Fettling My 111

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Cookie, May 25, 2020.

1. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

I received this 111 in damaged condition. I bought it that way from the bay of evil if memory serves me right. The case had a broken hinge, detached stove mounts, a bent tube that has the burner offset and twisted, an out of shape flame ring, font screw missing, warped/bent pre-heating cup, hardened and cracked fuel cap seal, and it's share of rust. Also, the burner doesn't face straight up and is twisted some.

I watched a BernieDawg video about brazing and soldering and it got me to thinking that I just might be able to save the case. I ordered the items that would enable to start repairing stoves based upon his recommendations and I must say that I have had decent success on the first try. Tomorrow I will start looking for a replacement screw or making one if need be. Does anyone know what the thread and pitch on a 111 font screw might be ?

Before
    DSC_0003 (Medium).JPG DSC_0005 (Medium).JPG DSC_0006 (Medium).JPG DSC_0012 (Medium).JPG DSC_0016 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_0018 (Medium).JPG

2. Cookie

I sil-brazed the hinge and font attachment bars, gave the font an initial polish because it was past "patina" on the bottom, did some initial bending of the burner tube, and changed the fuel cap seal.

After fettling today
    20200524_172511.jpg DSC_0020 (Medium).JPG

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  3. abman47

abman47 Subscriber

@Cookie the good news is that the font screws are a common metric thread; the bad news that I don't remember the thread and pitch(I've got CRS). You can do what I did and take your font to an ACE(or any hardware store and fit the screws.

4. Cookie

@abman47 Thanks man. That is exactly what I planned on doing tomorrow or the next day. I don't know if they are open on memorial day or not.

5. abman47

abman47 Subscriber

Cool! It was quick, a couple of minutes and I was out of there with several spares in various finishes: black, brass, stainless steel...

6. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

Nice work man. :thumbup:

I need to get the equipment for brazing. I'll need it sooner or later.

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I'm restoring a 111B now, waiting for the sticker and a flame ring to finish. Painting was done a couple weeks ago. Just what I needed, a third "B".
    Duane

8. Cookie

I only have one 111B and this 111 in my collection. This will be a worker stove for my winter hikes.

9. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

With my dog now, I've been using smaller stoves to save a little weight as I pack a light pad for him and a larger tent for us both when snow camping. In the past I used a 111 of some flavor or a Primus 41 or 43 of some configuration.
    Duane

10. Cookie

Started fitting all of the parts together today. Realized that I had to adjust the burner placement due to the pump handle hitting the pot support and thus had to move the left font bracket. I also had to re-braze the lid hinge because the lit was binding when opening. I substituted a Primus 210 burner ring for the tests since the other one is so bad in shape. I found some screws for the font to mount to the brackets at Ace Hardware (see picture). The I finally got everything to about where it needs to be for adjustment and fired it up for the first test boil. Everything went as expected. Now to start with the cosmetics. :D/ 20200525_153416.jpg 20200525_154426.jpg 20200525_104107a.jpg

11. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Congratulations Cookie on the achievement so far. :thumbup:

12. Cookie

13. boknasild

boknasild Subscriber

@Cookie

You have real user stove there.
    This version with roarer and kerosene is the best.

Bjørn

14. Cookie

@boknasild This is the reason that I bought it. I wanted to perhaps save one from the junk yard bin so to speak and rebuild it so that I could use it without fear of really damaging it.

@The Warrior Thank you

15. Cookie

Finally I get to post this lol. All is complete with the fettling job except ordering a new sticker. The color is Rustoleum Hunter Green. The grey paint on the heat shield is 2000°F heat resistant paint. I chose to paint the flame shield due to the extensive rust under the chrome. I performed a boil test today using room temperature tap water. The stove boiled four cups of water to a slight boil at 6:00 and a hard rolling boil at 9:52 when set to an estimated 75% power output (due to pot size).

Final Testing

DSC_0012 (Medium).JPG DSC_0003 (Medium).JPG DSC_0007 (Medium).JPG DSC_0008 (Medium).JPG

16. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Bravo.

17. Cookie

18. Geoff Chirnside

WOW!!! you are worthy indeed. Congratulations on such a fine rescue, I am sure it will now give you years of good service.

Geoff

19. Cookie

@Geoff Chirnside Thanks Geoff. I hope to be able to use it for many years to come.

20. CW

CW United States Subscriber

She is a runner well done