Fire Maple FMS-F3

Discussion in 'China' started by yonadav, Feb 19, 2013.

1. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

Dan,

There is a manual pricker, but you have to take the flame plate off to use it. Not very practical. There is some fluffy filter in the bottom of the jet, looks like glass-wool. I think it is wise to only use filtered fuel in this stove.

Yonadav

2. Li Ding

:shock: it has 4 jet ! K and G it's a good news

3. 0853RV3R

Hi Yonadav, hi all,
    I'm new to the forum and I just baught the same stove (FMS-F3) recently.
    Yonadav. Can you please describe how you planned to add, (or done adding) a priming pad to the stove? Make one by yourself or use the one from the other stove you already have?

Koy

4. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

Hello Koy, and Welcome!

The way I make priming pads is with a suitable length of fiberglass rope (typically about 5 - 8 CM). I tie a ring of wire around both ends to prevent the rope from unwinding, and find a spot where I can have it stuck under the burner.

I bought a length of fiberglass rope on eBay - it is typically used for sealing around doors of fireplaces.

Yonadav

5. 0853RV3R

Yonadav,

Thanks for the quick reply and welcomming.

I tried to find the fiberglass rope from many local online store. Mostly, they sell it in +20kg roll package!!!
    So I tried searching again and found a similar product which used in an e-cigarette modification. It's a twisted fiberglass wick, 2.5mm in diameter (a bit too small I think). They sell 1meter of it for about 2.8 USD. So I decide to give it a try.

I'm wandering how big of the rope you use.

Greetings from Thailand,
    Koy

6. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Electrical wholesalers sell a fibreglass insulating sleeve for use on wires near heating elements Its a tube not a rope but works well and comes in 150mm lengths

7. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. 0853RV3R

Thank you.

9. 0853RV3R

Hi Yonadav,

My FMS-F3 arrived a couple of days ago and I had good times cooking on it. (This is my first liquid-fuel stove, of course I'm happy and exite :D ) However, I noticed that the flame is kind of yellowish, similar to the flame in your first flame shots. (I used unleaded gasoline because white gas is not avilable around here.)

I also noticed that the flame in your second set of flameshot (kerosese fueled) is nice and blue. I'll try kerosene too as soon as I get the fiberglass thing. For now I'll try changing the jet and see what's coming out.

Btw, I have a few questions.
    How long should I have to wait after the flame goes out (by flipping the bottle) to close the control valve?
    Do you think it's possible to use MSR's fuel line and pump with this stove?

Koy

10. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

Hello Koy,

After you flip the tank, simply wait for the flame to die and the hissing of air coming out to stop.

As for the MSR pump and fuel line, what MSR fuel line are you talking about? I am not aware of any MSR detachable fuel lines.

Yonadav

11. 0853RV3R

Hi Yonadav,

I saw the guy in the DVD that come with the stove detach the fuel line from the stove body to clean it. Then I have a though that if MSR (maybe XGK) fuel line can be fitted to F3 body maybe I can buy (cheap) used MSR line and pump from ebay to upgrade the stove.

And thanks for the advice. Now I can turn the stove off without an amount of gasoline coming out from the jet anymore. :thumbup: :thumbup:
    (This might change my mind about upgrading it :) )

Koy

12. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

Hi Koy,

I am still not aware of any MSR fuel line that can be easily attached to the FMS. Let me know if I'm missing something here.

Yonadav

13. Lachrymose

@ Yonadav (or anyone who knows the answer) - I assume that, since the pump is permanently attached to the fuel line, then there is no inner cleaning/scouring wire in the fuel line, as in the MSR multi-fuel stoves (Whisperlite, XGK)? If this is so, and added to the absence of an MSR shaker jet type of jet cleaning set-up, then is it reasonable to assume that this stove is not really suitable for anything less than very clean fuel sources?

14. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

Yes, I tend to agree that fuel filtering is a necessary precaution on this stove. I typically use a piece of cloth from an old T-shirt, placed in the funnel that I use for filling tanks. (Being a careful type of person, I filter the fuel for ALL stoves.)

Yonadav

15. Li Ding

hi yonadav: it has a .31 kero jet? :shock: that's good !

i think i am going to buy one of this. :p

16. 3lions Philippines

hi there, I have also a F3 burner for almost 5 years and its tube is leaking due for long years. im planning to change a new tube and upgrade it to multi fuel, so I can use a butane canister. any suggestion on this plan. TYI.

17. 3lions Philippines

18. 3lions Philippines

planning to upgrade my F3 to multi fuel, any idea. TIA