828

Well, I have been thinking of getting one ever since I saw it the first time on TV-Shop. Have seen a lot of different versions in the stores, and to different prices also, but so far haven't really heard any comments on if they are any good or not. As you mentioned, it could work in the workshop to use for cleaning out old fuel. What about cleaning old kero wicks - would it do for that also?

If anyone else has one, please write down your thoughts about them, it will make it easier to decide...

13. lanevitt United Kingdom

Hi All

Here is a usefull thing; printable rulers if you are adding pictures to the forum and need a size reference.

I am not taking credit for this as I saw an image of a, M1942 spanner somewhere here lying on one of the pages. http://vendian.org/mncharity/

14. Big BTU

Big BTU United States Subscriber

Aim N Flame or jet type lighter. I use them to soften/loosen up old gaskets etc. Makes them a lot easier to pry out. Also graphite powder for lubrication and also adding to the valve packings.

15. -/- Denmark

16. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

In the US, you can buy pure citric acid crystals in the supermarket's coffee aisle as "Kaptan #2" coffeemaker cleaner.

Murph

17. davidcolter

I have just received and used a 'Vintage 15 piece Repair/Service Pack Primus Stove' from eBay.

I got it mostly for the universal jointed jet nipple key which worked fine and enabled me to give my Radius a good cleanout. The other bits are handy to have too. The pump leathers, filler cap washers and burner washers all looked fine, flexible and not cracked.

18. madmaxdoom

Hi people - just my 10cents worth.

I remove nipples from stove, pump and NRV if I can then I remove burners. Next I fill a big pot with white vinegar and put the stove and the burner in to soak overnight. In the morning, a good shrub with a tooth brush and/or a nail brush will bring off most of the discoloration. Then a good rinse in water and a dry out. Some car cut and polish will do the rest.

19. RonPH

You should not soak it overnight as by that time the brass will look red and more scrubbing will be required. You need to monitor and if the brass looks to turn red you need to take it out.

Ron

20. -/- Denmark

When the brass (copper-zinc alloy) turns red it is a clear sign that the alloy has lost it's zinc and only copper is left behind by the corroding process.
    Left long enough the remaining copper will resemble a sponge, be brittle and might leak at any given time. I use 1 teaspoon of citric acid to 1 liter of boiling water and leave for no more than 45-55min.

What most people might not know is this crucial fact:
    When the temperature of a chemical process is raised by 10degC the process will run at half the time. Or double speed if you want. So if it takes 2 hrs at 20degC it will take 1 hr at 40degC. So time and temperature matters a lot!

Remember that what is lost can't be replaced in an alloy, and the piece will permanently be lost!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015