Fettling My coleman 400B

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Greeley, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

Thinking of downsizing my collection, so I thought I would test my 400B before offering it for sale since it has sat for a while. Working condition? Not!!

I could feel air escaping from the pump when I took my thumb off the hole to close it after pumping, so OK, the NRV is stuck. So took the pump out and soaked it in WD-40 for a while. No luck. Still air leak. So soaked it longer with Kroil, then worked the rod back and forth. Success! So I pumped it up and lit it; nice flame. Let it run for a while, then shut it off.

Now I could hear air escaping and smelled fuel near the burner. Yup, the Schrader valve was leaking! So, removed the valve assembly and replaced the Schrader valve with a new Viton-type (I had purchased a set of four for my earlier fettle of another 400. (If you look back at the post of my earlier 400 repair you can find my source for the valves.)

Back together, no leaks, great flame! (But I DO like my earlier 400 with the two fuel control levers better than the 400B with a single lever.)

Remember, you cannot use a standard auto tire Schrader valve for this repair. They are not fuel-resistant.

Tom

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Good point Tony.

John

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber