Fiesta M1950 made 1981

Discussion in 'Military' started by Daryl, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Daryl

Daryl United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Got this Fiesta a couple decades ago from Sportsman Guide a US retailer sold as NOS. Came with case and all the goodies in pump, outside jet holder and wrench. Burns loud and hot. Daryl sunny Socal
    100_8129.JPG 100_8130.JPG 100_8131.JPG 100_8132.JPG 100_8128.JPG 100_8133.JPG 100_8134.JPG

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  2. Daryl

Daryl United States SotM Winner Subscriber

In use photo's
    20200729_073204.jpg 20190402_065037.jpg

3. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

Back when Sportmans Guide sold real US surplus. I Should have got one back then, but the Stove Bug hadn't bitten as hard then. I was quite content with a Svea 123. Who needs a heavier, top heavy, older design? Also regret not scooping up a couple Swedish M41 Schnussbarks when they were going for peanuts. But that's life.
    That is a nice GI stove.

4. Dartanyon Australia

I've recently bought one of these stoves at some markets and its in great condition, being a lover of the Svea 123, I just couldnt resist buying it.
    Unfortunately it's missing the screw from the centre of the regulator knob. I've tried lots of screws that look like the right size but they only go in about 1 turn, I think the thread is damaged. Can anyone please tell me what thread the screw is?

Cheers,
    Dave

5. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

@SveaSizzler , up here, self pressurizing white gas stoves are all but useless, you really need a pump on a stove to get 'er up and running when it gets sod all COLD!

I left my M1950 outside overnight to see how it would be affected by -13 deg F temps. Pumped it up, dribbled a bit of white gas into the preheat cup, and lit it - lit and burned like I was lighting a wax candle!

Twenty seconds later, the prime cup found it's legs, and another 30 seconds - opened the main valve, and off we went!

Murph

6. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

I've never had an M-1950 so I can't comment on it. I know the military was pleased with them even after Vietnam, then they started issuing Peak 1s and later MSRs.
    I have used the Svea 123 at altitude, in snow, and there are ways to make it work. An ensolite pad for insulation under the stove is needed. Shielding from wind is necessary. You have to prime the hell out of it, but I've done it.
    When it's what you have, you make it work, or freeze.
    A carbon felt ring around the regulator base at the priming cup is a recent innovation, but would sure help in an extra-priming situation. I never had the Optimus Mini Pump.

7. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

Dave, I don't know but there are tools to measure. Consider taking it to a business that sells screws to manufacturers/mechanics etc. It will cost more than trial and error but get the right answer immediately.

The usual (but not only) problem is using imperial vs metric threading, but there are other threads as well.

8. Dartanyon Australia

Thanks Scrambler, I think someone has tried a bit too hard to get a screw to fit so the first part of the thread is possibly damaged making a thread guage difficult to use.
    I have lots of different thread taps but without knowing the actual thread I'm not going to try.

Most of my collected stoves are naphtha/petrol/hydrocarbon stoves and from what i've researched they are pretty much all that work in freezing and at altitude, i've never been able to test at those conditions. If i ever go there I'm taking at least one of my stoves..

Cheers,
    Dave

9. Dartanyon Australia

If anyone could even post a closeup pic of the screw that would be helpful

10. Murph

@Dartanyon , I'll dig mine out a bit later and run the screw through a thread checker here.

11. Dartanyon Australia

Thanks Murph :):thumbup:

12. Murph

@Dartanyon , the screw thread is #4-40. Not sure that will be a lot of help down under, sorry to say.

Murph

13. Dartanyon Australia

Cool, thanks Murph!
    All good, I'll look it up :D

Cant wait to give this stove a whirl, US military issue i recon it'll just about work under water

Cheers,
    Dave

UNC - Unified Coarse Threads (no wonder i couldn't find it)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021